Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Rochdale, , United K
AKA
Mr Feet
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hmm ...... bit of sweet and sour ..... ..
I've seen it used in bolognese recipes so I thought I would give it a try in a pizza sauce recipe and it seems to work.

I also don't use cheese and prefer them that way.

belloire

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
West Yorkshire, UK
AKA
Darren
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
made my first ever home made pizza last night. (first time making the dough, tomato base and everything that is.....)

was awesome! should have taken pics really, but forgot in my haste to scoff!

i can see this becoming a bit of an obsession. does anybody know how well pizza dough freezes? (if it does at all)

roll_with_it

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 16, 2005
Middlesbrough, Cleve
made my first ever home made pizza last night. (first time making the dough, tomato base and everything that is.....)was awesome! should have taken pics really, but forgot in my haste to scoff!

i can see this becoming a bit of an obsession. does anybody know how well pizza dough freezes? (if it does at all)
Hi Darren, I used to divide the dough into portions and freeze them with no issue :)

leenorris78

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 1, 2009
London - SE23 -HOP
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Thanks for the tip.

For me, I make dough, load it with toppings, then its an arse to get thin base into oven. Your pic shows to put base onto rack before loading with toppings (pic 2).

Cheers!!

Here you go boys ........ the Jamie dough recipe is fine ..... I don't make as much as the recipe says ...... I stretch my dough out on chopping board with marks on giving me max size for oven shelf thing ,,,,,,, I then put shelf thing on top of pizza dough and turn chopping board upside down thus transferring the pizza dough to shelf thing you know when things are right when dough is a bit like stretch armstrong .........Then put your toppings on ..... I make my own tomato toping by frying finely chopped onions ..garlic ... a bit of chilli ... pepper ..salt ... in olive oil and adding chopped up tinned tomatoes ,,,, red wine and tomato paste .... reduce till you've drunk most of the chuffing wine ......... and it's time to stay away from anything with stylus ...

Spread topping on dough ...... add your main toppings now ... Its a good idea to buy a antipasti meat pack cheap and get a mozzarella ball remember less is better ..... don't add to much as will stop pizza cooking ..... too much moisture now is the enemy .....

Don't be a nob and worry about how round it is ........ shove it in oven at 250 or more if you can .... gaze though glass bit of oven till it's done ...

[/img]

20140802_192415_zps6579bd85.jpg'%20alt='20140802_192415_zps6579bd85.jpg'

JVS

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2009
Ilford, Essex
AKA
Jim
Foil works well too. Also the turned up sides of the foil make great handles to pluck the cooked pizza out of the oven :D

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The amount of dough that the JO recipe makes can be divided into 3 lumps each of which will make 2 good sized pizza's. The dough can be frozen.

There was an interesting thread on PFM a while back where someone had built an outdoor pizza oven. This was ideal for getting up to the kinds of temperatures that are needed to really cook them quickly as you might find in a proper restaurant. A conventional domestic oven generally only gets up to about 250 C.

The problem was the amount of fuel (wood) required to get this oven up to those temperatures meant that it was only really practical to fire it up if you were having a party (bakeoff?) & needed to cook 20-30 pizzas. Time & cost ruled it out as a sensible option for cooking just one or two.

i_should_coco

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
If you have a pyrolytic cleaning oven, just put it in cleaning mode, that should get it hot enough. ***

You might have to disable the safety interlocks.

*** For the stupids amongst us, don't actually do this.

Pete the Feet

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2010
Rochdale, , United K
AKA
Mr Feet
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There was an interesting thread on PFM a while back where someone had built an outdoor pizza oven. This was ideal for getting up to the kinds of temperatures that are needed to really cook them quickly as you might find in a proper restaurant. A conventional domestic oven generally only gets up to about 250 C.

The problem was the amount of fuel (wood) required to get this oven up to those temperatures meant that it was only really practical to fire it up if you were having a party (bakeoff?) & needed to cook 20-30 pizzas. Time & cost ruled it out as a sensible option for cooking just one or two.
A friend of mine used to work at a nearby Italian and the first job in the morning was firing up the wood burning pizza oven. It used to take hours to warm up and be ready for use. The type of wood used was also important, not any old wood.

I must ask him again if he can remember what flour was used for the base, he couldn't remember the last time I asked him.

mnky

Wammer
Wammer
May 3, 2013
oooh arrrrrr
AKA
Mnky
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the tip.For me, I make dough, load it with toppings, then its an arse to get thin base into oven. Your pic shows to put base onto rack before loading with toppings (pic 2).

Cheers!!
No worries ...... make sure the pizza base is floury underneath .... place the rack on top then turn the whole lot over then lift the chopping board slowly up ... the pizza should un peel from the board with a little help .... I've tended to use this method quite a bit and I get a well cooked base ....

B

BD Audio

Have to admit that my effort looked like the cat was sick on it but damn it tasted good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online