SME 3009 MK2 Alingnement protractor

G

subterranean-alien wrote:

Oh man just let mine go! Ive refurbed a Thorens 160 and made an off-board psu. Ive not got time to make a decent plinth so its in the loft
sad.png
. The SME has gone back to the original owner
sad.png
:(
sad.png
sad.png
but it has an AC motor was off board really nescessary, I was gonna make one outa a piece of acrylic, but they come ready made fro eBay in alu at a fair price, so will be buying one instead, also gotr a stonking ready made plinth from eBay, still waiting on check to clear, pro built, all lined with sounddeadening, andall for £1.40 plus £9 postage, couldn't buy the materials for that. AUdio origami, TT wizard is gonna help me get it running schweet
biggrin.png

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
purplepleaser wrote:

I have just looked and closed the page straight away.Cd's are easy. might change my mind about getting a TT

shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
:shock:
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Lee
DOn't worry Lee, you don't actually need one of these. They are for fiddlers only.
tongue.png

Buy a TT with Arm and Cart included. Plug it in a leave the fucking thing alone is my way.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Really leader how can you be taken for a seriarse audiophool when you make comments like that. It's getting dark at night, so you have to have something to fiddle with, (age and dark nights are a boooooring mix)

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have sausage fingers so piddling around with my TT will only result in a pile of bits anyway.
biggrin.png

subterranean-alien

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Lancashire, , United
AKA
Stu
analoguekid wrote:

subterranean-alien wrote:
Oh man just let mine go! Ive refurbed a Thorens 160 and made an off-board psu. Ive not got time to make a decent plinth so its in the loft
sad.png
. The SME has gone back to the original owner
sad.png
sad.png
sad.png
but it has an AC motor was off board really nescessary, I was gonna make one outa a piece of acrylic, but they come ready made fro eBay in alu at a fair price, so will be buying one instead, also gotr a stonking ready made plinth from eBay, still waiting on check to clear, pro built, all lined with sounddeadening, andall for £1.40 plus £9 postage, couldn't buy the materials for that. AUdio origami, TT wizard is gonna help me get it running schweet
biggrin.png
The off-board psu makes a big difference as people have found with the geddon etc for the LP12, also you can slow the motor down (thus lowering vibrations) so that the platter requires a push to get going. I needed to change the components anyway as they'd all but expired.

Originally my dad was making the plinth as he's a carpenter and Id ear-marked some Oak he's had on the wrack for about 20 years, but as with many things concerning papa alien you wait a looooong time.

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
analoguekid wrote:

Anybody got one, or point me in the direction of one?got the arm today, it's superb, boxfresh, even has original plinth scres, bargain, I'm well chuffed.
Can i be cheeky and ask how much you paid?

G

icehockeyboy wrote:

analoguekid wrote:
Anybody got one, or point me in the direction of one?got the arm today, it's superb, boxfresh, even has original plinth scres, bargain, I'm well chuffed.
Can i be cheeky and ask how much you paid?
A little over £100

G

Davewhityetagain wrote:

A little over £100
As much as that
wink.png
yeah, less than the norm, but it is mint, new phono stage isn't working as well as initially thought, in fact it's going back, tried 4 carts, and 2 arms, and still bright and spitty, reckon the rest of the hifi is showing up it's inadequacies, not a lot wrong with it for the price though, and certainly should be on your audition list, just don't pair it with a revealing system, if you are looking to inject a bit of top end into your TT setup, it may also be worthy of an audition.

G

yes, I reckon it's more to do with mismatch, the whest was a bit bright with one of the carts, but not spitty, I didn't have a M/C

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry if I misled ya, but I have only heard it with 2 MC's- one high output into MM side, and one normal MC.

G

dudywoxer wrote:

Sorry if I misled ya, but I have only heard it with 2 MC's- one high output into MM side, and one normal MC.
No worries Dudy, i had to try it at the price, I still think it's good value, just didn't work in my system, got me money back easily, so nothing to worry about

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
analoguekid wrote:

dudywoxer wrote:
No worries Dudy, i had to try it at the price, I still think it's good value, just didn't work in my system, got me money back easily, so nothing to worry about
Sorry the SME didn't work out AK. Now maybe if you'd lovely Castle speakers instead of fussy ARTs it would have been a happy ending
14-00000002.gif.828495f168ee75f09f640fa4f13bd3a2.gif

G

Glens of Antrim wrote:

analoguekid wrote:
dudywoxer wrote:
Sorry the SME didn't work out AK. Now maybe if you'd lovely Castle speakers instead of fussy ARTs it would have been a happy ending
14-00000002.gif.828495f168ee75f09f640fa4f13bd3a2.gif
SME is fine, it was the cambridge that didn't work, castles mmmm, if you say so, maybe next time.,

audioorigami

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Glasgow
AKA
j7
hi peeps

haveing heard the turntable ...i would say we have a couple of things adding to the spitty problem:D

the arm mounting distance was out a few mm...the new sme arm board will help solve that...plus if youtry thatwooden board AK, the wood will help soften the sounds...(maybe the acrilic arm board is not the best match...since mdf was the kinda standard arm board)
wink.png

once the arm mountis in thecorrect position...the cartridge alinment will be easyer and the sound will lose some of the silibance

our cheap testphono stage would not help ...i suspect your old phono stage was much better...would have been a good move if snapper had brought his phono stage to try

and a low output MC will help lose a wee bit of that top end ...even a cheap MC should help, if the stuff above doesnt do it 1st

the arm and deck are a classic partnership ...once its setup up correctly i thing you will be happier...dont worry will be easy tosetup and check the mount distance on earlyer units its 213.25mm and later 215.34mm... mount protractors are downloadable on vinyl engine

best wishes for now

j7

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online