Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I compared an Auralic Altair and Innuos Zen Mini with QuTest DAC to a Naim ND5XS2 and also to an Auralic Altair G1.  I did a write up in a thread called Auralic Altair stick or twist.

This is the summary page but it’s worth a read from the beginning.

Reactions: Fourlegs

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some people say that the QuTest is lean sounding. I found that the most ‘lean’ filter on the QuTest to sound similar to the ‘warmest’ on the Auralic. The Auralic doesn’t sound lean to me.

Reactions: Fourlegs

Motortown review

Wammer
Nov 9, 2020
Would like to know what speakers he is using as they are an important part of the review system.
He (me) is using Falcon LS3/5a, a Naim 272 streaming pre, which I bought new last year at a bargain price £1800, last of the line. It does everything I want but I do wonder what a separate dac might do.

I have owned way back the original Naim dac, which I didn't light my digital world TBH, nothing especially wrong with it, but then nothing exciting either.

Thanks to all the contributions on here, have read them all.

Just to add the other reason to use a separate dac is to stream qbuz or similar, which the Naim can't do, but I could from my Innuos Zen Mini into the Chord or similar. At the moment I stream from the mini ripped CD's over the network.

Last edited by a moderator:

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He (me) is using Falcon LS3/5a, a Naim 272 streaming pre, which I bought new last year at a bargain price £1800, last of the line. It does everything I want but I do wonder what a separate dac might do.

I have owned way back the original Naim dac, which I didn't light my digital world TBH, nothing especially wrong with it, but then nothing exciting either.

Thanks to all the contributions on here, have read them all.

Just to add the other reason to use a separate dac is to stream qbuz or similar, which the Naim can't do, but I could from my Innuos Zen Mini into the Chord or similar. At the moment I stream from the mini ripped CD's over the network.
What do you think of the DAC in the Zen Mini?

I preferred the original Naim DAC because it sounded a lot richer than the Naim 272. Do you prefer a more detailed incisive sound?

Motortown review

Wammer
Nov 9, 2020
What do you think of the DAC in the Zen Mini?

I preferred the original Naim DAC because it sounded a lot richer than the Naim 272. Do you prefer a more detailed incisive sound?
Mine is a mini 2, so no dac inside. I can use the Innuos app though but only if I can use an off board dac as the mini is asynchronous and the usb on the 272 is not.

Reactions: DomT

whitehart

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2011
East Sussex
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
AKA
Mac
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmmm.... so what makes your opinion any more valid that somebody else Nick? Also, why are comments which differ from yours classed as noise or thread spoiling?

Just to add before anybody asks, I've owned the Qutest and RME-ADI2 DAC's and preferred the latter... but that doesn't mean I don't take onboard comments/experiences of those with different opinions to mine. I certainly wouldn't class a difference of opinion as noise which should be taken with a pinch of salt or claim it to be unreliable..
I think, the point is, that the op asked for member's personal experience with the Qutest,

Mac

orbscure

My God, its full of stars...
Wammer Plus
Aug 22, 2013
SE London/Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With all due respect Mac, I suggest that you re-read the post to which I was referring, in particular the less than charitable comment I quoted which was aimed at another review simply because it didn't match his thoughts on this or other items of kit... I'm all for constructive posts based on actual experience, but sniping at others because they don't agree with an opinion is unwarranted and uncalled for :)  

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With all due respect Mac, I suggest that you re-read the post to which I was referring, in particular the less than charitable comment I quoted which was aimed at another review simply because it didn't match his thoughts on this or other items of kit... I'm all for constructive posts based on actual experience, but sniping at others because they don't agree with an opinion is unwarranted and uncalled for :)  
You're missing context, which may or may not be relevant to the post in hand. The criticism arose from an outlier review by Goldensound of the dCS Bartok posted by Miller-8  and the, er, discussion which followed. Though I can understand why he did so, perhaps Nick was wrong to allow that exchange to influence his response here. The same poster did later speak of his own experiences of the Mojo, which is at least a blood relative. Let's see how this thread develops.

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I personally did not find the Qutest DAC lean, just found it was just a tad too smooth with some music, and found the RME ADI-2 more dynamic and had cleaner edges to instruments.

Yes the RME can sound hard with really badly recorded music but this is also system dependent. 

In my system sounds just right. The problem with DACS is nothing much between them, system matching will matter most. I'd advice anyone looking to upgrade their dac to seriously looking at upgrading whatever is being fed to the DAC.

Reactions: HouseElf

thewestfield

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2013
Malvern
AKA
Mal
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have had my Qutest for just under a year and had a Chordette HD prior to that.  With the rest of my setup, per my profile, it sounds great and although there are other Dacs I could try I don't feel the need to. 

Reactions: Steveh

SiF

New Wammer
Mar 4, 2019
Cheddar
AKA
Simon Floyd
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If it helps. I have the 2Qute, and plugged it straight in to my iPower supply (the £100 version). I didn't find it bright in any way. Then I used the supplied stock supply temporarily one day and it did sound very harsh straight away. I have also used a popular LPSU and found it really dull. I was surprised at the effect.

Bruss22

Wammer
Jan 13, 2022
France
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Qutests being used here, coupled to Node 2i and new Node. Vast improvement on the Node and don’t sound at all ‘thin’ to me. 

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One of the reasons why I didn’t choose the QuTest was that it was comparatively too warm and smooth. But as I noted that the time the sound drew in the listener and was relaxing. 

whitehart

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2011
East Sussex
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
AKA
Mac
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I tried the Qutest about 5 years ago against the RME ADI2 and much preferred the latter it giving a much fuller rounded sound.

However, I have moved house since then and now have a larger listening room with larger speakers, Harbeth 40.3 XD and whilst waiting for the dCS Bartok to arrive, the dealer kindly lent me a Qutest which I wasn't particularly looking forward to, but once I plugged it in, I was pleasantly surprised, not at all lean or bright.  So, I do agree that system matching and the room does play a big part.

Mac

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi all

In a moment of indecision I've decided to try a number solid state DACs before plunging into the world of Lampizator dacs.

I was considering trying a Hugo TT off eBay. It seems the TT is more organic and natural sounding? Is that likely to be superior to a Qutest?

SH pricing suggests I have a very low risk if I don't like either compared to my current dac!

Thanks

Reactions: Miller-8

dhansak

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Aug 24, 2021
Edinburgh
www.danielwebb.online
AKA
danaudio
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Back to the original question it would be good to know what are the most important parts of the presentation to you?

What do you value and enjoy and what are you seeking to improve in your system?

If you are just curious to hear what a QuTest sounds like in your system then I would say buy one second hand and sell it if you don‘t like it - this is the best way to answer the question for you, in my opinion.

Of course, it doesn’t make for an enjoyable Wam thread though! :-D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles