Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If they can deliver Exaktbox-i profitably for £5k with 8 channels of Katalyst  and 8 channels of power amp, then 4 channels of just the DAC at £4k should be achievable - there's only the board to design (and cutting down an Exaktbox 6 to 4 channel looks easy - each channel is just a cookie cutter on the board).
Yes, but that only addresses (to a degree) design and manufacturing. Logistics and (rather crucially in this case) dealer response are other relevant issues. If it turned out that a significant number of dealers felt they could sell Exakt more easily if there were an Exaktbox 4 option, I would have to agree with you.

What I think you're not addressing is the opportunity that a 4 channel box would bring to onboarding new Exakt customers. 
The only difference would be, at best £2K off the total price of going Exakt. Would that make the difference? It's an interesting question. Akamatsu has posted a link to a rather informative interview with Gilad Tiefenbrun (https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/147223-gilad-interview/?tab=comments#comment-2655721), in which he expresses disappointment that Exakt has not achieved the traction that he hoped and expected it would. Would an Exaktbox 4 increase that traction significantly? It would be nice to think that it would, but I have my doubts. I think that the real problem is that most of the target market just does not 'get' Exakt, just as it didn't get Aktiv in the past. There are probably a fair few reasons for this; it's not all Linn's fault, though, Heaven knows, "the source is in the speaker" didn't help.

David

Nrwatson

Linn Lover
Wammer
Feb 8, 2017
London
AKA
Neale Watson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think failure of Exakt to take off is largely no one knows about it even when reviewers look at linn gear they don’t say much about either it or SO

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you're buying the right combination of stuff, it will be worth throwing in the surround module to get the 20% off everything else, like the KSH, Solos etc
In my case, I could use a Klimax System Hub. I don't think an additional 10% off would cover the cost of the surround module. Just the 10% off deal would be the better deal.

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
In my case, I could use a Klimax System Hub. I don't think an additional 10% off would cover the cost of the surround module. Just the 10% off deal would be the better deal.
Yep, that's why I said the right combination of stuff :)

Just add a couple of Solos and you're sorted ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yep, that's why I said the right combination of stuff :)
Speaking of the right combination of stuff, this is from the Terms and conditions:

The surround module may be part of a whole product sale or an upgrade for an existing network music player. In either case, the discount will also apply to any Exaktboxes, speakers and amps being used to complete the Surround Sound system (if they are from the same sale).

I just wonder how they would enforce the "used to complete the Surround Sound system" bit.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, but that only addresses (to a degree) design and manufacturing. Logistics and (rather crucially in this case) dealer response are other relevant issues. If it turned out that a significant number of dealers felt they could sell Exakt more easily if there were an Exaktbox 4 option, I would have to agree with you.

The only difference would be, at best £2K off the total price of going Exakt. Would that make the difference? It's an interesting question. Akamatsu has posted a link to a rather informative interview with Gilad Tiefenbrun (https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/topic/147223-gilad-interview/?tab=comments#comment-2655721), in which he expresses disappointment that Exakt has not achieved the traction that he hoped and expected it would. Would an Exaktbox 4 increase that traction significantly? It would be nice to think that it would, but I have my doubts. I think that the real problem is that most of the target market just does not 'get' Exakt, just as it didn't get Aktiv in the past. There are probably a fair few reasons for this; it's not all Linn's fault, though, Heaven knows, "the source is in the speaker" didn't help.

David
I am heavily invested in Exakt, and the technological advances that it brings, in terms of mitigating phase distortion , improved timing and overall sound quality. I consider myself very fortunate to enjoy the fantastic sound quality available with integrated Katalyst Akubariks and separate Katalyst Exaktboxes for my centre and surround speakers.

‘However, it is more difficult to comprehend, for many HiFi customers that only understand preamps, amps and speakers connected by interconnects and speaker cable. HiFi salesperson seem more interested in selling boxes, and not so much doing an Exakt setup and Space Optimisation.

Exakt technology can be more complex and expensive, especially when you consider the cost of Exaktboxes and external amplifiers.

