1. No
Hi Chris

here they are sitting side by side. 

let me know if u need another angle ;-)  

atc blue main logo.jpg

View attachment 96831
Very nice and clean setup 😊

Plenty of air above… no question.

As you said, fans begin at 75 on the pre.
It's higher than my experience with Solos… so the air above works in your case, so your Solos are OK for me…

The things to make an even better cooling:
1 – No LP under the Solos to refresh the wood plate in between,
2 – not very esthetic, but some sup foots that elevate the 3 boxes, to let the air pass under…

As the LP covers are made of paper, and are very compact in the 2 shelves, they should keep the heat.
And I'm pretty sure that this heat return to the wood then return to the Solos…

You have to try! Tell us🤞

Last edited by a moderator:

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Chris
here they are sitting side by side. 
let me know if u need another angle
wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif

atc blue main logo.jpg
View attachment 96831
This might be a cheap experiment to try: place the solos on each side of the DSM/preamp. That way you don’t have two heat producing pieces next to each other.

Part 2 after separating the solos try raising them a few inches just to check if air under them helps with cooling

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Check the temperature of the cases. Maybe the thermal paste is not fitted correct (unlikely that both solos have this problem).

But as mentioned above: 75 (of 100) is very loud.

• Upvote
Reactions: heimo

AlbertF

Wammer
Sep 17, 2021
UK scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This might be a cheap experiment to try: place the solos on each side of the DSM/preamp. That way you don’t have two heat producing pieces next to each other.

Part 2 after separating the solos try raising them a few inches just to check if air under them helps with cooling

Relocated two shelves of vinyl so will give this a try and report back. 

AlbertF

Wammer
Sep 17, 2021
UK scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Relocated two shelves of vinyl so will give this a try and report back. 

Ben 

75 is loud about 92db. Separated out on either side of DSM and at 73 fans on after 15 mins. Bottom of units are hot to touch - uncomfortably so.  Bringing vol down to 70 and fans stayed off for 20mins. units still hot.

it’s seems to be around what you said at the start of the thread. Maybe a proper rack with some slats to let air in from below would help. 

challenge is the fans are so noisy especially when both are on and the volumes been dropped down. Picking up with my audio guru and dealer now I’ve tried a few things and see what Linn say. 

thanks all. 

Reactions: Chris 1970

mlee

New Wammer
Oct 24, 2018
Cumbria
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have 8 solos through 2 Klimax Exact boxes into Isobariks. When I purchased my last two solos, the fan consistently started up on one of them after maybe 20 to 30 minutes running at about 70. My dealer took it back to his shop and ran it in his demo system. It did the same there. The offending solo was returned to Linn as faulty. It was fixed under warranty within a couple of weeks and has been fine since. I have no idea what the problem was, but it is fine now.

I have also experienced other solo fans cutting in when the ambient room temperature has been very (unpleasantly) high and also when they were stacked a more restrictive space.

However, from your photographs there should be no reason why the fans are cutting in. They are well ventilated (assuming the ambient room temperature is not excessive. I suspect there is a fault that requires Linn's attention, after perhaps running the offending solo in your dealer's system to double check.*

* Before doing this I also physically swapped the offending solo between upper / lower bass, mid and treble (I can't recall which) to see if the fault followed the solo. It did.

Peter_P

Music makes the world a better place.
Wammer
Nov 12, 2018
Bielefeld, Germany
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hello AlbertF,

what are the serial numbers of the two Solos?

If they are between 653049 and 789974, there is a possibility to reduce the high heating of the amplifier by a transistor exchange.
The instructions are from LINN and must be carried out by an authorised dealer.
(Linn part no. RES 047).

Last edited by a moderator:

AlbertF

Wammer
Sep 17, 2021
UK scotland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello AlbertF,

what are the serial numbers of the two Solos?

If they are between 653049 and 789974, there is a possibility to reduce the high heating of the amplifier by a transistor exchange.
The instructions are from LINN and must be carried out by an authorised dealer.
(Linn part no. RES 047).
Thanks 

serial numbers are way much higher than the range.- only built in august - but who knows could be similar issue 

AntoineHiFi

New Wammer
Aug 11, 2021
Nuremberg
AKA
AV
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello,

I had a deeper look on the A4200, and it tends to confirm the idea that amp is actually missing cooling below the case not above. Assuming the Solo works in the same way, the idea from Zee9 to uplift the case must helps. Also having them on a wood plate don't allow the heat to go away as wood is isolating. 

I'm trying now with elevated amp, and as next maybe about using an aluminum plate as base to help the heat to dissipate around. 

Back to the measurement: the cover temp is around 28 to 34deg. But the bottom side is around 32 to 40deg. The fans seems to start when the bottom side rise 38deg and cool down till it is back to 36deg.

=> So 38°C (100°F?) seems to be the limit to avoid fans, at least for the A4200/0. This is warms, but not HOT. Most probably the Klimax case has a different limit, but might have allow issues to cool the bottom side.

Regards,

Antoine IMG_4883.jpg IMG_4880.jpg

Reactions: Chris 1970

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have my devices elevated with pieces of ikea günstigs as pictured. $7.99 a piece at ikea and then cut to size. On older linn gear with the shorter legs (a/c4200) I use two pieces stuck together with crazy glue. These also help with vibrations.

341556885bfe9602a5d47ed4bdd758f6.jpg

5295e29343870a1d045ed090ad70b081.jpg

1b021eea27da7b28b1066e1c50c65924.jpg

Adsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/1 >> Majik 140’s (Silvers/K400)

zee9

Audio Junkie
Wammer
Oct 16, 2018
New Jersey, USA
AKA
Zorawar
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe I should start using double pieces on all the gear.

Adsm/3 >> Akurate 4200/1 >> Majik 140’s (Silvers/K400)

Ben Webster

System doesn‘t matter - if you have mine
Wammer
Dec 16, 2019
Frankfurt a.M. 🇩🇪
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
2 layers improves sound quality even more in my system, and 3 layers is better again.
Paul, have you tried eight levels? This should have an huuuuuuuge impact. 🤪

Even one layer has an impact, so I recommend to try if this goes in the right direction. If yes, there is no reason not to build towers 😂.

Paulssurround

Space Explorer
Wammer
Oct 11, 2018
Vancouver
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You know it makes sense…

7640DF0C-B20E-4884-BC5F-A302C6100E37.jpeg
Let me think about this for a second:

‘Let’s spend €2000 per Time Table Platform for each Linn component, or €4 for a Gunstig, from IKEA, which will give you much of the benefits of what the Time Tables do for mitigating vibrations?

• Haha
Reactions: Ben Webster

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online