Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
Point Roberts, WA, USA (Vancouver)
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unless I've missed something, there's nothing in this offer that is relevant to passive system owners like myself.  Shame, since I've a nice pair of passive Akudoriks gathering dust in the dining room just aching to be employed as rear speakers...
An Exaktbox can provide surround channel signals to passive speakers.

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Surround_Sound#Surround_5.1_With_analogue_Fronts_.26_Exaktbox_.22Surround.22_speaker

Edit: I just looked at your profile. Looks like you would need a DSM and an Exaktbox. And it looks like you prefer Klimax level.

Last edited by a moderator:

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
David,  I think you missed the point,  if to run my rear, centre and sub I only need 4 channels then a AEBI 10 is over 50% redundant.  I would prefer less channels and less cost.
No, I get that. Actually what you prefer is a lower price, rather than reduced cost.

My point is that, as the current Exaktboxes can do the job you want done perfectly well, there is no point, from Linn's perspective, in offering, say, a four channel Exaktbox, unless that increases the profitability and sustainability of the Exaktbox product line. Given that developing a four channel box would have a cost, and that most of the manufacturing and logistic costs would be pretty much the same for a four channel box as for its six and ten channel counterparts, I don't see how the four channel box could actually make marketing and financial sense for Linn.

David

garyt

Wammer
New Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Belfast, , United Ki
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately I think if I’m correct Series 3 are not part of the offer
My dealer has spoken to Linn, and for my initial setup idea, they were going to include everything needed to add surround to my existing system, so speakers were included in the 20% off deal. I don't see why any amended list of kit would be any different, i.e. using Series 3 instead of Exaktbox + 109s.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My dealer has spoken to Linn, and for my initial setup idea, they were going to include everything needed to add surround to my existing system, so speakers were included in the 20% off deal. I don't see why any amended list of kit would be any different, i.e. using Series 3 instead of Exaktbox + 109s.
It wouldn't be, and isn't. There are no exclusions for promo #2, the surround promo. See the link to the terms and conditions in my reply above.

stuarts

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 3, 2018
It wouldn't be, and isn't. There are no exclusions for promo #2, the surround promo. See the link to the terms and conditions in my reply above.
Unfortunately for me, Japan appears to be wholly excluded from the surround sound promotion.

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Remember its also possible to go Exakt Surround with far fewer channels when using non-Linn speakers.

Filters for the following surround options available off the shelf:

PMC Twenty Series (21, 22, 26, Centre)

Mission 77x Series (773e, 77c1, 771e, soon to be added 772 option)

Coming soon:

Mission 78x Series (783, 782 & 780 already available, 781 and 78C coming soon)

Plus most other speaker options, as required.

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately for me, Japan appears to be wholly excluded from the surround sound promotion.
It's only the UK, Europe, and North America. Linn Japan are currently running a no-interest loan promotion, but it may have just ended. I'm looking at getting a Linn Majik system for the Japan (Yokosuka) house, so any discount would have been nice.

Nrwatson

Linn Lover
Wammer
Feb 8, 2017
London
AKA
Neale Watson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is odd that linn is promoting surround sound yet don’t currently have the hardware to support it no sub and no centre channel speaker

stuarts

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 3, 2018
It's only the UK, Europe, and North America. Linn Japan are currently running a no-interest loan promotion, but it may have just ended. I'm looking at getting a Linn Majik system for the Japan (Yokosuka) house, so any discount would have been nice.
Yes, Linn are not big on discounts here. Thankfully, the switching power supplies make it possible to buy a lot of Linn components overseas, but shipping is not practical for large speakers. Apologies for the tangent. 

Reactions: akamatsu

akamatsu

Michael
Wammer Plus
Oct 9, 2018
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, Linn are not big on discounts here. Thankfully, the switching power supplies make it possible to buy a lot of Linn components overseas, but shipping is not practical for large speakers. Apologies for the tangent. 
But the shopping experience in Japan is so awesome. They make you feel like royalty.

Reactions: Paulssurround

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is odd that linn is promoting surround sound yet don’t currently have the hardware to support it no sub and no centre channel speaker
My guess is that the optics would be difficult for Linn to have a 20% off sale on everything they sell.

But having a 20% sale on Linn components that complement a surround system, that opens the door for a lot of people to buy Linn products that could also be used to upgrade  their stereo system?

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
If you're buying the right combination of stuff, it will be worth throwing in the surround module to get the 20% off everything else, like the KSH, Solos etc

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
True. You can AFAIK run an AEB-i on only four channels, again assuming that there is an Exakt profile for the speakers. I'll grant you that Exakt pricing is weird, but I'd argue that the range of channel configurations offered in the various Exaktboxes is not unreasonable. 

