Auralic - disingenuous or merely incompetent?

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Yeah, I think so. But I could forgive this, assuming it's sorted quickly. What I can't forgive is the blatant lie about the G1.1 having a galvanically isolated USB output. It's the main reason I upgraded from my G1.

It may be a mistake, rather than a blatant lie, but still not ideal, have you spoken to your dealer about this? What is their take?

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Return it and buy an Aqua Linq. I am extremely happy with its performance over my G2. It also has either proper UPNP support or Roon / HQP support.

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Return it and buy an Aqua Linq. I am extremely happy with its performance over my G2. It also has either proper UPNP support or Roon / HQP support.

It's all lovely until Roon block the backdoor Roon path on the LinQ! They certainly don't seem to get on anymore from the threads on the Roon forum lol

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's all lovely until Roon block the backdoor Roon path on the LinQ! They certainly don't seem to get on anymore from the threads on the Roon forum lol
Well that's certainly a possibility for sure, Aqua fell out with Roon so I read.

The good news is that unlike Auralic that don't use DNLA/UPNP, you can use Audirvana which actually sounds better than Roon anyway from what I've read.

That's what I use and I love it. It sounds epic, the app is fantastic, and I can both upscaling and apply parametric EQ witu Qobuz.

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well that's certainly a possibility for sure, Aqua fell out with Roon so I read.

The good news is that unlike Auralic that don't use DNLA/UPNP, you can use Audirvana which actually sounds better than Roon anyway from what I've read.

That's what I use and I love it. It sounds epic, the app is fantastic, and I can both upscaling and apply parametric EQ witu Qobuz.

I did prefer Audirvanas SQ over Roon, but at the time AD was fairly primitive and was completely unstable for me, so I went the Roon route.

Yes the Roon/Aqua conversations were certainly Ego vs Ego.

I'd love a LinQ to go with my La Scala...maybe one day, but with the modules needed for Roon it all adds up to a hefty sum, even with Elite Audio discount.

manisandher

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2013
Leamington Spa
AKA
Mani
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Return it and buy an Aqua Linq.

I need a RoonReady streamer with USB output. I have an 8-channel fully active setup and use Roon's DSP exclusively. It's a beautifully well-integrated solution for feeding a multichannel DAC and multiple amps:

KFJ Subs - whole system.jpg

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I need a RoonReady streamer with USB output. I have an 8-channel fully active setup and use Roon's DSP exclusively. It's a beautifully well-integrated solution for feeding a multichannel DAC and multiple amps:

KFJ Subs - whole system.jpg
Got it. Why don't you buy my G2 then ;)

It is in the classifieds.

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I've read this thread, and also the Roon thread which was linked to, with great interest. I use an Aries, purchased 2nd hand and had to contact Auralic due to the previous owner not signing out when selling on. The reply was basically, the streamer is now 6yrs old, out of date, throw it in the bin, not very helpful. I have thought about upgrading since streaming is now my only source, and these threads and my previous experience with Auralic has certainly put me off purchasing this brand again, not over keen on the app either as I find it very difficult to get back to My Music Library when on Qobuz.

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
Dawson's Field
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Having suffered several months of anguish with a new TEAC ud701n and its replacement, I too wonder about component "substitution" in Chinese products. I'm switching to Innuos pulse. Never seen one, but spec great, as is reputation and integrity of the Sense app. Says it does roon. Just a thought.

Pulse

manisandher

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2013
Leamington Spa
AKA
Mani
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have thought about upgrading since streaming is now my only source, and these threads and my previous experience with Auralic has certainly put me off purchasing this brand again...

Up until this point, I'd be quite happy with the Auralics I've had here. They seemed to do what it says on the tin. But the G1.1 doesn't.

... not over keen on the app either as I find it very difficult to get back to My Music Library when on Qobuz.

I (have to) use Roon exclusively. Has worked perfectly with the G2.1 and G1... but not yet with the G1.1 (which will no doubt get sorted out soon enough).

manisandher

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2013
Leamington Spa
AKA
Mani
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Having suffered several months of anguish with a new TEAC ud701n and its replacement, I too wonder about component "substitution" in Chinese products. I'm switching to Innuos pulse. Never seen one, but spec great, as is reputation and integrity of the Sense app. Says it does roon. Just a thought.

Pulse

I have a bunch of 'audio' computers here - some home-built, some purchased. They can sound pretty good, but I'd like to get away from using computers for audio - a sledge hammer to crack a nut... or so it seems to me.

Reactions: DomT

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just received a brand spanking-new Aries G1.1. I've got three problems with it:

1. On their website, Auralic claim the Aries G1.1 to be RoonReady. It isn't. When trying to connect, Roon says that the G1.1 is not certified and therefore refuses to connect. I've had an Aries G2.1 (on loan) and G1 (which I own) here, and both have worked perfectly with Roon. I'm sure it wil be just a matter of time before Auralic sort this out, but they really should have been on top of this before releasing the G1.1.