‘Linn’s  approach to Exakt technology with integrated amps and streamers such as Katalyst Akudoriks, Akubariks, Selekt DSM, 3 series, 520’s and 530’s is probably a great move on Linn’s behalf, moving forward with the lifestyle products. The ability to just plug in your speakers to an electrical supply, and connect them with an Ethernet cable to a music source, is simple and attractive. 

I appreciate Linn’s efforts to continue to offer very high end options for Linn owners that are looking for the best in HiFi, but would also like to see Linn still offer their Klimax Kontrol preamps, Klimax and Akurate level DS players and separate amplification for the more traditional audio person. They still compete with the best available from other manufacturers.

Reactions: Fitter Stoke

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I appreciate Linn’s efforts to continue to offer very high end options for Linn owners that are looking for the best in HiFi, but would also like to see Linn still offer their Klimax Kontrol preamps, Klimax and Akurate level DS players and separate amplification for the more traditional audio person. They still compete with the best available from other manufacturers.
Gilad's point, in the video to which I linked in my previous post, was that, in a crowded marketplace, Linn should only offer products that stand out from the competition. He was referring to passive speakers when the said this, but it obviously applies to other product groups as well. If Linn had thought that preamplifiers in particular still had a viable place in their lineup, they would not have discontinued the KK and AK. But Gilad did say specifically that Linn was still  in the business of making amplifiers, though he also acknowledged that the current range was a bit long in the tooth.

David

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry for my stupidity and my lack of Exakt and surround knowledge, but I have following questions:

1. Would the following upgrade qualify for the 20% discount on Surround system promotion?

Akurate System Hub
plus
Surround Sound Upgrade (upto 7.1) for Akurate System Hub (Euro 1,430 list price)
plus
Akurate Exaktbox-i (Euro 6.365 list price)

Total list price in Germany 3.225 + 1.430 + 6.365 = 11.020 Euro x 80% = 8.816 Euro ???

2. Exaktbox-i active Stereo setup

I presently own a Majik DSM/2 (Ekakt ready). I understand that by adding just a Akurate Exaktbox-i to my system I could drive any pair of "Exakt ready" 2-4 way speakers - but no 5 way speakers as Exaktbox-i has only 8 channels - Stereo in active Exakt mode.

3. Exaktbox-i "Surround pass through mode"

By adding Akurate System Hub + Surround module + Akurate Exaktbox as per above (and selling my Majik DSM/2) I would not require any further box (i.e. no amp nor any other Exaktbox) to run upto 7.1. surround in Exakt passive mode

Is my understanding of 2 and 3 above correct?

Thanks for your help :)

Jens

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You raise an interesting topic Paul. Whilst I have gone the 'Exakt' route in my second system - largely because the room was untameable without it - and I am impressed with what it brings -my main system is still in effect analogue. Although the main system is full surround, 5.2 , and fully aktiv, my hub  is a Kisto. I struggle to see how an ADSM would replace this -  for starters there are no no tape loops (I use both). My main issue though just how to get 5.x audio from SACD (I like the presentation of SACD and have a significant library). As far as I'm aware the only way to carry the signal is via analogue 'out' from the SACD transport. I'd be interested to know how you've cracked this. I am concerned that day the Kisto will reach 'end-of-life' state and am not sure what steps I shall take at that point. The last model but one Anthem has potential but I've just about given up on looking at the ADSM. This is unfortunate as I like what Exakt brings and I find that the exaktbox-i route works well (it would be even more affordable if they hadn't ditched the Majik version).

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Sorry for my stupidity and my lack of Exakt and surround knowledge, but I have following questions:

1. Would the following upgrade qualify for the 20% discount on Surround system promotion?

Akurate System Hub
plus
Surround Sound Upgrade (upto 7.1) for Akurate System Hub (Euro 1,430 list price)
plus
Akurate Exaktbox-i (Euro 6.365 list price)

Total list price in Germany 3.225 + 1.430 + 6.365 = 11.020 Euro x 80% = 8.816 Euro ???

2. Exaktbox-i active Stereo setup

I presently own a Majik DSM/2 (Ekakt ready). I understand that by adding just a Akurate Exaktbox-i to my system I could drive any pair of "Exakt ready" 2-4 way speakers - but no 5 way speakers as Exaktbox-i has only 8 channels - Stereo in active Exakt mode.

