Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What the hell is it with people and audio kit. The more I look around the network audio forums and the equipment and cables aimed at them, the more I realise just how many numpities populate the planet.

http://www.the-ear.net/review-hardware/audioquest-ethernet-cables-pt2-ethernet-cable

If you are having networking problems, look at faster routers/switches or sort out the QOS on what you have, but these really are not going to help, The TCP/IP protocol is pretty well sorted to handle out of sequence packets, lost packets, flow and congestion control, so unless you have a really poor network setup, the receiver always gets good data transfer. If not, and you suffer from dropouts then look into your network , not bling cables.

john.stone

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 3, 2009
near Glasgow.
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ha ha! A grand for a patch cable!

Someone needs to go straight to the cockpunching thread. Do not pass Go! do not collect £200!

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I would like to know where my missing data is going in the various data centres that hold all the data basically running the internet (google for example) that use standard specification ethernet cables.....

karlinamillion

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2007
Londinium
AKA
Karl
I would like to know why the data cables from the NAS (where the music lives) to switch 1 is 'Important', the cables from switch 1 to 2 & 3 are 'rather important' & from switch 2 & 3 to the two audio boxes 'most important'

Is it possible that it's all claptrap????

network-diagram.jpg

In fact shouldn't it be NAS to one (audiophole) switch box to the audio units? I think someone has missed a trick, 5 Port Audiophile Ethernet switch, to you $895

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
I would like to know why the data cables from the NAS (where the music lives) to switch 1 is 'Important', the cables from switch 1 to 2 & 3 are 'rather important' & from switch 2 & 3 to the two audio boxes 'most important'Is it possible that it's all claptrap????

network-diagram.jpg

In fact shouldn't it be NAS to one (audiophole) switch box to the audio units? I think someone has missed a trick, 5 Port Audiophile Ethernet switch, to you $895
Hehe, great diagram.

The cables are very pretty.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
What the fuckitty fuck?!
Presumably they felt the patch cables that are carrying the packets to the web host carrying their advert were 'Unimportant' :D

Popey

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 19, 2013
Swindon
AKA
Mark
If you are having networking problems, look at faster routers/switches or sort out the QOS on what you have, but these really are not going to help, The TCP/IP protocol is pretty well sorted to handle out of sequence packets, lost packets, flow and congestion control, so unless you have a really poor network setup, the receiver always gets good data transfer. If not, and you suffer from dropouts then look into your network , not bling cables.
What 'domestic' network hardware has QoS? Neither my (admittedly not excellent Virgin Media router) nor my netgear switches support it.

I'm interested to know what you'd recommend or what you use on your network.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Most now do have some kind of QoS support, but it's not really needed (or that useful) for home media.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most now do have some kind of QoS support' date=' but it's not really needed (or that useful) for home media.[/quote']It is surprising just how much even the cheap domestic networking kit does support - they are all based on chips from a very small number of suppliers & the difference in features is down to what facilities in the chips are turned on in a particular product. I bought a bunch of wireless access points recently and was surprised to find that they supported VLANs, which is a feature that I had expected to find only in pro kit.

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why the f..k would you need 3 switches in the average house? A good quality 8 / 16 port switch is all you need. It's either a Cat 5e or Cat 6 Ethernet cable or not. QoS is not needed unless you are streaming shite loads of data, your average switch has a 1G bit/sec backbone, even the cheapo ones have 100M backbone. So, a .WAV (highest size) will be about 30M spread over 3 minutes, so 10M a minute, so 100M a second is not exactly stressed, in fact less than 1% used. If you stream HD video and music alongside, it's still not stressed, maybe as much as 10% utilisation. Get bloody real.

The slowest part of any computer network/server/PC will be the hard disk.

This is all assuming it's wired, wireless is another matter and depends on the transmitting and receiving equipment, distance and any obstacles.

p.s. WTF do you need Cat 7 for? I could go for Cat 6 for HD streaming, but Cat 7? Nah :doh:

68rednose

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2013
Mainland Europe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would like to know why the data cables from the NAS (where the music lives) to switch 1 is 'Important', the cables from switch 1 to 2 & 3 are 'rather important' & from switch 2 & 3 to the two audio boxes 'most important'Is it possible that it's all claptrap????

In fact shouldn't it be NAS to one (audiophole) switch box to the audio units?
Yes and yes.

You quite nailed it, exactly what I thought.

It goes against all logic, even if the network cables would matter.

Apart from that, he hasn't got the finest taste for, or knowledge on whisky either.

2 good reasons to disqualify. :cafe:

"To compare this to whisky drinking, Famous Grouse tastes fantastic until you enjoy Glenmorangie or Glenlivet."

kernow

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 25, 2009
Devon
AKA
Shaun
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I would like to know where my missing data is going in the various data centres that hold all the data basically running the internet (google for example) that use standard specification ethernet cables.....
Yes but it's for audio

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Is Cat6 more musical than Cat5? What do people think? :dunno:

rockabillybass

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 2, 2008
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's no wonder people despise cable companies (and even the hifi trade in general) when you see horse shit like this. Un effin' believable. :doh:

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's no wonder people despise cable companies (and even the hifi trade in general) when you see horse shit like this. Un effin' believable. :doh:
It is wank-ware. The hi fi trade is full of it; this is just an extreme example.

Surprised they don't come with instructions on how to burn them in...

karlinamillion

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2007
Londinium
AKA
Karl
Is Cat6 more musical than Cat5? What do people think? :dunno:
Yes, it's 1 more.

- - - Updated - - -

..."To compare this to whisky drinking, Famous Grouse tastes fantastic until you enjoy Glenmorangie or Glenlivet."
Even I, who knows nothing about whiskey, knew this was bollox.

But the clue was in every thing else that was written.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.