Physical Media, where do we see it in 20 years.

flak monkey

Weirdo Mosher Freak
Wammer Plus
Dec 24, 2010
Norfolk, UK
AKA
Sera
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Still be around, just less of it. Cassette tapes are now just coming back. In 20 years CDs will be the same as the resurgence in vinyl now. But they will partially disappear for a period.

My partner has albums out on CD, vinyl and on streaming (tidal and spotify), not big, but physical media still makes more money for the artists than the streaming, especially at gigs. Last streaming payment was under a quid for the year 😂

Reactions: hiesteem and DomT

Paul Allen

New Wammer
Nov 9, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think there is a huge difference with current generations and their perception of 'collecting'.

Despite the current trend for vinyl, certainly younger generations are at some point going to realise that they're going to need a lot of space to store this medium!

Of all the children of friends and relatives I know (bearing in mind I worked in the music industry for 20 years so most people I know are 'in to' music) I know very few who 'collect' CD or vinyl as the older generations do. Sure there are many who are as passionate about music as us but at the very most they just use streamers. Most are happy just playing music straight off their phones!
I love vinyl as much as the next man but I have to admit that these days I don't play it a lot; I think studio sound is just too ingrained in me. For every record I buy, I probably buy about 20 CDs.

CD sales are likely to never be where they were 10 or 20 years ago but sales are still fairly healthy and I don't think we'll see them disappear for several generations. For me collecting a physical object whether it be CD or vinyl still provides a great deal of satisfaction.

(Controversial) Of course, CD is still the most technically superior format  :whistle:

Reactions: Drumossie

Bruss22

Wammer
Jan 13, 2022
France
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Get with it Grandad. Streaming is the future. 😂

I have vinyl, lots of older cd’s now on a nas, and a few recent cd’s. Just about all my new content is now either downloads or streamed. I listen to more music than  I ever did. The cost model may not be good for the artists but only they ( or their agents) can change that. I don’t see Simon Cowell struggling too much. Vinyl is a nice thing to have for its touchy feely content but its not at all convenient and I’d argue not the end point in quality.

Reactions: hiesteem

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think there is a huge difference with current generations and their perception of 'collecting'.

Despite the current trend for vinyl, certainly younger generations are at some point going to realise that they're going to need a lot of space to store this medium!

Of all the children of friends and relatives I know (bearing in mind I worked in the music industry for 20 years so most people I know are 'in to' music) I know very few who 'collect' CD or vinyl as the older generations do. Sure there are many who are as passionate about music as us but at the very most they just use streamers. Most are happy just playing music straight off their phones!
I love vinyl as much as the next man but I have to admit that these days I don't play it a lot; I think studio sound is just too ingrained in me. For every record I buy, I probably buy about 20 CDs.

CD sales are likely to never be where they were 10 or 20 years ago but sales are still fairly healthy and I don't think we'll see them disappear for several generations. For me collecting a physical object whether it be CD or vinyl still provides a great deal of satisfaction.

(Controversial) Of course, CD is still the most technically superior format  :whistle:
I don’t think cd sales are that healthy, around 5m in the uk, even LPs sold more. In 2001 cd sales were over 120m.  Yes some artists like Adele are selling quite a lot on cd but that is a massive fall.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have no long term interest in physical music formats. It baffles me that vinyl is somehow still 'a thing' but given it is I'm sure vinyl and CD will still be with us to some extent in 20 years time.

I do still buy Blu-Rays for movies and TV series though, and physical PlayStation games for what it's worth too.

Reactions: Nativebon

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was once outside the village pub, going through some LPs that this chap was selling from his late father's collection. It was a sobering thought that one day someone would be doing the same thing to my record collection. I suspect I have up to 20 years left and so long as I can enjoy the records and the HiFi for the rest of that time I'll be happy. When I'm gone I think I'll be past caring.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I'm gone I think I'll be past caring.
I may get there first but, if you do still care after crossing the styx please, for the love of faith, cause a post in this thread to happen! [emoji120]

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Bazzer

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I wonder if in 20 years time, people (other than the likes of us) will be at all interested in listening to music. There will be live concert-goers (if live music is allowed at all), and there will be digitally-distributed music which will be of such poor quality that it will be fit only for background "entertainment", but I bet Joe Public won't sit down and listen to music in the future any more than he does now, and probably a lot less.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Twenty years from now? Vinyl will still be around. Sometime during the bit from now to then, at least one of the reasonably large players in the audiophile streaming market will pack up. Then people who have all 'their' music on their streaming service will suddenly figure out that they don't actually own any music at all, which may trigger an upsurge in interest in physical media. CDs may come and go, but in another twenty years, a larger proportion of them will have become uplayable due to chemical breakdown, so that may signal the end of the road.

By then, I'll be more interested in what my list of projects looks like, and whether I'll have finished the 300B PP monoblocks 🤣

Last edited by a moderator:

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He could be right. Those CDs from the 80s dont sound very good today do they ?    Maybe it was just the sh*t music I was buying in the 80s though ?    :)

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
He could be right. Those CDs from the 80s dont sound very good today do they ?    Maybe it was just the sh*t music I was buying in the 80s though ?    :)
If they are re-releases of stuff that was originally out on vinyl yes they will sound crap. And you are right about a lot of 80s music sounding crap but there was some good stuff about, it just wasn't in the charts.

Reactions: garn63

flak monkey

Weirdo Mosher Freak
Wammer Plus
Dec 24, 2010
Norfolk, UK
AKA
Sera
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If they are re-releases of stuff that was originally out on vinyl yes they will sound crap. And you are right about a lot of 80s music sounding crap but there was some good stuff about, it just wasn't in the charts.
There's some brilliantly mastered popular stuff from the '80s. George Michael, Michael Jackson, Prince, Def Leppard, Bryan Adams, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac and many others. Indeed the original release of Love Over Gold on CD is one of the most common reference/test albums, released about 10 years after the original vinyl/analogue release in '82.

Some early CD mastering was a bit duff while they were figuring stuff out, but a lot of it post '86 is fab.

Reactions: DougK

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's some brilliantly mastered popular stuff from the '80s. George Michael, Michael Jackson, Prince, Def Leppard, Bryan Adams, Dire Straits, Fleetwood Mac and many others.

Some early CD mastering was a bit duff while they were figuring stuff out, but a lot of it post '86 is fab.
I've got Dire Straits and Fleetwood Mac on vinyl. The rest of that list I don't care for much. I also have ZZ Top, Here & Now, James Taylor, Camel, and the Magic Mushroom Band on vinyl; I tried AB-ing Traffic On The Road between Vinyl & CD, the CD was unlistenable (may have been done pre-1986).

flak monkey

Weirdo Mosher Freak
Wammer Plus
Dec 24, 2010
Norfolk, UK
AKA
Sera
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got Dire Straits and Fleetwood Mac on vinyl. The rest of that list I don't care for much. I also have ZZ Top, Here & Now, James Taylor, Camel, and the Magic Mushroom Band on vinyl; I tried AB-ing Traffic On The Road between Vinyl & CD, the CD was unlistenable (may have been done pre-1986).
They are different, just personal preference. I can think of several albums that sound better on CD than vinyl and vice versa. There was an awful lot of cheap, rubbish vinyl produced in the 1980's that ruined otherwise well recorded albums.

I can't say that I'm a fan of all those examples either, but I do know good production when I hear it, even if I wouldn't class myself a fan of the actual music.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Really, what’s all this good stuff? The 80s for me was one of the worst decades for music.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online