2. On their website, Auralic claim that the G1.1 uses dual 'femto clocks'. The USB oscillator in the G1.1 is the Skyworks Si530, with a measured phase jitter of 0.3ps RMS. I would have expected a 'femto clock' to measure in single-digit fs, not 100s of fs.

3. On their website, Auralic claim that the G1.1 has a galvanically-isolated USB output. Unlike the Aries G2.1, which uses the Silanna chip and does indeed sport galvanic USB isolation, the G1.1 doesn't. There is no galvanic isolation at the USB output.

Problems 1 and 2 above, I could live with. No doubt 1 will get sorted out soon enough, and 2 is probably just a matter of definition. But 3 is a total show-stopper for me. Auralic's claim here is totally false... and in my eyes, unforgiveable.

Unsurprisingly, the G1.1 is going back.

Mani.
I would no more consider buying a streamer without a competent control app than I would buy a TV without a remote control. I'd have liked to upgrade to maybe a Hegel H590 but Hegel offers no proper app for control. Meanwhile I'm happy with my BluOS controlled NAD M33 (which is now Roon ready incidentally). Its app (available on 5 platforms) is as good and comprehensive as Roon but with no subscription. There is third party software available I presume, though it won't offer DSP. I avoid DSP anyway as it subjects the entire frequency range signal to an unnecessary processing stage (even if only sub-500 Hz is actually adjusted) and this processing does the top end no favours. The sparkle that the unadulterated music signal offers is lessened by DSP.

However, even without a proper control app and disregarding your No 1 gripe,, how does the unit actually sound? Does it matter if 2 and 3 don't mean the sound is poor?

Last edited:

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would no more consider buying a streamer without a competent control app than I would buy a TV without a remote control. I'd have liked to upgrade to maybe a Hegel H590 but Hegel offers no proper app for control. Meanwhile I'm happy with my BluOS controlled NAD M33 (which is now Roon ready incidentally). Its app (available on 5 platforms) is as good and comprehensive as Roon but with no subscription. There is third party software available I presume, though it won't offer DSP. I avoid DSP anyway as it subjects the entire frequency range signal to an unnecessary processing stage (even if only sub-500 Hz is actually adjusted) and this processing does the top end no favours. The sparkle that the unadulterated music signal offers is lessened by DSP.

However, even without a proper control app and disregarding your No 1 gripe,, how does the unit actually sound? Does it matter if 2 and 3 don't mean the sound is poor?

The Bluesound app really is no where near as good and comprehensive as Roon, far far from it.

However the BluOS is a good basic package and one of the better ones, its far better than the Auralic Lightning DS App for sure.

Last edited:

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've read this thread, and also the Roon thread which was linked to, with great interest. I use an Aries, purchased 2nd hand and had to contact Auralic due to the previous owner not signing out when selling on. The reply was basically, the streamer is now 6yrs old, out of date, throw it in the bin, not very helpful. I have thought about upgrading since streaming is now my only source, and these threads and my previous experience with Auralic has certainly put me off purchasing this brand again, not over keen on the app either as I find it very difficult to get back to My Music Library when on Qobuz.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/auralic-aries-g2-or-g2-1-users/166842/12

"Hello:

*Our device, like an iPhone, has activation lock. The previous owner need to deactivate the unit before selling it or pass to the next owner. If you bought a machine with previous owner still registered, you need to contact the seller to let them deactivate the machine. If he or she is not able to do so then you need to return it as you have bought a non-functioning unit. *

For your case if the previous owner has passed away, the people handling owner’s asset need to finish some paperwork with us so we can deactivate the machine and he or she can sell the unit.

• Wow
Reactions: DomT

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
Dawson's Field
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I have a bunch of 'audio' computers here - some home-built, some purchased. They can sound pretty good, but I'd like to get away from using computers for audio - a sledge hammer to crack a nut... or so it seems to me.
??. Agree. Computers have a number of issues but the Innuos pulse is no more a "computer" than the Aries. I was going to go for the Altair or Vega G2.1, but my wife said " are you nuts after what you have been through with a Chinese product?" Gone for eu built separates with hopefully good support and as here here says, a well developed app. A Bluesound OS fan here. personally, do not need or use roon.

Last edited:

manisandher

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2013
Leamington Spa
AKA
Mani
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Meanwhile I'm happy with my BluOS controlled NAD M33 (which is now Roon ready incidentally). Its app (available on 5 platforms) is as good and comprehensive as Roon...

I very much doubt it. Here's my signal path in Roon for my fully active setup:

Roon Signal Path.jpg

When any other software player can come close to this, I might consider it.

As to quality, Roon processes at 64-bit. You can do pretty much whatever you like and it'll be essentially lossless. It's a phenomenal piece of kit.

Reactions: Sloop John B

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.