Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2019
Malaysia
AKA
Wilson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Its funny you mentione the Kii3, they were on the list when I thought I might get away with bringing them away from the walls. Start off with the Kii3 and then add the bxt later. 

To be honest, although they'll be used for tv & movies 70% of the time, I'm not overly concerned with how much of an improvement they bring. Anything is going to be better than the TV speakers and I really want something that will do its best with the 30% its used for music. This was really the reason I didnt want to go with a sound bar as I felt the compromise was too much the the way. 
Hahaha! They are really good enough to turn you room into an EDM dance club with superb sound. But for serious hifi ... naaaah ... I do not see the price being justified.

If I had a set of Kii3 BXT, I would be playing tracks like My Life by Zhu.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not saying I agree with it all, but here's the Townshend Audio video I mentioned:

tIANcI

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 20, 2019
Malaysia
AKA
Wilson
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Haven't tried sorbothane hemispheres but the ones I just Googled don;t look very substantial. I may be wrong in practice. I think the Mopads give great stability as well.
Seriously, for smaller bookshelf on stands, it’s ok. I will not use for big bookshelf speakers. Stability is an issue when you got kids. For shelf use it’s ok.

After using the Isonodes, I can’t feel any vibration on the stand’s pillars. Without, it’s so obvious. So I assume that’s good. I assume. 😬

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Been reading up on some of the active monitors on KMR's website and these Dynaudios look interesting.  I used to have a pair about 15 years ago and they were great for listening for several hours at a time.

These have some interesting functionality regarding positioning beyond just eq. Might be interesting?

https://www.kmraudio.com/dynaudio-core-7-active-studio-monitor.php

JMcQueen

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 1, 2015
I wonder how they compare to the XD20 which are the domestic 2 way powered. Very similar price too.

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would get way bigger tv and spend the rest on some Dynaudio Lyd series + predac ( Yamaha WXC-50 or second hand Benchmark dac or Audiolab m-dac)

btw, how deep is the sideboard? it doesn't look very deep so may not accommodate many speakers not to mention space behind them. You have a nice long wall there and - in an ideal world - this sideboard should go. 

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Upvote
Reactions: Strider

JMcQueen

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 1, 2015
TV will be going for an 85" wall mounted in due course. Sideboard wont be going though as this is the living room and has to be a compromise. Its not massively deep, 420mm

The Lyd are nearfield though arent they? The listening will be anything but near field

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Re near/ mid/ far field.. in Pro world they simply describe smaller ( two way) speakers as ' near filed', bigger ( 3 way, 3 drivers) as ' mid field' and massive with multiply drivers  as' far field'

I have mentioned Lyd series as you were considering Dynaudio Focus 20XD... the Lyd 7 is same size and I wouldn't be surprised if the drivers are the same; the XD series got nice high gloss finish and choice of veneers

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Re near/ mid/ far field.. in Pro world they simply describe smaller ( two way) speakers as ' near filed', bigger ( 3 way, 3 drivers) as ' mid field' and massive with multiply drivers  as' far field'
I would expect this to be related to intended listening distance as well though? Although in practical terms I'd have thought there would be far more concern from listening too close to larger speakers than too far away from smaller ones, and so not necessarily an issue for the OP to worry about.

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes Martin, it's related to listening distance... 

JMcQueen can only put them on a sideboard so small-ish 2 ways are his only option... I wouldn't worry about volume, it's not like he won't hear them from 5 meters away.. it's a living room after all; I've made few house parties with 45 watts amp and two way ( 6 inch woofer) speakers; it was crazy loud. 

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Plenty of nearfields are three way including the ones I am about to buy for my studio. Also some nearfilds are specified as nearfield/midfield. These may or may not work for you.

If you read the specs on each monitor it should be easy enough to come up with a shortlist that would be suitable for your lounge and then contact the appropriate proaudio dealer. 

The entire proaudio world seems to operate on a try at home and return basis if you don’t like it.

• Upvote
Reactions: dari

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I currently have 3 sets of bookshelf speakers, all purchased because they work near walls, in corners and on my windowsill (for the bedroom system) These are;

My Audio Design MAD 1920 -  rear ported but benefit from rear wall placement . An excellent , slightly warm sounding speaker with great bass for size.

Audiosmile Kensai  - just found some of these on used market, very clean and detailed, tiny speaker that would almost certainly work on sideboard ( mine are currently on the windowsill and in corners !)

Avi Pro Nine - These have been used on my windowsill  for many years until last week and in corners and would fit the bill for you. You could have mine for £200 if you were interested as they are now surplus to my requirements

Ray 

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's a good price for Avi's.

btw, any Avi will work extremely well very close to back wall, the mids will stay very clear and bass tuneful and fast... could be a solution for your sideboard. 

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a pair of Avi Pro Nines too  :) . I bought them when I had a pretty small room, where they sounded good. I do though think they may sound rather small/thin in a room as large as the OP's though (based on the 5 m to the listening position comment). That has been my experience when I've tried them in larger room anyway. Adding a sub would obviously help.

@JMcQueen I still think you need to seriously think how important TV/movie sound may become, since this may affect hardware choices. The plans for a large TV make me think you may regret not thinking more along these lines...

• Upvote
Reactions: dari

t1no

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2014
North West
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How about a nice pair of Sonus Faber Chameleon B. Bottom ported and sits on rubber isolating block (close to wall and isolation problems sorted in one go). The side panels can be changed to suit your decor. I have a pair like the ones below and might be tempted to part with them :

sonus-faber-chameleon-b.jpg

Reactions: TheFlash

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a pair of Avi Pro Nines too  :) . I bought them when I had a pretty small room, where they sounded good. I do though think they may sound rather small/thin in a room as large as the OP's though (based on the 5 m to the listening position comment). That has been my experience when I've tried them in larger room anyway. Adding a sub would obviously help.
You're right Martin, my suggestion was based on the back wall proximity but yes, they could sound thin in such a large room. My DM10 were lacking body a little having only around 7lt space behind midbass driver, DM12 are much more satisfying with almost 12lt space behind midbass. Actually, it's a good idea to put well controlled ( bass wise) monitors on the top of that sideboard and sub in the corner + some dsp in between to tame room modes. 

JMcQueen

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 1, 2015
That has actually been my thinking in the last few days - decent monitors backed by a sub. Obvious ones that spring to mind are the Kef LS50w as suggested by the first reply. But I dont see why something like the Sonus Fabre wouldnt work either (obviously this adds to the passive/active drive conversation too).

Room is roughly 4.8m width x 6.5m length in dimension 

dari

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
In my experience Kef LS50W are terrible close to back wall. They have some room adjustments but even with those all the way down there's stil excess of bass; I've had them on home demo; stereo image is very good, top smooth but the bass is poor... unless you put them well into the room but that's not something you're looking for. 

plasticpenguin

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Bookham, Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
:bulb:

Whatever you buy, place them on Auralex Mopads.

Sideboard = hollow chamber within possibly causing boom +  the vibrations in general on a piece of furniture as opposed to a designed speaker stand.  Mopads may be a solution. They 'disappear' well enough visually.

2 Different sizes available and you can customise the verticle angle a bit by placing in a supplied wedge - depends the level you sit at compared to sideboard whether you want straight or angled down.

auralex_mopad_monitor_isolators_thedjshop.jpg

c1d276b667f75eb8ddc7641281d80b06.png
Nice one. I would certainly use pads of some description. Perhaps to test the theory, the OP could try some computer mouse mats before splashing out on expensive speakers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles