ProAc DT8 / D20R or Dynaudio Evoke Speakers?

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ah those D2 are magical . would have liked a pair but just under 3k for dome pair compared to 950 for the alchris ar 6 its going to have to wait . one hifi show i went back about 6 times to hear the d2 . my favourite proac
Interesting. You may recall that I had considered the D2Rs but the local dealer didn’t bother to get back to me (which was annoying because I bought the little Tablette 10 Sigs from him) so I now have the excellent Focal Kantas.

Reactions: Tarzan and hifinutt

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I kind of am, although it's time out of work where the guilt trip sets in and I've had long term issues with my car so I need to borrow the bosses who needs it to get t work and back and also to take the dogs for a walk.
To say it's difficult is an understatement and hence why I'm trying to research as I can't just go trawling from one shop to another, if I find what I think may tick the boxes I'll certainly try and demo.
Also I'm the worst at going from one speaker to another with even a minute's break in between, I've bought a speaker switch for home so I can instantly switch and I also find long term listening I tend to pick out the bits I like and the bits I find hard to live with.
What prompted my decision to change, I'd decided to stay with the Focals but the other night I was playing quite a few female artists like Tracy Chapman / Joan Armitrading in a row and after an hour it just seemed every track morphed from one to another and had become tiresome / didn't want to listen to anymore ... whilst I've heard the expression and thought it'd be much more instant but isn't, I now guess is probably what's referred to as "fatigue"
You'd be surprised. If you take your own amp along and arrange the same dealer and multiple speakers you can easily pick those which have qualities you like, and others less so. Particularly if the dealer is switching in and out several speakers. Some will do it for you, others won't. Also helps to take notes as you go to remind yourself of your impressions and if you can organise back-to-back listening sessions, that helps with the comparisons.

For my quest I did exactly that. I know what I do and don't like in a speaker even if I'm not the best at eloquently writing it down. But I found the whole process thoroughly enjoyable.

Enjoy it Sir! I'm sure you will!

As an aside - do dealers do Jan sales? Might benefit you to wait a few weeks if so (I've no ideas if they do or don't).

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've heard the Special 40s, Contour 20 and COnfidence 20. All excellent, with the confidence being unparalleled to others I've heard that size. It had better be for nearly €10k

I like ProAc. It's a tiny bit warm, but like @Amormusic I had some bass interactions with my room. The ribbon tweeter in the D30rs version makes violins, alto and soprano sax and higher range voices sound liquid and perfect.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
yes i had dynaudio 52se and 72se . marvellous . they are superb speakers . nearly bought some s3.4 once because they trounced everything. big fan of them

Witterings

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As an aside - do dealers do Jan sales? Might benefit you to wait a few weeks if so (I've no ideas if they do or don't).

I was thinking exactly this earlier especially as if I home trial the Xmas tree makes it impossible to get near my amp amd if I bought online a lot of the retailers are stuggling to get couriers at the moment.

I was speaking to a dealer about some Dynaudios and he said the Sonus Faber Sonetto iii's and V's are amazing and incredibly warm, I've heard this a few times now so may take a look at them as well.

I have realised though how hard it is to get good advice from sellers, ring one branch of a large'ish chain that stock Spendors but not ProAacs but ask them if they've heard the ProAc's .... yes we used to stock them and stopped because they were too boomy and hence why we sell the Spendors.

Ring another branch of the same chain that stock the ProAc's and ask if they stock the Spendors and are the ProAcs boomy and teh response ..... no they're definitely not, the Spendors are, hence why we stopped stocking them o_O

You've gotta love this quest for the perfect sound 😁

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Surely in this price bracket there are more options, other brands.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Interesting. You may recall that I had considered the D2Rs but the local dealer didn’t bother to get back to me (which was annoying because I bought the little Tablette 10 Sigs from him) so I now have the excellent Focal Kantas.

That is bad form- do not understand the dealer in question. :(

Reactions: Jezzer

Witterings

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That is bad form- do not understand the dealer in question. :(

I believe what area you're in dictates what speakers you can sell.
A manufacturer will give a retailer the rights to sell in a specific area (call it location A) and guarantee that no one within x miles will be given the rights so lets say they're selling Monitor Audio in Location A.
Retailer then opens a 2nd shop in location B - 30 miles away but a competitor already has the rights to sell Momitor Audion in that area they have to choose different brands - Lets say Focal.

Shop B is the going to tell you Focals are better than MA as they can't sell them to you.

Reactions: hifinutt and Tarzan

TIU

Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A manufacturer will give a retailer the rights to sell in a specific area (call it location A) and guarantee that no one within x miles will be given the rights so lets say they're selling Monitor Audio in Location A.
Retailer then opens a 2nd shop in location B - 30 miles away but a competitor already has the rights to sell Momitor Audion in that area they have to choose different brands - Lets say Focal.

Shop B is the going to tell you Focals are better than MA as they can't sell them to you.
Really? The first I've heard of that. I have two local dealers who have almost exactly the same brands list.

TIU

Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Is this idea one of those imagined things you think should happen? Rather like the idea that products get five star reviews because they pay a reviewer or place ads?

Witterings

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is this idea one of those imagined things you think should happen? Rather like the idea that products get five star reviews because they pay a reviewer or place ads?

I was told by store X that this branch can't stock those, if you want them you'd have to go to store Y to get them .... some of the stores seem very willing to work alongside the others stores and pointing you in the right direction, others seem to knock the products the other store stocks so not it's not imagined in the least.

And if I'm honest I do wonder how some of the products that really aren't great get glowing reviews ... difference is I don't have any 1st hand proof of that.

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With an Arcam SA30, I would put some Kef R Series on your list if possible - IMO A great match.

I think I would take ProAc over Dynaudio - but would need to hear with the Arcam.

EDIT. Sorry, I see you're now sorted. Nice choice.

Last edited:
Reactions: Witterings

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would not trust dealers, often bad mouth speakers they don't sell.

only heard Dyn's once and not impressed, could not get on with the treble on high hat cymbals, too bright.

Would like to hear ProAcs but no dealers near me, nearest one does not stock Sugdens either. Nearest Sugden dealer is further still and does not stock ProAcs, this is typical, I have found, trying to demo hifi.

Most Hifi products get good reviews, show me the bad reviews, there are very few, they are all in it together. They are not reviews more like promotions.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: Pressure

Witterings

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 15, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would not trust dealers, often bad mouth speakers they don't sell.

I spoke to 2 different shops in the same large / well known group, one branch sells Spendors and not ProAcs and the other shop Vice Versa.
The one that sold Spendors bad mouthed the ProAcs and the one that sells ProAcs bad mouthed the Spendors ... pretty appalling really and basically confirmed they're FOS.

Reactions: HouseElf

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.