Linn Owners

Linn Solo Concern

AlbertF

Wammer
Sep 17, 2021
UK scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I got so much useful feedback from so many of you on the forum and on PM that I felt should close this off now - the least I can do. My recent hifi  trauma is behind me. 

Linn have investigated and concluded that my solos are working as per their reference set. The fans are doing what they are designed to do and that’s how they sound. Whilst they were back at the factory my audio consultant (we’ve spent too much time together for me to call him a dealer) suggested I take a Simaudio Moon 860a v2 over other options, which I have been listening to over the last 3-4 weeks. By coincidence my KDSM had a PSU failure so I spent most of the this time with their demo Organik DSM/3 in my house. I am now back with the KDSM/2 still with the Moon power amp. It’s my choice if I keep the Moon or take the Solos back - the price is really the same.

It’s difficult now to be precise about the differences. The Solos blew me away but the Moon 860 is no slouch for sure. I felt the Moon could be a bit “shouty” compared to the solos which are truely musical but it does need more run in. The moon I felt to have a little more soundstage and maybe better for bass and percussion. Finally I can get the Moon amp very aggressive, hot and never worry about the fans kicking in during the quiet passages. 

Shame as nowt prettier than a stack of Klimax boxes! But I think I will be settling for the Moon power amp and, at the end of a few days with the KDSM/2 back, I am loving the sound and very happy with my investment.

Now maybe a Klimax Radikal II will be next. Again big shout to Linn and my dealer for putting me first and always providing options. 

Most listening for solos and moon has been centred around

- Peter Gabriel 3

- Zappa One size fits all

- Taylor Swift Folklore

- Ry Cooder Chavez Ravine

- Paul Simon Gracelands

Reactions: Paulssurround

Sound Hound

Wammer
Jan 17, 2019
AKA
Not Actually Canine
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have recently taken delivery of a new pair of solos to accompany my Klimax DSM and 242s. The sound is all I could wish for however, I was not expecting the fans to come on and detract from the experience as much as they do. Even without stacking the boxes I find the fans kick on after an hour of enthusiastic play, but thereafter even when the boxes cool down they still come on and audible over quiet passages of music.

At volume level you could ‘talk over’ they seem fine but once volume increases to make conversation difficult the fans start up after an hour. I am still checking out their behaviour. Should I expect this and therefore I need to adjust my expectations ?

Any first hand experience of the Solos would be greatly appreciated and whether this is to be expected
Your experience is, unfortunately, completely normal. I've had several pairs of 242s and Solos and the only downside has been the fans kicking in - which is a total p*sser. There's nothing wrong with your Solos - it IS their Achilles heel. Strangely it doesn't happen with Twins - go figure?!
As others have found, a gentle breeze, In the form of a silent computer fan solves this irritating issue. My Solos sit in a DIY cabinet and so it was easy to mount the fans under each solo (I cut holes in the shelves beneath)
Ambient temperature is a major factor concerning when the fans will run. Anything over 20c the fans will come on after a while listening at realistic levels. Volume numbers are irrelevant. Some tracks sound too quiet at 75 whereas others are too loud at 65.
My fix works 100% but clearly not for those with expensive racks !!

HH2010

Linn tune exile
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Non-Dynamik Solos with last spec 242s.
Unbalanced/cinch input.
Quite some air around the Solos.
No fan action over years.

+1 If your solos do not have plenty of air around, you might consider some low rev silent PC fans for ventilation.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ben Webster

Sound Man

Wammer
Aug 7, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I do not have a pair of Klimax Solo's yet only a Twin. All my hifi gear that is the LP12, the Radical, the Organik DSM and the Twin are set up in one small room ( engine room ) and next door in a much larger room ( music room ) are my passive Akubariks. The speaker cables run over a short distance between the two rooms. So if you can I would say, keep the Solo's Out of the same room as your speakers!

Reactions: Moomintroll

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles