TCP/IP Networking, Cables and Numpties

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am not convinced that random people like yourself posting to this forum understand computer audio any better than I do. You may well have a track record in designing state of the art digital audio equipment, but until if and when I find out you have some sort of track record and expertise, why should I think that you know more than I do?I don't regard a reputable brand such as Audioquest as 'foo con-men'. I haven't spent a lot of money on my computer audio server and associated cables, and in fact I have spent much less than the average computer audiophile with a Windows tower or Mac Mini or whatever.
You're right to be sceptical of random people making random comments on fora, but suffice it to say that with ~40 years in the computer industry, the last 30 of which have been deeply involved in the development of industry standards for Ethernet, WiFi, and LAN switching, I think I have a somewhat better than average knowledge of what does and does not affect the operation of a digital network, whether it is used for audio or not. Putting directional arrows on your Ethernet cables, and making the conductors out of silver (for example) aren't on my list of things that matter a damn, other than to give the punter the warm feeling of having bought a pretty new toy.

We're deep into "The Emperor's New Clothes" territory here.

smegger68

With your sister, somewhere you wouldn't like.
Wammer
Jan 18, 2006
Bridgend
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just a quick point about spread spectrum clocking - every board with this feature will have a BIOS setting to turn it off. Not that it would make the slightest difference in this instance, but it's there for your peace of mind.

pgarrish

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2011
Preston, Lancashire,
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Spending a bit more on an ethernet cable should be aimed at one thing only - better physical connectors, specifically, the latch not snapping so you can get the damn thing out of the socket again.

tonerei

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 14, 2012
Dublin,Ireland
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Really don't want to join this debate as I know the caliber of replies that will ensue but always like supporting the underdog. Richard there is no reason why a 'better' or more expensive ethernet cable should sound better but it does. I bought a used Meicord ethernet cable(cat 5) and for whatever reason jplay streaming from laptop to audiopc has a richer or more harmonic tone with the meicord. Don't know why but it does. Maybe it is in the connectors being better constructed I don't care but thought Rdale deserves a dig out. Of course it just means I am dragged into the hole.

My truppence worth. Meicord and some of these other companies(doubt audioquest I think you picked the wrong product there) supply their cable for medical devices for hospitals. Either that is another foo territory(btw I hate the insulting word foo) or there is a good reason for insisting on 'better' cables for these machines. Delivering packages for a word doc is different to video or Music. Without any scientific knowledge my guess for music is timing and electrical noise/interference. Yes buffering looks after the issue for most data that is sent and if buffered it don't matter but my guess is for muzak it does.

Goodnight I am running for the hills. :run: :run:See you in Scalford to discuss.

Oh BTW I spent too many years in datacentre's until they finally turned out the lights

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How is streamed data, that carries music information, any different to any other streamed data. There must be a reason we audiophools are laughed at in the streets.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Really don't want to join this debate as I know the caliber of replies that will ensue but always like supporting the underdog. Richard there is no reason why a 'better' or more expensive ethernet cable should sound better but it does. I bought a used Meicord ethernet cable(cat 5) and for whatever reason jplay streaming from laptop to audiopc has a richer or more harmonic tone with the meicord. Don't know why but it does. **Maybe it is in the connectors being better constructed I don't care but thought Rdale deserves a dig out. Of course it just means I am dragged into the hole.My truppence worth. Meicord and some of these other companies(doubt audioquest I think you picked the wrong product there) supply their cable for medical devices for hospitals. Either that is another foo territory(btw I hate the insulting word foo) or there is a good reason for insisting on 'better' cables for these machines. Delivering packages for a word doc is different to video or Music. Without any scientific knowledge my guess for music is timing and electrical noise/interference. Yes buffering looks after the issue for most data that is sent and if buffered it don't matter but my guess is for muzak it does.

Goodnight I am running for the hills. :run: :run:See you in Scalford to discuss.

Oh BTW I spent too many years in datacentre's until they finally turned out the lights
Breathtaking!! :cool:

& wrong!! :doh:

More discordant bollocks, rather than richness of harmonics tho' Tony. I congratulate you on your fluency in speaking GUFF! :^

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
Really don't want to join this debate as I know the caliber of replies that will ensue
PS I love how you preface the majority of your replies with this sort of bollocks. Are you trying to garner some kind of victim status?

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
Really don't want to join this debate as I know the caliber of replies that will ensue but always like supporting the underdog. Richard there is no reason why a 'better' or more expensive ethernet cable should sound better but it does. I bought a used Meicord ethernet cable(cat 5) and for whatever reason jplay streaming from laptop to audiopc has a richer or more harmonic tone with the meicord. Don't know why but it does. Maybe it is in the connectors being better constructed I don't care but thought Rdale deserves a dig out. Of course it just means I am dragged into the hole.My truppence worth. Meicord and some of these other companies(doubt audioquest I think you picked the wrong product there) supply their cable for medical devices for hospitals. Either that is another foo territory(btw I hate the insulting word foo) or there is a good reason for insisting on 'better' cables for these machines. Delivering packages for a word doc is different to video or Music. Without any scientific knowledge my guess for music is timing and electrical noise/interference. Yes buffering looks after the issue for most data that is sent and if buffered it don't matter but my guess is for muzak it does.

:shock: . Jeez, you are a bit dumb.

tonerei

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 14, 2012
Dublin,Ireland
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
PS I love how you preface the majority of your replies with this sort of bollocks. Are you trying to garner some kind of victim status?
I follow Leeds United I am a victim. But dreams do come true Mark and that idiot in your avatar might just bring Manu down to meet us

- - - Updated - - -

Listen George Michael you aint talking to Andrew now

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.