Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi RC - glad you're making some progress towards your end game set up(s)

Did you do a Sugden A21a v Exposure 3510 posting, or did I miss that ?
No you didn’t but if you could have the finesse and texture of the Sugden and the Power of the Exposure, you would have the perfect amplifier but at a price.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lovely write up jon , interesting battle of amps thats been intriguing reading to a lot of wammers ,.... harbeths love class a/b to extract their emotion and beguiling traits that you and myself desire and love ......pity you are not closer as you could have borrowed my class a/b amp to compare your audio memories ........:)......that norma for sale in the classifieds would be a contender i think ,.......take care,
One day Keith, one day 👍🏻

Reactions: deggie

Boycie

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 23, 2010
Suffolk
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Been interesting to follow this and I wish you well in concluding with journey. Like a lot of this great but sometimes annoying hobby it comes down to synergy of components and a sound that you are ultimately comfortable with. A lot of people love Naim, personally I can't get on with it. I went from Arcam to Primare when I wanted a change and at the time, nothing else in budget came close, for me. I've had my amp for 10 plus years and it still sounds as good now as at the start. I recently changed speakers and fortunately they and the amp are a good match, so I'm happy. I had wondered whether it was worth replacing my i32 with an i35 but on reflection, I don't think any minor improvement will justify the expense.

Thanks again for an interesting write up.

Boycie

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Been interesting to follow this and I wish you well in concluding with journey. Like a lot of this great but sometimes annoying hobby it comes down to synergy of components and a sound that you are ultimately comfortable with. A lot of people love Naim, personally I can't get on with it. I went from Arcam to Primare when I wanted a change and at the time, nothing else in budget came close, for me. I've had my amp for 10 plus years and it still sounds as good now as at the start. I recently changed speakers and fortunately they and the amp are a good match, so I'm happy. I had wondered whether it was worth replacing my i32 with an i35 but on reflection, I don't think any minor improvement will justify the expense.

Thanks again for an interesting write up.

Boycie
No problem 👍🏻 like I say, it’s not a bad amp but just synergy and room maybe. So many times I’ve seen people buy something and end up paying loads more by changing other kit to make it work better and still not being satisfied. Fortunately the dealer I use agrees with my findings but was keen for me to find out myself and is all to happy to ensure I’m happy.
He said that his own system is Harbeth and Linn class D and he has said it’s an excellent combination but he knows my view on Linn and knows my room 😊

Audio is a funny old game

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No you didn’t but if you could have the finesse and texture of the Sugden and the Power of the Exposure, you would have the perfect amplifier but at a price.
😄 Sounds like Restek mono blocks and their pre amp Jon. That is not a Bad description if I were asked to describe their sound though!
However I would do the same as you Jon . I think the Exposure pre and monos is a bargain and will fit well in your system.
I also feel it can be to much of a good thing which is why I have not bothered to upgrade to them from my Restek integrated.
Having said that I wonder what a Sudden pre power would sound like 😁

Reactions: Rockchild

toprepairman

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2010
Surrey
AKA
Henry
Another factor in the equation is longevity.
The Exposure is likely to outlive any class D by a factor of at least 2 to1.
Also by then the Exposure will be reasonably easy to fix but the Primare will be landfill.

hiesteem

peacebro
Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another factor in the equation is longevity.
The Exposure is likely to outlive any class D by a factor of at least 2 to1.
Also by then the Exposure will be reasonably easy to fix but the Primare will be landfill.
😂the bit about landfill was funny. My analogue amp is in its 25th year. Had it repaired 3 years ago. Good quality analogue amps if looked after and assuming we like it enough can be a very economic product in the long run.
Very good point you make indeed.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And this is what I found comparing Audio Research Accuphase Marantz Hegel and Norma they are all great but different if only the best bits of all were in one amp!

toprepairman

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 6, 2010
Surrey
AKA
Henry
Because class D is basically a switched mode power supply, with the added complication of a variable output that has to cope with producing wide band audio. All switched mode power supplies go bang eventually (yes of course there's the odd exception, which proves the rule), and they're rarely economically fixable. Most recent here being a Rotel RB1510 which would cost more to fix than buy a new one.
On the other hand just fixed an ancient Leak Stereo 30 (from the 60's) without too much effort and working very nicely thankyou. Oh and it was the early germanium one.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Because class D is basically a switched mode power supply, with the added complication of a variable output that has to cope with producing wide band audio. All switched mode power supplies go bang eventually (yes of course there's the odd exception, which proves the rule), and they're rarely economically fixable. Most recent here being a Rotel RB1510 which would cost more to fix than buy a new one.
On the other hand just fixed an ancient Leak Stereo 30 (from the 60's) without too much effort and working very nicely thankyou. Oh and it was the early germanium one.
Whilst I generally agree with most of what you said as a repairman, the Primare (like any amp) is recyclable like any metal internal parts like any other amplifier are discarded.
The issue of can it be repaired is valid but as most electronics, complete boards are now replaced and consumer law states that parts must be available for at least 10 years.
It’s the way of the world now unfortunately.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve done another comparison today and I’m sticking to my conclusions. If I listened to Yello all the time, the Primare would stay 😊
My variation is music dictates an all rounder which is why I don’t read reviews first.

Reactions: hiesteem

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never having listened to class D amps for any great length of time, I'd like to ask, do they do dynamics as well as good solid state or valve amps?
They do dynamics better than any imo.

It’s always a case of try before you buy. I think as I’ve said already, the Primare on different or slightly laid back speakers maybe a good match. I’m thinking the Reference Q Acoustics would thrive on this Amp.

Reactions: hiesteem and Gizza

leroyd

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Whilst I generally agree with most of what you said as a repairman, the Primare (like any amp) is recyclable like any metal internal parts like any other amplifier are discarded.
The issue of can it be repaired is valid but as most electronics, complete boards are now replaced and consumer law states that parts must be available for at least 10 years.
It’s the way of the world now unfortunately.
I have been using various Primare amps/cd players exclusively for over 20 years and they never gave a hint of trouble. Rock solid kit IME.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.