Linn Owners

Streaming dropouts

joralieu

New Wammer
Dec 8, 2020
I have 2 linn ds an accurate dsm and a sneaky dsm. When I try to group them together I get dropouts, when I play the sneaky by itself it plays fine. This is playing files from my hard rive connected to a Mac mini. Everything is hardwired ethernet. Any ideas?

Reactions: dol

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try connecting them with different Ethernet cables, you could have a faulty cable somewhere, most likely on the Akurate, assuming you are streaming it to the Sneaky.

’troll

joralieu

New Wammer
Dec 8, 2020
On further investigation, it just does it on one album so far. I guess it might be a problem with that that album. Still plays on the sneaky without dropouts though.

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unlikely to be anything wrong with the album if it plays on the Sneaky, but not the Akurate. Very strange.

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Is this a higher resolution album than normal and hence requires increased bandwidth?
It dawned on me to ask that too, then I forgot. Good catch.

’troll

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So, let’s just recap. You have a 16bit CD rip stored on a hard drive, connected to a MAC mini. This file plays on a Sneaky DS without issue. When you group your Akurate DSM with your Sneaky DS and play this file, you get dropouts.

Questions:
1 When grouped, which DS is the master, playing the file.
2 Does the Akurate play the file OK?
3 Is any part of your network using Ethernet over Mains, or is it completely hard wired with CAT5 or above cable?

Reactions: silkie and akamatsu

joralieu

New Wammer
Dec 8, 2020
I was wrong it was a 24/192 vinyl rip that was dropping out
When grouped it doesn't matter which is the master either way it drops out.
The akurate and the sneaky both play the file by themselves fine.
The netwrork is all hard wired cat 6

entdgc

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Congleton, England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was wrong it was a 24/192 vinyl rip that was dropping out
When grouped it doesn't matter which is the master either way it drops out.
The akurate and the sneaky both play the file by themselves fine.
The netwrork is all hard wired cat 6
So I would suggest it is the resolution causing the issue. You might think with hard wired CAT6 you would be ok but clearly not! Which music server do you use - I use Minimserver and you can set it to downsample hi-res files on the fly. Or you could manually downsample the file using appropriate software and store both on your server under slightly different names and play the low res one when grouping (as I assume this is not a 'proper' listening session).

Moomintroll

Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I would suggest it is the resolution causing the issue. You might think with hard wired CAT6 you would be ok but clearly not!
Looks suspicious, doesn’t it? It should still work, though - I’d still investigate the cables connecting the DS’s to the switch and the switch itself. Do you use a separate switch, or is everything plugged into your router?

Is there other network traffic through the switch, when you have problems?

My Sneaky is connected via Ethernet over Mains and I can still play 24/192 over that.

’troll

dol

Wammer
Feb 3, 2019
Last week in Roon I used grouping to play christmas music in the kitchen (Kiko DSM) and living room (KDSM/Kat).

The roon server and KDSM/Kat are hardwired, where Kiko DSM uses a Wifi Extender.

Only the KDSM/Kat suffered drop outs after this grouping, strange.

uk030

DSM guy
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Berlin, Germany
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Possibly the roon server tried to deliver to different resolutions to the systems? 16/44 to the Kiko and full monty 24/192 to the Kat?

Imseti

Menmaatre Seti I
Wammer Plus
Feb 16, 2022
Gloucestershire
AKA
Seti I
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another understandibly frustrated music streamer subscriber.

I'll have my usual mantra on these threads to keep 'current' :)

A couple of months ago, I subscribed to one month free trials of EVERY single streaming service available to try them all at no cost.

Every single one had constant dropouts causing me to restart the tracks after huge buffering times mostly stopping completely.

I have a very fast internet service, and have NEVER had buffering issues with Youtube or streaming TV services.

Yes, I know, I 'rebooted my router', which is the usual advice given, but really, music streaming from all these companies is hopeless. It will eventually go the way of 3D Cinema, 3D TV, Digital Audio Tape, Super VHS etc. A total failure.

Thank God for a massive storage of 16 bit CD rips and 24 bit downloads from REPUTABLE labels.

Why do people subscribe and actually PAY for this nonsense?

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When Qobuz and Tidal were first introduced I took up a trial of both, to see what I thought. Lots of dropouts with Tidal, none with Qobuz, so I went with the latter.
In the years up to now I’ve had very few problems - to be honest I can’t think of the last time Qobuz played up for me. Our internet isn’t the fastest in the world - 60mbps down, 20mbps up - but it’s certainly fine for music.

Mick

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online