Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just playing the opening few minutes of the 4th - gosh, so many recordings to try! 

Haitink is weighty and a bit ponderous in both recordings, fantastic sq on Decca, real bass slam at the very start - that's rare on classical recordings ime. 

Pletnev is ludicrously slow. That's not to say he's wrong. Shostakovich can intend to be ludicrous. 

Previn is similarly paced to Haitink, but a bit more in the way of immediacy in the accenting. I prefer that. 

Slovak (Naxos) seems a bit laidback and uncommitted. 

Kondrashin suffers from poorer sound quality. Important in this work imo. 

Neeme Jarvi is a bit dynamically bland, he just kind of chugs along. He doesn't seem to have an interpretation as such. 

The one that hasn't let me jump on to the next recording because its got me seriously involved is Ashkenazy. It's the precision of the orchestral section voicing, especially the brass and also the woodwinds. He's quite fast, too, which I think works well. Yup, I'm staying with Ashkenazy for now. 

A lot more to try, though! 

Last edited by a moderator:

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I fall definitely into the cliched group “I don’t know much about [music] but I know what I like”.

I have none of the Haitinck versions of Shostakovich symphonies, but I have various versions of some - notably not mentioned by the afficionadoes on this thread, and I bow to your superior musical knowledge and appreciation (seriously - that was not tongue-in-cheek in any way).

I have the Mark Wigglesworth  set and various Gergiev versions, a Previn and a Noseda and a couple of Jarvis.

I enjoy listening to any of them even if they are a bit ‘difficult’ for me.

I have the string quartets by the Sorrel Quartet, two violin concerti by Mordkovich (and Zimmermann).

I have very eclectic tastes but understand little!  I appreciate the insights that you more expert listeners than I offer in these threads.

May I continue to be informed by your more insightful comments and opinions, and thank you.

• Thanks
Reactions: JANDL100

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, we've got opinions. That's for sure. Although they often contradict each other. And are based on, to a greater or lesser extent, limited experience of all the recordings available. But it's fun to discuss such things and to learn from each other!

I've heard some of Wigglesworth's Shostakovich and enjoyed it very much. Lovely BIS recording quality, too! 

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It was rather strange listening to Ashkenazy's Shostakovich 6th symphony this morning. 

About two thirds of the way through the 1st movement I had to check that I hadn't inadvertently switched to the 11th symphony. Very very similar. 

I'd never noticed that before with the 6th. If asked, I would have said that they were quite different. 

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The other thing I'd say {about the 15th} is that it feels quite anti-climactic towards the end. It kind of fizzles out. It would have been good for his final symphony to end more strongly.
I'm coming to the view that I really like the ending of the 15th. 

It goes out not with a bombastic sarcastic bang, or a defeated terrified whimper, but with a quite serene fade out, finally at peace with it all, with a delightfully upbeat and smiling ting at the end. Cool. 

• Upvote
Reactions: Camverton and josh

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My evidenceless hypothesis that Shostakovich was influenced to write in the Lone Ranger theme in his 15th symphony to amuse, or perhaps at the request of, his young son rather flounders on the unfortunate fact that Maxim was born in 1938,so would have been about 33 at the time! 

However.... Maxim's son Dmitri Jnr was born in 1961, and so would have been 10 at the time of composition.

Aha! Proud grandad including themes to amuse the youngster, and in a symphony he referred to as a toy shop!!!! 

Yeah, I reckon it ties in nicely. ;)

josh

Wammer
Wammer
May 1, 2006
NW London
Any update to your thoughts on the 15th Jerry? Any favoured version?

Would be lovely if this piece can act as the reconciliation between your and Malcolm's views, and I'll happily take credit for making it happen - as my gift back to you both ;)

Camverton

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2009
Herefordshire
AKA
Malcolm
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I did listen to Haitink 15th the other day and wasn’t much taken with it. Maxim Shostakovich with the Prague is still the one for me and, unlike Haitink, in this symphony holds my interest throughout.

Oh, and until someone can prove that the Lone Ranger was shown on Soviet TV at the time I’ll hear Rossini quoted 😛!

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well done on keeping this thread going folks!  👍    Haven't been on here for years and I see all these notifications.

Anyway - I haven't heard the Maxim Shostakovich/Prague 15th yet - sounds like I should.

I have an LP of Maxim conducting the Moscow RSO in the 15th from 1973 - the premiere recording of what was then brand new music. I don't think this was ever on CD, not sure why because it is a very worthwhile performance in not-bad-at-all sound.

I think the 6th is DSCH's most under-regarded masterpiece.  Neeme Jarvi (father of Paavo) and Scottish National Orchestra on Chandos is my current favourite.  But always got a soft spot for Previn & LSO.

One thing that I think has to be right is the terror pomp in the 2nd movement - the way it gradually builds to the climax means the speeds have to be very carefully considered. If its too fast its not going to be scary enough.   I love the contrast with the frozen static terror of the first movement - which is genius, its put me in mind of Sibelius's Tapiola which also seems to depict freezing horror by using ongoing movement in the music.

I have been following Andris Nelsons and his slowly released cycle with the Boston Symphony - very very good so far - his 6th and 4th are both excellent.  Very much unlike his gradual Bruckner cycle with the Leipzig Gewandhaus which I found utterly dull.

I'd also shout out for Nelsons recording of DSCH 11th..... superb sonically and musically. The 11th is not a great symphony overall - its propaganda music written to fulfil obligations - but it does contains some amazing music especially the (again) terrifying 2nd movement and Nelsons/Boston bring it off wonderfully.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.