Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Some good questions. I think I'm really just after the most neutral digital sound I can achieve this side of those stupid plastic disks.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He is not an unreliable witness at all. I think he notices things many reviewers miss, and he is also better at describing the sound of components than most.
I have now watched two GS videos of products that I own and it seems that he is trying to be contrary as a way to attract viewers on his quite new channel. His findings don’t match mine and he sometimes makes big errors eg in the Meze Empyrean video he forgets to use the leather pads instead of Alcántara and the leather ones sound very different.

Back to the QuTest and it’s a good DAC but not as incisive as a Benchmark, Naim or Auralic. QuTest on incisive filter sounded similar to Auralic on warm filter. QuTest reminds me of my Quad 909 which is a warm bath of sound compared to my Audio Research s/s amp. It’s relaxing and smooth if that’s your thing.

When other say that it’s lean sounding I believe them but wonder what they compared it to as only when making comparisons do comments like lean and warm make any sense.

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No I think I'm going to drive over to Nintronics and borrow their TT2/HMS. My gut tells me that a Benchmark dac won't be any better than what I have today.

I know that my current dac is a bit of a giant killer (other owners report theirs sounding better than T+A8 and PS audio wave).

If the TT2/HMS obliterates my dac then I'll consider buying one. If it is close or if I prefer my dac, then I'll need to think carefully about my next move.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No I think I'm going to drive over to Nintronics and borrow their TT2/HMS. My gut tells me that a Benchmark dac won't be any better than what I have today.

I know that my current dac is a bit of a giant killer (other owners report theirs sounding better than T+A8 and PS audio wave).

If the TT2/HMS obliterates my dac then I'll consider buying one. If it is close or if I prefer my dac, then I'll need to think carefully about my next move.
The guys at Nintronics are great. I can’t see what DAC you have on the new forum platform. What do you have?

The Benchmark DACs are allegedly the best measuring DAC if you believe ASR, Amir “couldn’t fault” the DAC3 and you asked for “the most neutral”. Doesn’t best measuring equal most neutral? Maybe you have other criteria?

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Sounds like a good plan. The TT2/HMS works very well for me with my system and my ears; genuinely detailed but not at all fatiguing after listening for a few hours, unlike my Benchmark DAC1 HDR which, like so many DACs, distracted me after a while by making me think there was something unnatural about the sound.

The Qutest is a great DAC and of course much cheaper than a TT2, albeit without the volume control and headphone outputs. I didn’t find enough to differentiate between them when listening to music. When concentrating on the sound I preferred one with some tracks and the other with others. They both, imho, have that natural sound which the other DACs I have (miniDSP SHD, built in Hegel, Benchmark, Beresford, Node2i) simply don’t have. The only exceptions, perhaps, being a Meridian G68 and Meridian Director but they don’t seem to be so good with transients. They all sound similar on a cursory listen but it is on extended listening to music that the Chord DACs leap ahead by sounding incredibly detailed but natural and without something about the sound which distracts me from simply enjoying the music.

It’s rather like viewing a genuinely high definition TV which doesn’t need the sharpness turned up compared to a lesser one that needs the sharpness turned up to give an impression of clarity which is ultimately fatiguing.

Reactions: Steveh

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds like a good plan. The TT2/HMS works very well for me with my system and my ears; genuinely detailed but not at all fatiguing after listening for a few hours, unlike my Benchmark DAC1 HDR which, like so many DACs, distracted me after a while by making me think there was something unnatural about the sound.

The Qutest is a great DAC and of course much cheaper than a TT2, albeit without the volume control and headphone outputs. I didn’t find enough to differentiate between them when listening to music. When concentrating on the sound I preferred one with some tracks and the other with others. They both, imho, have that natural sound which the other DACs I have (miniDSP SHD, built in Hegel, Benchmark, Beresford, Node2i) simply don’t have. The only exceptions, perhaps, being a Meridian G68 and Meridian Director but they don’t seem to be so good with transients. They all sound similar on a cursory listen but it is on extended listening to music that the Chord DACs leap ahead by sounding incredibly detailed but natural and without something about the sound which distracts me from simply enjoying the music.

