Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was just playing Phillip Glass’s masterpiece soundtrack Koyaanisquatsi from the movie of the same name, in 5.1 surround.

This is one of my favourite pieces of music, but I have to be in the right mood for it, in a space with no interruptions so I can play the soundtrack from beginning to end  and an ability to turn it up loud. The music carries you on a journey that takes you to another world, and by the 6th track, the tears are flowing, and I am conducting the music in triple time, fully immersed in every note, the horn sections penetrating the space with a perfectly timed tour de force that is surreal. The opening and closing tracks with the deep voices in the chorus are sure to reach deep down into your soul.

I am thinking, how amazing this full immersion into the music is, and how other people can experience the same. Then I thought about Linn’s new promotion that offers 20 % off and all Linn components that will allow you to upgrade your Linn surround system. If you watch a lot of BluRay or DVD movies at home, music concert, SACD and DVD-Audio discs, or digital rips of your SACD and DVD-Audio collection, a great surround system will give you an unprecedented immersive experience.

‘There are many ways to create a Linn system for 5.1 surround, in analog and in digital, but for the Linn promotion I will focus on the digital playback, in Exakt and Katalyst Exakt. Here are some suggestions, with a variety  of options. 

One option is to purchase the new Selekt DSM with the new Series 3 speakers, for wireless connectivity, and self contained Exakt amplification in each speaker, for the front speakers, centre and surrounds.  Another option would be a Selekt DSM with a pair of Linn 530 speakers up front and a pair of 520’s for the surrounds. I believe you could add a single series 3 speaker as a centre channel option? Alternatively you could drive a set of Majik 109’s all around for fronts, centre and surrounds, with a Majik 5100 or the amplification modules in the Selekt DSM.

‘Another option is to buy a Selekt DSM with the surround module and amplification modules, driving 5 speakers. Add a subwoofer and the Exakt Subbox and you are sitting in audio heaven.

‘Next step up may be an Akurate Hub, with 5 Exakt or Katalyst Akudoriks, an Exakt Subbox and a subwoofer and you are experiencing cinematic quality.in your living room. The  Akurate Hub does stereo and surround duties, without the need for a surround processor, and can be upgraded with a surround module.

‘My system is an Akurate Hub with a pair of Katalyst Akubariks for the front left and right speakers, a Katalyst Akurate Exaktbox 6 driving an Akurate 225 centre channel speaker with a pair of passive Akudoriks driven by a Katalyst Akurate Exaktbox I, but no subwoofer.. To add a subwoofer, I would need an Exakt Subbox with a Subwoofer. At this level, you are hearing details in a movie at home, that you may not hear in a movie theatre. This is a highly immersive experience. 5.1 music discs or streamed 5.1 is staggeringly good.

With a lot more dollars, you might consider Nrwatson’s choices for a fantastic Linn surround system. He has a Klimax Hub with a pair of Katalyst 350’s for the front left and right speakers, an Akurate Exaktbox 6 driving an Akurate 225 centre channel and a pair of Katalyst Akudoriks for the surrounds. Add in an Exakt Subbox with a Linn Melodik subwoofer and you are fully immersed in the movie, and a 5.1 music surround experience that is the closest to being on stage with the band as you are likely to have.

‘I have found that the key to building a Linn surround system is to try to have voice matched speakers, such as all the speakers have a 3K array, or 5 Series 3 speakers, or 5 Majik 109’s or Katans for example.

‘In my experience, with a surround sound system, improving any one of the Linn components in the front, centre or surrounds, raises the sound quality of the whole surround system and improves the whole theatrical journey.

I write this as I listen to Beethoven’s Ninth Symphony in 5.1, and the tears are sure to flow by the last section, Presto: Allegro Assai “ Ode to Joy”, as I conduct the Berlin Philharmonic as a guest conductor., from my living room.

Hidden Systems

Hidden Systems
New Wammer
Feb 6, 2019
Windsor UK
AKA
Chris Fuller
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With a lot more dollars, you might consider Nrwatson’s choices for a fantastic Linn surround system. He has a Klimax Hub with a pair of Katalyst 350’s for the front left and right speakers, an Akurate Exaktbox 6 driving an Akurate 225 centre channel and a pair of Katalyst Akudoriks for the surrounds. Add in an Exakt Subbox with a Linn Melodik subwoofer and you are fully immersed in the movie, and a 5.1 music surround experience that is the closest to being on stage with the band as you are likely to have.

Yes NRWatson’s system is incredible for surround and two channel with an awesome sounding LP12. The front wall acoustic panels seemed to really raise the bar.

It’s a great Linn offer that does push surround forward, hope it achieves some traction. Linn’s front website on mobile doesn’t have a link from the Christmas image anywhere [emoji3166]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9designs

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2006
UK
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I saw this promo and has made me wonder just how much I would need   Currently I run 5.1 all speakers are passive, non Linn, but do have their own Linn power amps driving them.  At present I use a Marantz AV amp as a processor and AV pre amp, feeding the centre, rear and sub power amps.  The main left and right go to my ADSM/K  line in which is set to unity gain. 

Ideal would be to replace the Marantz with the Multichannel card that fits in the ADSM.  Would I then need just an Exakt 6 box to take the rear and centre (sub?) feed from the ADSM to feed into my current power amps. The Exakt box channels would be full range but the relevant discreet channel.   Can the Left and Right still be feed from the ADSM or do they need to come from the Exakt box as well? 

