Chord Signature?!

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
But Mossy, you forget that:

The termination process for Signature speaker cable is both complex and difficult and because of this, Signature is only available in factory-terminated lengths. As with Chord's other speaker cables, Signature can be fitted with 4mm Banana plugs, BFA (Camcon) or Spade connectors.

Funny, to me it looks a lot like they've soldered a Z-plug onto the centre conductor and then slapped on some heat-shrink to cover up the untidy ends of the screen....

enbee23

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cynics, the lot of you.

Surely a reputable and upstanding company like Chord wouldn't want to make so much money, so easily?

smile.png

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
Leeds UK, ,
From the chord site ...

The conductors consist of 9 strands of high purity copper and total about 3mm diameter, making a 10 gauge conductor. The insulation material is gas foamed polyethylene. This has several major advantages. This type of dielectric produces better phase stability than solid polyethylene. The gas foaming process helps to maintain the flexibility of the cable and at the same time, gas foamed polyethylene has a better (lower) dielectric value than solid polyethylene. The shield is a dual layer foil/woven braid

^ which coresponds exactly to mossie's picture

bahahahahahahahahahaha

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
its times like this I wish I wasn't an audiophool
smile.png

I suppose if you sell in small volumes like Chord, you need v.big margins to make decent money, and this is how they get them
wink.png

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
It would be very interesting to make up a knock-off out of satellite TV aerial cable and blind test it against the chord....
wink.png

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
nixon_fiend wrote:

All it should come down to is a good amp, the best speakers you can afford .. a half decent source .. then forget about it
Eh ?!

Rubbish in - Rubbish out.

Front End First.

etc

Think I might see if I can get some of that Ecoflex stuff just to play with.

As long as I don't buy it thru Chord, it should be cheap enough ! :lmao:

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Davewhityetagain wrote:

mosfet wrote:
Which cable in the Chord range do you think that is used for ?
The specification - materials, size, construction - seems to be the same as Signature speaker cable.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
meninblack wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:
mosfet wrote:
Which cable in the Chord range do you think that is used for ?
The specification - materials, size, construction - seems to be the same as Signature speaker cable.
I think you will find Chord Signature speaker cable comes from China (just a guess)
smile.png

made by a "mr ?" has a web site too does oem stuff

memory bad but it was someone here who supplied the link sometime ago

my feeling is most chord like 99% of cables made by the big companies come from three companies

Gotham http://www.gotham.ch

Belden http://www.belden.com/

Voodoo http://www.voodoo-cable.de/

the rest comes from China

it was mr "C" I think who said the other week something like the best copper cable he had heard comes from Switzerland

Is it this one ?

http://www.gotham.ch/gac/datsheet/gac_3.htm

M

Mr Coherent

Dave,

No these are not the said cables.

I will try and find a picture of some, only one of our clients uses them (we do not supply or have anything to do with them)

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Mr Coherent wrote:

Dave,No these are not the said cables.

I will try and find a picture of some, only one of our clients uses them (we do not supply or have anything to do with them)
ta was it you who told me about that company in china ? memory playing up big time
sad.png

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
Leeds UK, ,
JANDL100 wrote:

nixon_fiend wrote:
All it should come down to is a good amp, the best speakers you can afford .. a half decent source .. then forget about it
Eh ?!

Rubbish in - Rubbish out.

Front End First.
well, I worded that badly .. I mean inexpensive .. digital can now be doneso well so cheaply (as you know - with the beresford)

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
meninblack wrote:

It would be very interesting to make up a knock-off out of satellite TV aerial cable and blind test it against the chord....
wink.png
Ecoflex10 is one of many RG213 co-ax cable variants. All RG213 types have the same basic specification - those with dual screen and foamed dielectric are one variant. None cost more than a couple of pounds a meter. Until that is you add some techflex sleeving and a load of [cough] marketing. I’m sure Chord are not the only cable vendors doing this.
wink.png

http://www.ssb.de/englisch/products/koax/ecoflex_e.shtml

Now, does anyone want to make me a better offer on my telly cable? The bid stands at £2.5K.

opusover21

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2007
Next door
AKA
Mrs Brown
lol! you lot are mad as a box of frogs! just to let you know I'v ordered a pair of townshend to be delivered over the weekend..these were very reasonable as I need 1 short and 1 long length as as most go for an equal pair this was on pair (well a bit more) with a decent length eBay/used pair. Full report over the next few days!

adios

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
opusover21 wrote:

lol! you lot are mad as a box of frogs! just to let you know I'v ordered a pair of townshend to be delivered over the weekend..these were very reasonable as I need 1 short and 1 long length as as most go for an equal pair this was on pair (well a bit more) with a decent length eBay/used pair. Full report over the next few days!adios
Why did you "need" to have townshend for different lengths ?

Chord QED and any other cable should work different lengths too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online