It’s rather like viewing a genuinely high definition TV which doesn’t need the sharpness turned up compared to a lesser one that needs the sharpness turned up to give an impression of clarity which is ultimately fatiguing.
thanks, that is helpful.

I still need to try a Hugo TT too, since many report it to be better than a TT2.

I have realised that some and possibly all of the piano "compression" i'm hearing in my setup at higher volumes isn't actually digital sheen at all, but mild distortion of my magnepan ribbon tweeters caused by an underpowered tweeter/mid-bass amp (only 80w). I therefore need to upgrade my amps as well, annoyingly.

Therefore I don't fancy forking out £5k for a dac unless it blows my socks off....it would be amazing if my dac help up frankly!

For those wondering, my dac is a musical paradise MP-D2 with ESS Sabre boards mated to a rubidium master clock with CV181 output tubes and U52 rectified power supply. It weights more than most amps, and has two massive shielded transformers. It is the item I have had the longest in my setup and it is excellent.

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting.....
You know my thoughts on the Qutest. The TT2 has far more 'taps' so should be better and in many respects it is. It has good in-built headphone and pre-amplifiers. So easy decision then? Not so quick. The Qutest whilst being a little 'cruder' sounding with voices having a slightly defocused character, the Qutest is to my ears slightly more lively and dynamic. The TT2 is smoother and easier to listen to and has more weight in the mid-range, particularly on voices. . Mr Underhill reviewed and compared these two DACs and expresses it better than my one-liner.

https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/threads/chord-hugo-tt-2.102973/
Excuse the set-up of the review, it is on the list of to be done from the migration to the new software.

Reactions: Miller-8

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@Psilonaught you already have a great DAC according to the internet. What’s your motivation to change it as many DACs would appear to be ‘different’ rather than ‘better’.

Reactions: dhansak

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting.....
You know my thoughts on the Qutest. The TT2 has far more 'taps' so should be better and in many respects it is. It has good in-built headphone and pre-amplifiers. So easy decision then? Not so quick. The Qutest whilst being a little 'cruder' sounding with voices having a slightly defocused character, the Qutest is to my ears slightly more lively and dynamic. The TT2 is smoother and easier to listen to and has more weight in the mid-range, particularly on voices. . Mr Underhill reviewed and compared these two DACs and expresses it better than my one-liner.

[URL]https://hifiwigwam.com/forum/threads/chord-hugo-tt-2.102973/[/URL]

Excuse the set-up of the review, it is on the list of to be done from the migration to the new software.
Fascinating stuff.

Nick the Wave brought his Dave and Sean Jacob’s power supply over and whilst the sound quality was fantastic I did wonder if it was a tad too “smooth” for me and lacked “energy”. Of course, I would have to listen to music over an extended period to really come to a conclusion. Since then I’ve changed power amp and this might have brought the Sound of Dave more to my liking. Not that I want to buy a Dave at £9k let alone a power supply at £5k? of course… Satan get thee behind me and all that :oops:😂

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fascinating stuff.

Nick the Wave brought his Dave and Sean Jacob’s power supply over and whilst the sound quality was fantastic I did wonder if it was a tad too “smooth” for me and lacked “energy”. Of course, I would have to listen to music over an extended period to really come to a conclusion. Since then I’ve changed power amp and this might have brought the Sound of Dave more to my liking. Not that I want to buy a Dave at £9k let alone a power supply at £5k? of course… Satan get thee behind me and all that :oops:
Luke, you MUST resist the Force.....:cool:

• Haha
Reactions: Camverton

Griff500

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 27, 2017
Prague, Czech
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think a used Qutest is hard to beat for the money. I heard one in another person's system and compared to my TT2 in their system and the Qutest was really exceptionally good.

I still need to try a Hugo TT too, since many report it to be better than a TT2.
Really? That's not what I've heard or what I would expect.

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I also had a Qutest and concur with most views. Its an excellent unit, well thought out and implemented, with its own sound (or the Robb Watts house sound). I picked it up used and ran it for a few months. Enjoyable listening but at same time, it never grabbed my full attention, and so I went back to my older Benchmark DAC2 pre.

Nothing wrong with the Chord, music just more right with the DAC2 in my system.

I sold it for same as bought (used) it for, so the advice to look for used item and try it in your system, is solid.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online