Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I lived in Southend I got to see Wilko many times gigging in the area. A great guitarist and great fun to watch. RIP Wilko

Reactions: Tazzo

Andy Stephenson

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 8, 2022
North East England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I first started buying albums, Dr. Feelgood was one of my early purchases.

I still have the first three before Wilko left. Stupidity is one of the great live albums with so much energy and excitement.

Another unique icon gone. There's a heck of a band forming upstairs.

Andy

Reactions: rabski

Humpty was pushed

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 16, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
This is very sad. Do I remember rightly that one of our members was instrumental in prolonging the time he had ? If so, thanks to him, and to Wilko for the tunes.

Vincent52

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2011
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was watching an old BBC4 Doc "The Punk and New Wave Years with Annie Nightingale" at the weekend. The highlight was The Blockheads doing "What a Shame" with Wilko being very Wilko.

A lovely way to remember one of Rock's true individuals. RIP Wilko you'll be missed.

Graeme

Last edited:

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My cousins band have supported him many times around the U.K.
They owned a p.a...& Wilko knew this so they became a preferred support of his :) Nick loved him.
One of a kind really. Live music needs people like Wilko Johnson. Bless him.

Twoscoops

Wammer
Nov 27, 2020
N.Somerset
AKA
martin v
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One wet winter weekday evening in early '74 (I think) I was at Surbiton Assembly Rooms for a Shelter benefit with Ducks Deluxe. Support was
Dr. Feelgood. I was in shock . Even in pubrock land there was nothing quite like Lee & Wilko. Fast forward a year and the atmosphere at a Feelgoods gig told you something was ready to happen. What happened was punk and Wilko was there ahead of the game. Bless him.

PICT0593 (2).JPG
Naughty Rhythms Tour, Ewell Tech. Feb '75

Last edited:
Reactions: Rayymondo

leroyd

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Many years ago a mate and I travelled from Ireland to see Rush in Wembley arena. The sound was a bit of a disaster but made the best of it. The following night we accidently walked into a pub where Wilko was about to perform. What a guitar player!. The simplest of set ups, no pedal board, with the guitar plugged directly into his amp via his old fashioned twisty guitar lead. His bass players (Norman Watt Roy) amp blew up mid gig and he did not miss a beat.
When we returned to Ireland, the Rush gig was a distant memory, whilst the memory of Wilko and his mates rock out, still resonates and always will. RIP Wilko

Reactions: Dave Decadent

Cable Monkey

Staff member
May 16, 2006
Birmingham, UK
AKA
Henry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So sad to hear of his passing. His diagnosis was the same as my Mum’s but he got a less aggressive strain.

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Saw him play in a pub in Bristol years ago, a great performer indeed. He will certainly be missed, a one of a kind.

Tazzo

Wammer
Apr 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Saw him play in Glasgow about 4 years ago. Sad to hear of his death. RIP.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.