David 
And profiles for the speakers can be created where required... :)

• Upvote
Reactions: DavidHB

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yep,,    Power amps come in multi channels options for years.... come on Linn your missing a trick here... 4 channel box gets a 2 way speaker Exakt... help people get on the ladder. 
This is why a modular Exaktbox and Exaktbox-i (modelled on Selekt) would be a cool next gen for the Akurate range, discussed on other threads about future products.

• Upvote
Reactions: rduras and akamatsu

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
No, I get that. Actually what you prefer is a lower price, rather than reduced cost.

My point is that, as the current Exaktboxes can do the job you want done perfectly well, there is no point, from Linn's perspective, in offering, say, a four channel Exaktbox, unless that increases the profitability and sustainability of the Exaktbox product line. Given that developing a four channel box would have a cost, and that most of the manufacturing and logistic costs would be pretty much the same for a four channel box as for its six and ten channel counterparts, I don't see how the four channel box could actually make marketing and financial sense for Linn.

David
Surely an Exaktbox4 at £4k would be more attractive and sell another A4200 amp too, whereas at the moment, they're selling nothing to that potential customer.

DavidHB

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Isle of Wight, UK
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Surely an Exaktbox4 at £4k would be more attractive and sell another A4200 amp too, whereas at the moment, they're selling nothing to that potential customer.
But could it be profitably made and sold at £4K? And how does it fit into the product line? An Exaktbox 4 will not work with any current Linn speaker, which I suspect would matter presentationally if not profitably to Linn. I like your "modular" idea, but, if the pricing of Selekt is anything to go by, the current Exaktbox-i is already a more cost-effective entry point to Exakt.

These are, of course, all points about which we do not know enough to take a firm view. At the same time, I don't see any indication that Linn has much interest in "entry level" Exakt. Indeed, if the omission of Exakt ports from the MDSM/4 is any indication, the reverse would seem to be the case.

David

9designs

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 17, 2006
UK
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having just watched an interview with Gilad,  Exakt hasn't sold or taken off like they expected or hoped it would.  He also said they are keen and open to any manufacture of speakers to take Exakt, as we have seen already with Kef and Kudos, which they thought was going to get the market going.    Sorry to say it's doesn't take a lot to work out it's cost as well as possible technology fear that is keeping people away. 

Modular and or a less channel Akurate EB-I, like I say as per the power amps have been for years, to me is a no brainer.  Why do I want to buy 10 channels of power amp and DACs and only use 4 of them?   My Fact 8 are two way and most I'm likely to ever have is 3 way.   It's not "entry level" it's buying what you need.  

Just been reading the Exakt design webpage,  as I would also like to build my own speakers but possibly skip the passive crossover stage and go straight.    

Question for Sunbeamgls,   On the Exakt Design pages I see a drop down for Celestion SL6S.... Is there a filter already for them?  As I would like to convert mine as well. 

If I had more job security at present I would probably take Linn up on the offer, but the automotive industry isn't to secure at present in the UK...

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
But could it be profitably made and sold at £4K? And how does it fit into the product line? An Exaktbox 4 will not work with any current Linn speaker, which I suspect would matter presentationally if not profitably to Linn. I like your "modular" idea, but, if the pricing of Selekt is anything to go by, the current Exaktbox-i is already a more cost-effective entry point to Exakt.

These are, of course, all points about which we do not know enough to take a firm view. At the same time, I don't see any indication that Linn has much interest in "entry level" Exakt. Indeed, if the omission of Exakt ports from the MDSM/4 is any indication, the reverse would seem to be the case.

David
If they can deliver Exaktbox-i profitably for £5k with 8 channels of Katalyst  and 8 channels of power amp, then 4 channels of just the DAC at £4k should be achievable - there's only the board to design (and cutting down an Exaktbox 6 to 4 channel looks easy - each channel is just a cookie cutter on the board).

What I think you're not addressing is the opportunity that a 4 channel box would bring to onboarding new Exakt customers.  Think of all those Keilidhs, Katans, Ninkas etc. out there, plus 5 Kudos designs, Naim SBL, Naim SL2, Graham LS5/9 etc. etc. are all out there for the taking. And getting those customers into Exakt opens them up for a gradual upgrade over time.

Reactions: 9designs

sunbeamgls

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 19, 2011
North Wales
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Question for Sunbeamgls,   On the Exakt Design pages I see a drop down for Celestion SL6S.... Is there a filter already for them?  As I would like to convert mine as well. 
I'm not aware of one, there isn't one visible in Konfig.

It is a little strange that they appear in Exakt.Design but not on the list of speakers measured for SPACE as that's the normal starting point - could just be an omission.

I can certanly design them for you - just PM me - as yours would be the first, there would only be shipping costs and anything needed for the physical conversion (which I can only determine when I've seen the speakers).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles