Linn Owners

Linn Solo Concern

AlbertF

Wammer
Sep 17, 2021
UK scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have recently taken delivery of a new pair of solos to accompany my Klimax DSM and 242s. The sound is all I could wish for however, I was not expecting the fans to come on and detract from the experience as much as they do. Even without stacking the boxes I find the fans kick on after an hour of enthusiastic play, but thereafter even when the boxes cool down they still come on and audible over quiet passages of music. 

At volume level you could  ‘talk over’ they seem fine but once volume increases to make conversation difficult the fans start up after an hour. I am still checking out their behaviour. Should I expect this and therefore I need to adjust my expectations ?

Any first hand experience of the Solos would be greatly appreciated and whether this is to be expected

tpalm

New Wammer
Feb 24, 2019
Finland
AKA
Tuomas
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My previous 92db sensitivity dynamic speakers never turned fans on but my current planar magnetic speakers with 86db sensitivity turned fans on after a serious Infected Mushroom session

• Haha
Reactions: AlbertF and zee9

HansBertil

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 13, 2018
Sweden
AKA
Bertil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unfortunately I have no experience from Solos although I would very much like to. The cooling down time will be about the same as the warning up and likely even longer since you’re still using the amp during cooling. To add to that there might be a bit hysteresis in the temperature sensor as well. What I can see from the specs the sensitivity for A242 is 87 dB/W @1m. So rather power hungry if played loud. 

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Even the 242 are very demanding, one pair of Solos are the optimal fit.

On a scale 0-100 everything below 75 should work without fan (depends also on room temperature, kind of music and RCA/XLR).

What cable do you use between Solos and 242 (brand, length, single or multi-wiring)?

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Make sure you have enough space above them. I use mine in an Isoblue rack, one each on a shelf, and the fans never kick in, although the cases get quite warm/hot after a while.

Mick

Moomintroll

Fictional Character - not to be taken literally
Wammer
May 20, 2014
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chord Rumour X is only 1.3mm2 cross section, you may want to try something with 4mm2 and see what that does.

Reactions: Nestor Turton

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Length shouldn’t be an issue and I have no experience with Chord Rumour X.

But as @Moomintrollsaid maybe  you can try another cable to make sure that the cable isn‘t the problem.

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That sounds weird to me. I have mark 1 242’s and I’ve run them passive, aktiv and Exakt with akurate amps. All with k400 cable. For a passive setup I used a split k400 (k200?) cable and never had my fans come on? Cable lengths are 14’.

Until a week ago I was dying to find solos but have had no luck in the used market. I usually don’t go above 65 on the volume but maybe 70 once in a blue moon to scare the neighbors.

Adsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/1 >> Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K200

Fordy99

New Wammer
Nov 3, 2018
Earth
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have similar problems with my Twins. Using 2 to bi-amp a pair of 350’s. The fans come on quickly and although not intrusive, you can hear they are on.  More worrying for me, is that one of them (the older non Dynamic amp) regularly clips and I lose sound until it behaves itself. Given I listen to rock/metal at loud volumes it is getting tiresome and I’m thinking of upgrading to Solos (until I saw your post !!).

AlbertF

Wammer
Sep 17, 2021
UK scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting. I wondered if the same might apply to the twin. I like plenty of volume and a bit of rock hence my concern.

Fazioli

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2010
Nottingham
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
After owning 8 Solos for 10-15 years or so, I have to say "What fans?" I can't ever recall triggering them even though they have been played quite hard at times for extended periods. Their cases get hot, but never enough to trigger a fan. Presumably they are positioned such that they can freely ventilate.

It may be that there is a fault which needs investigating by Linn HQ-especially as you say they are new. Good luck!

AlbertF

Wammer
Sep 17, 2021
UK scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Fazioli and can I ask what speakers you are using?

My solos are currently not stacked or air is free to move around them

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Albert,

My experience:

1) during the 4 years I had a pair of Solo and Komri in passive mode (20 years ago) – first model with no Dynamik – the fans were activated, when I listened to high volume (on the Klimax Kontrol: 60 to 70). I don't remember how they were placed on shelves.

2) during my first audition of the NGKDSM in the Linn shop in June 2021, it was a pair of Solo – Dynamik version – with 10.000€ Martin Logan.
Volume was at 65 on the DSM. The fans worked the 2/3 of the session. The Solos didn't have a lot of air as they were placed on the 2 shelves under the DSM, and close to the wall.

3) Klimax Twin Chakra – no Dynamik – in active mode with Komri are dead silent in my experience in 2 different homes (on the Klimax Kontrol: 60 to 70) since 2006.

For me, Klimax Solos need to have a LOT of air above them, best with nothing at all above. So you need to separate them completely, one on the left, one on the right.

Again, in active mode, it's not necessary.

Excellent amplifiers by the way 😊

Last edited by a moderator:

BenHao

New Wammer
Sep 6, 2021
Is dust a concern? The linn solo amp has air vents on top, so that makes it easy to dust to get in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.