. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Last Friday I was finally able to adequately position my new (used) speakers and give them a proper listen.
Unfortunately something was off and after swaping sides and inverting cable polarity I decided to measure the response. Diagnostic: uni-q midrange not working.
I contacted the seller and the history of the speakers is a certified horror show.
Ironically this was the first time I have bought used gear from a retailer and until now I'd never had issues...
Let's see how they deal with the situation before I start naming names... Very disappointed.

vcLCbtz.png

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thats not good news. What did you end up buying? Sounds like Kef something or other. Did you get the 60s?

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
thats not good news. What did you end up buying? Sounds like Kef something or other. Did you get the 60s?
I bought a pair of Reference 3s, couldn't stretch the budget as far as the LS60s (or a pair of SCM40As).

Reactions: DomT

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Classic case of money back not fit for purpose and if they’ve hidden dodgy history then it’s new dealer time.
It’s up to you if you name and shame but get clear first.
The main reason to buy previously enjoyed from a dealer is that there is recourse.
I would stick them now anyway bad taste and spoiled.(n)

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not an expert but that trace looks like one of the worst I have seen.
Has that been designed or just drivers thrown in a box.
Peaky is an understatement.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not an expert but that trace looks like one of the worst I have seen.
Has that been designed or just drivers thrown in a box.
Peaky is an understatement.
The top trace from the right speaker is as flat as it gets (ignore below 900Hz when the room starts to interfere), the 3 bottom curves belong to the left speaker. Note that I have applied less smoothing than the typical 1/6 octave.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How rubbish. Expecting to be enjoying some new speakers and then ending up having to diagnose a problem :(. Hope you get a resolution you're happy with quickly.

Were you told a different story re. the history before buying, or wasn't it something you enquired about?

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: tuga

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Let's just hope the dealer can sort it out, money back hopefully. I really like the look of the Ref 3 in walnut finish.

• Thanks

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Were you told a different story re. the history before buying, or wasn't it something you enquired about?
I didn't make thorough inquiries about the condition. I don't expect to find 'broken' gear for sale in a reputable store.
They assuemed it was fixed but I don't think that professionals are particularly knowledgeable (I've just had two underwhelming experiences with different retailers other than this one and even a streamer manufacturer rep). They could have been selling shoes.

Reactions: DomT

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I didn't make thorough inquiries about the condition. I don't expect to find 'broken' gear for sale in a reputable store.
They assuemed it was fixed but I don't think that professionals are particularly knowledgeable (I've just had two underwhelming experiences with different retailers other than this one and even a streamer manufacturer rep). They could have been selling shoes.
If the dealer had sent the speakers to KEF to be fixed that’s even more worrying. If they had been to KEF one would work in the assumption that they were fixed no? But in any even hugely disappointing.

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If the dealer had sent the speakers to KEF to be fixed that’s even more worrying. If they had been to KEF one would work in the assumption that they were fixed no? But in any even hugely disappointing.
They were fixed by a 'repairer' they use regularly.
Last night I emailed them asking to have the speakers serviced by Kef or my money back. Problem is that they weigh 50kg each, are 1.2m tall and the boxes are in a tatty condition... A nightmare.
And the sound is rubbish, I can't even enjoy a bit of music to relax.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So are they offering a full refund or just to fix them?

I have found salesmen and dealers to be similar, no matter what they are selling. Hope you get it sorted.

• Thanks

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So are they offering a full refund or just to fix them?

I have found salesmen and dealers to be similar, no matter what they are selling. Hope you get it sorted.
Thanks. If they don't reply to my email before the end of the day I will have to give them a call.
I'm off to work now and have loads to do.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
They were fixed by a 'repairer' they use regularly.
Last night I emailed them asking to have the speakers serviced by Kef or my money back. Problem is that they weigh 50kg each, are 1.2m tall and the boxes are in a tatty condition... A nightmare.
And the sound is rubbish, I can't even enjoy a bit of music to relax.
Not good. Best of luck. The dealer should pay for new boxes if you wish them to go to KEF.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online