CD Players with built in Preamp

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
so guys - I'm thinking about what I will replace the Marantz with if it sells on eBay. I'm interested in trying something that can be connected straight to a power amp so I have the option to play around with digital and valve power amps when time/money allows.

Are there many options in the middle of the market apart from older Wadias like the 6 and 12?

PS I've decided that I can't be doing with going back to do chemistry, so uni has been put off until 2007 now
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
. I shall be returning as a medic
biggrin.png

Theoretically this means I don't really need to sell anything - but I've started so I'll finish!

PS anyone in science who reads 'Nature' can see my team and a photo of our bacteria in the current issue
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

G

Oh you so know what i'm going to say

smwadia.jpg

Wadia 301 about £1800 and fully serviced. Go on my son. A few trips to the sperm bank and you'll have the cash

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Duvet wrote:

Oh you so know what i'm going to say
smwadia.jpg

Wadia 301 about £1800 and fully serviced. Go on my son. A few trips to the sperm bank and you'll have the cash
What! with his bacteria?

:flasher:

E

Effem

Biscuit wrote:

PS anyone in science who reads 'Nature' can see my team and a photo of our bacteria in the current issue
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif
Pervert :flasher:

G

We were getting round to it Dave:Dand whats the piccie of the Wadia then. Good shout on the Quad though. I always forget about that one

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
does the Ikemi have a built in pre as well Dave? Heard one a while ago and thought it was pretty special.

The Quad CDP-2 is a good one I hadn't thought of as well, thanks!

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
does the Ikemi have a built in pre as well Dave?
Nope but best bet is the Quad as it also has digital inputs should you have say a DAB tuner or freeview box or maybe even a sky box ?

But best of all it comes with a transport built by the guy who use to work for phillips, who now works for Quad this means Quad now have one of the best transports and the ability to service cd players for many years to come, I suspect in a few years even Naim cd players will have Quad transports now Phillips have stopped making them

here is info

[align=left]

[align=left]The CDP-2 is an update to Quad's extremely successful top-of-the-range CD-P. The original CD-P wowed customers with its excellent sound quality and neat additional features, including six digital inputs and a high quality variable output too. However, following the winding down of Philips' Optical Storage division, there are no longer any suppliers of high-quality CD mechanisms left - meaning the transport mech in the CD-P is now discontinued.

This has left many manufacturers in a difficult situation, meaning that either a DVD mechanism has to be used or, worse still, a cheap data drive (non of which are optimised for 1x reading). Considering these compromises unacceptable, Quad has tackled the problem head-on by hiring Jon Green - one of the leading figures from Philips' CD transport team - a man with an unsurpassed hands-on knowledge of the intracacies of high-end CD drive development.

The result is the unique CD drive found in the Quad CDP-2. It's a rare beast because the whole application is custom designed for one purpose only - this Quad CD player - rather than being a bolt-in solution. Jon's bespoke implementations of laser reading strategies - customised to the CDP-2 - result in a vibrancy of sound and resolution of detail unequalled by any other CD drive, at anything like the price. Not least because this kind of knowledge is held by only six or seven people in the world - several of whom are already retired.

Doing a back-to-back comparison with the original CD-P should reveal major steps forward in finesse, resolution, and pacing - putting the CDP-2 firmly at the top of its class. The good news for existing customers is that CD-Ps can be retro-fitted with the new transport to turn them into full CDP-2s - since the transport is the only difference between the two players. The cost of that upgrade is still to be confirmed, but details will be released in the very near future.

The CDP-2 sells at the same price as its predecessor, and still includes six digital inputs (ideal for those with Freeview boxes, DAB tuners, PlayStations, or other equipment with a digital out), plus a fixed output, and an ultra-short signal path variable output for those wishing to go straight into a power amp. QuadLink connectors are also fitted to allow simple and perfect integration with a complete 99 series installation.

[/align]
[/align]

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Congrats on getting in Nature Biccy.

(Even if no-one else appreciates quite how much of a big deal that is!)

biggrin.png

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Biccy

Musical Fidelity did something called the A308 CD Pre so it was based on the behemoth that was the A308 series and I understand it was quite good (never heard it myself).

I had a scoot on the Sevenoaks website under clearance and the actual Sevenoaks branch has one for £899 - could be worth a haggle

http://www.sevenoakssoundandvision.co.uk/stockclearance/stockclearance.html

One went on eBay recently:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MUSICAL-FIDELITY-CD-PRE-24_W0QQitemZ5834362753QQcategoryZ3272QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's the link to the MF website:

http://www.musicalfidelity.com/mf/en/Products/archive.jsp?pid=3319

Hope it helps!

G

Nice darts GSRAI (monitor audio traitor:p) thats a cracking machine and originally retailed at £2200. I think Filete had one or maybe still does. Pm him if you are interested

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
Didn't really the like the 308 cdp, so not sure if the cdpre24 would be for me, I guess the other option is to buy a cheapish valve preamp and a normal cd player. The Quad is an interesting proposition though - especially since it would have digital inputs for the computer etc.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Duvet wrote:

Nice darts GSRAI (monitor audio traitor:p) thats a cracking machine and originally retailed at £2200. I think Filete had one or maybe still does. Pm him if you are interested
Didn't move away from the GR20's easily me ole' blanket!

If it helps I still have my Monitor Audio Radius AV setup (now that is sweet!).

G

gsrai wrote:

Duvet wrote:
Didn't move away from the GR20's easily me ole' blanket!

If it helps I still have my Monitor Audio Radius AV setup (now that is sweet!).
I bet when i sell mine you put a cheeky bid in:D

G

Biscuit wrote:

Didn't really the like the 308 cdp, so not sure if the cdpre24 would be for me, I guess the other option is to buy a cheapish valve preamp and a normal cd player. The Quad is an interesting proposition though - especially since it would have digital inputs for the computer etc.
Well if you don't like the 308 the pre wont impress you either. What you looking to really spend Biccy

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.