Physical Media, where do we see it in 20 years.

popol_vuh

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 24, 2007
Croatia
AKA
Zvonimir
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is difficult to say - what will happen to physical media in 20 years.

Culturally, we seem to live lives where our interactions with experiences - generally speaking - seem to get more and more shallow, they get faster and faster. We grow more and more distracted, lose the ability to truly concentrate. Interactions are mostly incorporated in various mixtures of multitasking. Also, music is mostly seen as commodity, not as art. People even accept terms like "music consumption" without even realizing what they're saying. This all pushes towards death of physical media, which is impractical for this kind of usage.

On the other hand - there's plenty of people who miss physical stuff, who realize that unconcentrated consumption leads to lesser experience and satisfaction, sometimes and for some - even anxiety. These people probably want "slower" experiences. Sitting down and reading a book, taking your time. Sitting down, listening to an album - in its entirety...these are kinds of experiences opposite to the above, which lend themselves to stuff like quality hi-fi in your room, vinyl, printed books etc. There's plenty of research nowadays in field of education which shows we're surely becoming aware of what happens with these quick experiences and the need for slow experience. Will this shift the capitalistic urge for more and more, faster and faster consumption? Also - we're extremely mobile in every way nowadays - this doesn't work well with physical media.

I do think that physical and non-physical media can co-exist beautifully. If I'm in my car or walking in nature - sure, some kind of storage and digital files or streaming would be the choice. When I'm at home and want to seriously listen - hi fi and vinyl is here. If I want to check some quick information - internet and my computer or phone are here. If I want to truly study something - physical books and my armchair are here. Everything has its place.

I do believe that if physical media was completely out of our lives - we'd all start to miss it. I think that something in us is wired in such a way that we want physicality of things. But on the other hand - I also believe that we can forget this and that modes of our lives today can make us forget that. So, in essence - I believe that people should be shown various possibilities and kinds of experiences. It'd be very bad if something vanished from existence. And I also believe that physical media won't go away for a long long time. How popular will it be - that's another question.

I'm not really into collecting films - but it'd be interesting to know how many people actually collect films nowadays (not files on their computers, but on proper media - like DVDs or BluRays). To me it seems that in this area it's much worse for physical media than in music. If so, it'd be interesting to think why that may be so.

Reactions: Klassik

Klassik

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2018
Houston
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do believe that if physical media was completely out of our lives - we'd all start to miss it. I think that something in us is wired in such a way that we want physicality of things.
Klassik was at a local new/used media store a month or two ago looking at classical music CDs. The VHS videocassettes were right next to the stacks Klassik was looking at and there were two kids, neither older than 7 years old in Klassik's estimation, looking at VHS tapes. They were begging their mother to buy certain movies on VHS (Klassik knows not what they were, cartoons presumably). The mother was not at all pleased and told the kids they don't even have a "VHS player" and that the movies they wanted were available on 'Disney Plus' (presumably some sort of paid streaming service). The kids were not at all moved by this statement and insisted they buy the VHS movies.

Perhaps there is hope in the world if today's youths are wanting to save physical media. ;)

Blacksabbath25

blacksabbath25
Wammer
Aug 6, 2018
ely cambridgeshire
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still buy CDs , old Vinyl but i also buy downloaded music if i can not wait but see the conveniences in download music but miss the days of going out looking round music stores and collector stores buying music .
I do listen to all of my physical music collection still but can not see the younger generation buying CDs , Vinyl and noticed shops like Tesco no longer stock CDs or Films anymore thanks to Amazon and people like that so can not see things improving for CDs or any Physical media in the future .
And there not a big choice of streamers out there as HIFI separates as you would think that as people are manly downloading now but not on HIFI but on there Phones and small speakers that's where we are at i think .

AndyCC72

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 4, 2021
Bexley, Kent
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmvs records are way too expensive, plus I don't really buy new
They are, they take the piss.

My nephew bought me a HMV gift card for Xmas, when I went to use it online it turns out you can only redeem in-store. Absolute luddites, no wonder they’ve nearly gone under a few times.

Reactions: chezi and kernow

cidertrance

New Wammer
Jul 16, 2022
Sydney
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's some brilliantly mastered popular stuff from the '80s. George Michael, Michael Jackson, Prince, Def Leppard, Bryan Adams, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac and many others. Indeed the original release of Love Over Gold on CD is one of the most common reference/test albums, released about 10 years after the original vinyl/analogue release in '82.

Some early CD mastering was a bit duff while they were figuring stuff out, but a lot of it post '86 is fab.
That explains why Telegraph Road sounds so sublime on that CD....and I'm not even a rock fan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles