Physical Media, where do we see it in 20 years.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, it is me, radiant red, long story but new name. Anyway, I’m sitting here listening to tunes and reading the insides of a gatefold and was thinking of the album 20 years ago and what we were listening to and watching. So 1992 vinyl was on the floor along with cassettes. CD was booming and VHS was still very dominant.

Today, Vinyl looking good, cassettes even making a comeback, small but slightly there. CD on the floor (almost) DVD’s slowly but surly slowing and Music and visual download media at an all time high and the norm in most households. So….

2042 (god I’ll be 78 if I get that far lol) I wonder where we will be on media.. 💭

The good news is, my partners boy is 12 and actually enjoys playing CD’s on his little music system in his room. Amazing!

Reactions: hiesteem

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Today, Vinyl looking good, cassettes even making a comeback, small but slightly there. CD on the floor (almost) DVD’s slowly but surly slowing and Music and visual download media at an all time high and the norm in most households. So….
CD sales rose  last year = personal view is that the music lovers who want to own their music will get either CDs  LPs and perhaps downloads to a server for access via their streamers.  

The one unknown in this is will artists pull away from streaming services as the royalties paid to them for streaming is a pittance .. time will tell 

Last edited by a moderator:

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
CD sales rose  last year = personal view is that the music lovers who want to own their music will get either CDs  LPs and perhaps downloads to a server for access via their streamers.  

The one unknown in this is will artists pull away from streaming services as the royalties paid to them for streaming is a pittance .. time will tell 
That’s a good point about royalties but will production of physical media be too expensive and abandoned.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
While there's equipment to play it, and there's money to be made from the sale of it, physical media in one shape or form will still be around. Who knows, perhaps one day the whole concept of owning a "hi-fi" will be back in-vogue and all our kit will actually be fashionable again

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

CD sales fell in 2021 according to several reports although not by as much as previous years.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
While there's equipment to play it, and there's money to be made from the sale of it, physical media in one shape or form will still be around. Who knows, perhaps one day the whole concept of owning a "hi-fi" will be back in-vogue and all our kit will actually be fashionable again
Some releases are not even available on cd and many older albums are not available new.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
17 minutes ago, uzzy said:

“The one unknown in this is will artists pull away from streaming services as the royalties paid to them for streaming is a pittance .. time will tell”

Will they, probably mostly  controlled by the record companies, unless you are a major artist. But it’s upto the artists to get better deals, because the record companies, seem to be getting more money despite the drop in physical sales.

Reactions: Rockchild

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Will they, probably mostly  controlled by the record companies, unless you are a major artist. But it’s upto the artists to get better deals because the record companies seem to be getting more money despite the drop in physical sales.
Maybe the royalty arguments will decide the fate 

• Upvote
Reactions: bigrod

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Will they, probably mostly  controlled by the record companies, unless you are a major artist. But it’s upto the artists to get better deals because the record companies seem to be getting more money despite the drop in physical sales.
Well I know of a few bands now (not big names) who will not allow their stuff on spotify and also seem to be controlling how much is on You Tube.  They brought to my attention that they get a fraction of a penny per play on streaming services ... as for Record Companies it will be interesting to see if they maintain the monopoly on new music with more business savvy musicians coming up.  

Without new music to sell (and it would be interesting to see how much of the stuff streamed is less than 3 years old) the Record Companies may change their attitude towards streaming services in the future .. time will tell 

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Unlike a suit I found in a box the other day 😊
My three suits and my dinner suit are on hangers in the wardrobe (in polythene suit covers) .. sadly so much less used these days .. but there for weddings and funerals (and sadly at my age the latter of those seems to be increasing) 

Reactions: Rockchild

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My three suits and my dinner suit are on hangers in the wardrobe (in polythene suit covers) .. sadly so much less used these days .. but there for weddings and funerals (and sadly at my age the latter of those seems to be increasing) 
Age is a barrier in the mind David. Anyway, what was it like selling 78’s when you were in the trade 😂❤️

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well I know of a few bands now (not big names) who will not allow their stuff on spotify and also seem to be controlling how much is on You Tube.  They brought to my attention that they get a fraction of a penny per play on streaming services ... as for Record Companies it will be interesting to see if they maintain the monopoly on new music with more business savvy musicians coming up.  

Without new music to sell (and it would be interesting to see how much of the stuff streamed is less than 3 years old) the Record Companies may change their attitude towards streaming services in the future .. time will tell 
Yes it will evolve because I think a lot of contracts were done before streaming was popular. They get a small amount for each play but then far more people are playing their music, most of the music I play I would not buy, I try out many artists, some I don’t even like but they still get some money. Even if I own the cd I usually stream it.

There are various figures out from Spotify etc. the most played artist I had never heard if, some rap artist, Bad Bunny. Certainly Spotify has a lot of new Rap, R&B, Hip Hop and Latin. Justin Bieber is also one of the most popular, in fact Spotify top artists is quite depressing.

Qobuz is completely different.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Yes some artists are not on streaming sites but is quite a small number. Some don’t have record contracts so can choose. A few big names kicked a fuss a few years ago and I suspect they got a better deal because all of them are back on now, Neil Young and Taylor Swift were 2 that come to mind. For some artists they would better off without streaming but do they have control?

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Get your limited edition Nevermind 50th Anniversary baby penis NFT while stocks last! All major cryptocurrencies accepted!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.