Last edited by a moderator:

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I saw this promo and has made me wonder just how much I would need   Currently I run 5.1 all speakers are passive, non Linn, but do have their own Linn power amps driving them.  At present I use a Marantz AV amp as a processor and AV pre amp, feeding the centre, rear and sub power amps.  The main left and right go to my ADSM/K  line in which is set to unity gain. 

Ideal would be to replace the Marantz with the Multichannel card that fits in the ADSM.  Would I then need just an Exakt 6 box to take the rear and centre (sub?) feed from the ADSM to feed into my current power amps. The Exakt box channels would be full range but the relevant discreet channel.   Can the Left and Right still be feed from the ADSM or do they need to come from the Exakt box as well? 
The surround module and an Exaktbox will get you there. Exaktbox 6 will work:

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Surround_Sound#Surround_5.1_With_analogue_Fronts_.26_Exaktbox_.22Surround.22_speaker

garyt

Wammer
New Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Belfast, , United Ki
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm pondering this at the moment with my dealer. My current system is Akurate hub with Akudoriks front L&R. I would need the following to go surround (4.0):

HDMI board upgrade (mine is v1.4) - £600

Surround processor - £1200

Exaktbox-1 - £4940

Majik 109+stands (for rears) - £1200

Total - £7940

20% Discount - £1588

New total - £6352

It's a fair whack of money for me, but it would probably be my last major purchase from a hi-fi POV.

Reactions: AJK66 and akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm pondering this at the moment with my dealer. My current system is Akurate hub with Akudoriks front L&R. I would need the following to go surround (4.0):

Exaktbox-1 - £4940

Total - £7940

20% Discount - £1588

New total - £6352

It's a fair whack of money for me, but it would probably be my last major purchase from a hi-fi POV.
You may want to run the numbers for Exakt speakers in the rear, such as 520s or Series 3. Just a suggestion.

garyt

Wammer
New Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Belfast, , United Ki
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You may want to run the numbers for Exakt speakers in the rear, such as 520s or Series 3. Just a suggestion.
Thanks for the info, that's given me some options. I had a quick look at the S3 speakers, and I think I could use 2 x 302s for rears, connected via Exakt link to the hub & each other. Am I correct? The 301 seems to be a DSM as well, and I obviously don't need that.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the info, that's given me some options. I had a quick look at the S3 speakers, and I think I could use 2 x 302s for rears, connected via Exakt link to the hub & each other. Am I correct? The 301 seems to be a DSM as well, and I obviously don't need that.
You are very correct sir. Two 302s would work, all Exaktlinked together. Daisy chain all you want. You wouldn't be getting Katalyst, but still Exakt. It would make for a much cleaner installation, if that matters to you. It would to me.

Michael

Reactions: garyt

9designs

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2006
UK
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cool, remember seeing that once before....    what puzzles me is why Linn don’t do an Exakt-I with less channels, I wouldn’t need 10... a 4 channel would be handy and would make the cost of entry to Exakt more affordable for many people. 
It's kind of like hotdogs come in eight packs and hotdog buns come in ten packs.

9designs

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2006
UK
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's kind of like hotdogs come in eight packs and hotdog buns come in ten packs.
Yep,,    Power amps come in multi channels options for years.... come on Linn your missing a trick here... 4 channel box gets a 2 way speaker Exakt... help people get on the ladder. 

Reactions: akamatsu and garyt

linnman

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 5, 2011
W Mids
AKA
Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately I think if I’m correct Series 3 are not part of the offer

AJK66

New Wammer
Nov 3, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Exaktbox-1 - £4940

Total - £7940

20% Discount - £1588

New total - £6352

I have a similar set up. Akurate DSM + exakt box 10 katalyst + front akudoriks driven by 2 6100s. When I added the exaktsubbox and "moved" my sizmik from home theater to stereo the result has been incredible. Just to say that you may want to consider adding a sub to your setting. It will be IMHO a wise choice

Nrwatson

Linn Lover
Wammer
Feb 8, 2017
London
AKA
Neale Watson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes a sub is an important consideration as improves all ranges of music bass mid and high range

• Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's for the 25% of customers who also want a cheese sandwich 🙂

If you need 4 channels only, and there is an Exakt profile for your speakers, then a AEBox 6 and a 4100or 4200 amp will do the job. Two channels of the Exaktbox will not be used, but that's not really a big deal. 

David 

Reactions: akamatsu

Fitter Stoke

De de de DUUURRRR!
Wammer
Jan 24, 2019
North East England
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unless I've missed something, there's nothing in this offer that is relevant to passive system owners like myself.  Shame, since I've a nice pair of passive Akudoriks gathering dust in the dining room just aching to be employed as rear speakers...

Pennypacker

d^_^b
Wammer
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
That's for the 25% of customers who also want a cheese sandwich 🙂

If you need 4 channels only, and there is an Exakt profile for your speakers, then a AEBox 6 and a 4100or 4200 amp will do the job. Two channels of the Exaktbox will not be used, but that's not really a big deal. 

David 
For twice the money of one AEBI

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For twice the money of one AEBI
True. You can AFAIK run an AEB-i on only four channels, again assuming that there is an Exakt profile for the speakers. I'll grant you that Exakt pricing is weird, but I'd argue that the range of channel configurations offered in the various Exaktboxes is not unreasonable. 

David 

9designs

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2006
UK
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
David,  I think you missed the point,  if to run my rear, centre and sub I only need 4 channels then a AEBI 10 is over 50% redundant.  I would prefer less channels and less cost.  Lowering the cost of entry to Exakt surely would be a good thing for Linn getting more people on the ladder.  An AEBI would be more than adequate to run my surround channels  for movies.  

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online