3. Exaktbox-i "Surround pass through mode"

By adding Akurate System Hub + Surround module + Akurate Exaktbox as per above (and selling my Majik DSM/2) I would not require any further box (i.e. no amp nor any other Exaktbox) to run upto 7.1. surround in Exakt passive mode

Is my understanding of 2 and 3 above correct?

Thanks for your help :)

Jens
1 - Yes

2 - Yes

3 - yes, your suggestion for item 1 would appear to be the same as item 3 as item 1 would also give you Exakt passive mode.

4 - you would get 20% off both Exaktboxes if you wanted to do 1 and 2 and bought them all at the same time, as long as you said you were going to go 4.0 Exakt active surround for the time being....

• Upvote
Reactions: JensA and akamatsu

JensA

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Oct 12, 2018
Hamburg, Germany
AKA
Jens-Michael Arndt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@sunbeamgls
Many thanks :)

perhaps my post was a bit unclear.

Regret but this will be another (too) long post but I just want to avoid any mistakes or misunderstandings.

So I have no intention to buy 2 Exaktboxes but I am just comparing following upgrade paths:

Alternative A: EXAKT AKTIVE STEREO

- keep my Majik DSM/2
- buy an Akurate Exaktbox-i
- swap my B&W CM7 speakers for Exakt ready speakers (like Keilidh or AV 5140)

Total cost (assuming buying Exaktbox-i NEW from Linn dealer without any discountand no gain/loss from swapping speakers and excluding cables) would be 

the list price of Euro 6.365 for the Akurate Exaktbox-i (only)

as I do understand the 20% discount will not be granted for a single Exaktbox purchase

Alternative B: Majik DSM--> Akurate System (incl. Surround) Upgrade for EXAKT AKTIVE STEREO or EXAKT PASSIVE SURROUND

- sell my Majik DSM/2
- buy Akurate System Hub plus
- buy Surround upgrade for Akurate system Hub
- buy Akurate Exaktbox-i
- (again swap my speakers for Exakt ready speakers)

Total cost (after 20%) discount would be EURO 8.816 for Akurate System Hub with 7.1 Surround module plus Akurate Exaktbox-i

Sales proceeds generated by sale of the Majik DSM/2 would further reduce the price differential between the two alternatives.
Ofcourse Alternative B would result in an Exakt "lock in" if I would sell the Majik DSM but at the same time would be an Majik --> Akkurate plus surround upgrade for a liitle more than 1000 Euro i would spent for just the Exaktbox-i which appears to be tempting unless there is a mistake in my thinking :nuts:

Jens

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As the conventional wisdom is to sell Majik DSM and upgrade to ASH when getting an Exaktbox-I, I would recommend Alternative B. Of course, your dealer would know best and be able to tell you if you would be eligible for the 20% surround sound discount. As I posted elsewhere on this forum, the verbiage in the promo terms and conditions says something about "completing a surround system." This is the bit that would need dealer confirmation.

Reactions: JensA

stuarts

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 3, 2018
On 16/12/2020 at 04:33, akamatsu said:

It took me a while to find you. There's a promotion running in Japan through January 31.

Thank you!

In case anyone (other than me) is interested, the promotion in Japan is different — it doesn’t relate to surround systems.  Instead, they are offering (A) a discount on the Karousel upgrade (JPY 50,000 instead of JPY 135,000) to customers who buy JPY 400,000 worth of Linn products, and (B) a 10% discount on the new Majik products to customers who purchase two or more of the Majik DSM4, Majik 140SE and/or Majik LP12.

Not so useful for my needs, but I hope for Linn’s sake that some find the offer of interest.

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ends today. I am somewhat tempted to get a Klimax System Hub at 10% off. However, I've decided against it at this time, and here's why. I just made some rather big changes to my system and have refined the set up considerably. I'm really enjoying the "new record collection." I want to enjoy this level for a while by revisiting albums that I haven't heard in a while. Once I'm satisfied and I get used to the sound, I'll made the next logical upgrade and enjoy a new record collection all over again. It's all about the music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles