AntoineHiFi

New Wammer
Aug 11, 2021
Nuremberg
AKA
AV
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes was never an issue with the 4200 but the solos get a lot warmer. 
Hello,

To be honest I have the same issue with the fans with the 4200/0/D, by running Ninka Bi-active, even at low volume. Strangely, I didn't noticed this when running passive (by only on two channels).

That's quite disappointing to me, and I'm still looking for some option to improve? => could the 4200/1 improve vs. /0? I was even considering Exakt to move to Twins or others but now if the issue could also happen on Solo ... 

Looking to the diverse experiences it something muse still be understood/investigated 

@zee9 @AlbertF

Did you ran your 4200 also active (analogue) with the cards and had no fan running, right?

best regards

Antoine

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello,
To be honest I have the same issue with the fans with the 4200/0/D, by running Ninka Bi-active, even at low volume. Strangely, I didn't noticed this when running passive (by only on two channels).
That's quite disappointing to me, and I'm still looking for some option to improve? => could the 4200/1 improve vs. /0? I was even considering Exakt to move to Twins or others but now if the issue could also happen on Solo ... 
Looking to the diverse experiences it something muse still be understood/investigated 
@zee9 @AlbertF
Did you ran your 4200 also active (analogue) with the cards and had no fan running, right?
best regards
Antoine
Yeah I ran it analog aktiv with cards on ninka, kabers and 242’s. Never had the fan on. Infact now my 4200/1 is driving the 242’s in bi-amp passive and the fans are yet to come on but all my equipment is elevated with gunstigs under the feat and atleast 3” of free air above it. The racks are open on all sides. I have listed my 4200/1 for sale as I’m moving in a different direction soon.

21d531cb687449c59c1084aa4c6857f0.jpg

Adsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/1 >> Akurate 242 (mark 1) Silvers/K200

Fazioli

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2010
Nottingham
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Fazioli and can I ask what speakers you are using?

My solos are currently not stacked or air is free to move around them
The Solos are powering Komris and are housed on individual shelves of a pair of Quadraspire SV racks(with vented slots). I've had them running into the 70s without causing the fans to kick-in. Maybe they're bust!

Reactions: AlbertF

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Solos are powering Komris and are housed on individual shelves of a pair of Quadraspire SV racks(with vented slots). I've had them running into the 70s without causing the fans to kick-in. Maybe they're bust!
Fazioli, I suppose you are in active mode with the Komri. Not the same output of power needed per Solo, then.

Reactions: Fazioli

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't have Solos (or 4200s) but the fan on my Kisto is very room temperature dependent. Normally (360 days of the year) I have no problem - but when it has been Avery warm day then they will fire up within 90 minutes - and it's bl**dy noisy!! The Sizmiks are just the same - and more often than not will kick in on exactly the same days. So, in my experience, room temperature is critical - and 2C to 4C rise is sufficient to trigger the fans.

AlbertF

Wammer
Sep 17, 2021
UK scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all the responses and seems to be a bit of a mixed bag of experiences and a few things to try. Getting colder here so maybe dropping temperatures will help.  Appreciate volume numbers might be meaningless on their own but playing at 70 - conversations possible but hard - fans stay off.  Up it to 75 - loud but I like it loud sometimes and the fans come on. What’s unfortunate is that when I drop the volume back down and the boxes have cooled the fans still come on most of the time and they are not quiet.

The sound these machines make is wonderful. Pink Floyd’s Dogs, from Animals was last thing I listened to on Saturday night and was incredible, but when the guitar dies off leaving the synth and barking dog, the last thing I needed to hear was the fans running over the top of it. I do still feel something is not right and will pick up with my dealer later in the week.

im not sure what I can do to get more air around them but plenty of room at back and nothing on top of them

again, thanks.

AlbertF

Wammer
Sep 17, 2021
UK scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Even the 242 are very demanding, one pair of Solos are the optimal fit.

On a scale 0-100 everything below 75 should work without fan (depends also on room temperature, kind of music and RCA/XLR).

What cable do you use between Solos and 242 (brand, length, single or multi-wiring)?
Runs fine up to 70 with no fan on fairly well bass driven music. 75 then becomes the issue. 

• Upvote
Reactions: Ben Webster

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for all the responses and seems to be a bit of a mixed bag of experiences and a few things to try. Getting colder here so maybe dropping temperatures will help.  Appreciate volume numbers might be meaningless on their own but playing at 70 - conversations possible but hard - fans stay off.  Up it to 75 - loud but I like it loud sometimes and the fans come on. What’s unfortunate is that when I drop the volume back down and the boxes have cooled the fans still come on most of the time and they are not quiet.
The sound these machines make is wonderful. Pink Floyd’s Dogs, from Animals was last thing I listened to on Saturday night and was incredible, but when the guitar dies off leaving the synth and barking dog, the last thing I needed to hear was the fans running over the top of it. I do still feel something is not right and will pick up with my dealer later in the week.
im not sure what I can do to get more air around them but plenty of room at back and nothing on top of them
again, thanks.
I doubt it matters but are you using balanced or unbalanced interconnects?

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do you have a pair of RCA’s to experiment with unbalanced?

AlbertF

Wammer
Sep 17, 2021
UK scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry its the unbalanced out from KDSM to solo. I have phono stage into balanced in and nothing in the balanced out. Looking at a related post on this topic too now.

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a problem with the internal fans coming on in my 4100 and 6100 amps, when its hot inside. I have built an external fan tower to keep them cool. They are dead silent computer fans with temperature sensors, which lie on top of the respective amps. No internal fans engaging since then 😀

I got the idea from a friend with 8 Solos 😉

Fans.JPG

AlbertF

Wammer
Sep 17, 2021
UK scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thx Tendaberry - made me smile. I googled a certain brand of cooling fan maker last night. I am thinking about it as an option but these look totally bespoke 

Reactions: Chris 1970

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeah, I built it from some airplane grade plywood, that I had left over and then stained it to fit my rack. Feel free to build a more hi-tech looking variant though 😃 The parts are dirt-cheap...

Last edited by a moderator:

AntoineHiFi

New Wammer
Aug 11, 2021
Nuremberg
AKA
AV
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
very funny! what are the fans? at which temperature they starts? 

maybe an idea to investigate: the amps simply need a cover with more venting slots inside? (or no cover at all ;-))

Reactions: cspgqqt

MickC

Expert Thread Disruptor
Wammer
Oct 8, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Back when I had Aktiv Espeks powered by 3 2250s, the fans on the treble amp came on quite regularly, most likely for two reasons:-

1) they were in an Isoblue rack with very little clearance above each amp, and

2) the treble amp was above the other two, thus getting warmed by them as well as by its own circuitry.

Never (yet) had the Solos complain though…

Mick

AlbertF

Wammer
Sep 17, 2021
UK scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Chord Rumour X is only 1.3mm2 cross section, you may want to try something with 4mm2 and see what that does.
Tried Chord Signature XL. Hell the system sounds superb but didn’t make any difference  to bringing on the fans (might have made it worse, but I say neutral).

Now I know what £3K cables sound like though 🙂 

Chris 1970

Love colors in music
Wammer Plus
Aug 16, 2021
France
AKA
Christophe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Albert,

Could you post a photo of your installation?
It could help. 🙂

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online