I'm Getting Silver's

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
AK do you know what size that Kondo silvers cable is ? I take it that its a single silver cable?

just emailed a chap not the one we talked about
wink.png
asked where Kondo get there cable from
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

just looking at there prices trade :dude:

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Head lampi is ti just a CD or CDP as you mentioned looking for a new CDp.

Guess it will have to wait until the Emotions are upgraded.

How is Franks cable cf. the Kondo .

U

Umberto

Just heard the silvers at Pauls. Awesome, fantastic, amazing..... hear them in a good setup.

Listened to Dali test disc with some amazing acoustic sets. As close to live from a hifi as i have heard. Amazing prescence, attack and speed with almost no harshness at volume. Also listened to Rush and Antonio Forcione. Superb.

I would think that the Sugden setup at the show just would not have shown them at their best. Get a bit of grunt behind them and they sing.

G

Yoda Held Lampi is a cd, collaberation between a chap called augustus held, and bass stick player Jim lampi, got at Naim stall, it's on kingfisher records, superb

Dave Kondo wire is starnded, not sure about 6-8 starnds, ut each starnd is teflon coated, bugger to get off for soldering apparently. (they got it from Kondo direct)

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
C'mon Dave spill the beans.

Trade bulk buy share amongst the Wammers.

Ak how did the 300B compare to you JR.

Would the Art Audio do the trick as it runs out of steam with the Expressions.

G

yoda900 wrote:

Ak how did the 300B compare to you JR.Would the Art Audio do the trick as it runs out of steam with the Expressions.
Ramsay reckoned the JR sounded like a 300b, only with grunt, unfortunately the 300b was broken, RCA loose, will be fixed as soon as ART find a man who can solder.

And yes they agreed that the ART wouild have trouble with expressions, although having heard 300b with them before I reckon you'll get louder than we heard yesterday and no distortion, although the ART diavlo may still struggle with your planned "specials"

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
yoda900 wrote:

C'mon Dave spill the beans.Trade bulk buy share amongst the Wammers.

ok the wire is from this place

http://www.hooverandstrong.com/mill/roundwire_specs.htm

you can get all sort of covering for it for example PTFE Spaghetti Tubing then a nice weave covering

to give you an example of what the cost would be .........................................

Sales are based on weight multiplied by the day's spot market price, plus a percentage to cover their overhead. On a given day, this is generally double the spot price. For example, if today's price of silver is US$6 an ounce, H&S will it sell for about $12 an ounce. So, if you have a run of 10 feet (3 meters) between your amp and your speakers, multiply by four (there's a positive and a negative wire running to each speaker times two speakers) to get a total of 40 feet (13 meters). If one ounce of fine silver bullion yields 7.25 feet (about 2.2 meters) of 16 gauge round wire, divide by 7.25 and you'll need to buy approximately 5.52 ounces of silver in wire form. At $12 an ounce, this comes to $66.24, plus shipping. There's also a nominal handling charge for orders under $100. Remember, the price of silver changes from day to day depending on the world market, so please don't quote my math back to H&S -- this is only an example

so if you really went silly lots of cable costing $200 add $40 for insured delivery add same again for tax thats a total of $480

that £275 for the best you can get its as good as anything if your into pure silver because its just that and a lot less than £3,000 some would have you part with

G

Davewhityetagain wrote:

yoda900 wrote:

you can get all sort of covering for it for example PTFE Spaghetti Tubing then a nice weave covering

to give you an example of what the cost would be .........................................

Sales are based on weight multiplied by the day's spot market price, plus a percentage to cover their overhead. On a given day, this is generally double the spot price. For example, if today's price of silver is US$6 an ounce, H&S will it sell for about $12 an ounce. So, if you have a run of 10 feet (3 meters) between your amp and your speakers, multiply by four (there's a positive and a negative wire running to each speaker times two speakers) to get a total of 40 feet (13 meters). If one ounce of fine silver bullion yields 7.25 feet (about 2.2 meters) of 16 gauge round wire, divide by 7.25 and you'll need to buy approximately 5.52 ounces of silver in wire form. At $12 an ounce, this comes to $66.24, plus shipping. There's also a nominal handling charge for orders under $100. Remember, the price of silver changes from day to day depending on the world market, so please don't quote my math back to H&S -- this is only an example

so if you really went silly lots of cable costing $200 add $40 for insured delivery add same again for tax thats a total of $480

that £275 for the best you can get its as good as anything if your into pure silver because its just that and a lot less than £3,000 some would have you part with
had already been to their site dave, and can be done for a lot less than you quote
biggrin.png

have also sourced a place 20 min from me that does teflon coating (thanks to chezi for that one) watch this space
biggrin.png

BTW for those who don't want to DIY, Franks Bard cable is superb and very good value, compared to what else is around in ready made.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
analoguekid wrote:

Davewhityetagain wrote:
yoda900 wrote:

had already been to their site dave, and can be done for a lot less than you quote
biggrin.png

have also sourced a place 20 min from me that does teflon coating (thanks to chezi for that one) watch this space
biggrin.png

BTW for those who don't want to DIY, Franks Bard cable is superb and very good value, compared to what else is around in ready made.
I wacked the prices up as it changes daily other wise someone would post it cost them more and at them prices could make a monster cable:cool:

G

no Dave I meant I could buy enough wire for around £60, get it coated, and place in tubes etc, total cost around £120

yoda900

Wammer Plus
Sep 20, 2005
Cheshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Is the price merely for uncovered silver wire?

The kondo stuff seems to be bundles of fine silver wire inside a teflon casing x4 for +ve and x4 for -ve all 8 then in side a braided shield which is covered by the outer jacket.

Do these people make it up into a usable form for cable use or is it just the orice for silver wire on a roll such as jewellers use.

What price a made up cable from some cable manufacturer but missing out the fancy lables and middle men if bought in reasonable quantities eg 100m for Wammers to share.

P

purplepleaser

This may be the "Can the wigwam make something" question that was asked the other week

Lee

G

yoda900 wrote:

Is the price merely for uncovered silver wire?The kondo stuff seems to be bundles of fine silver wire inside a teflon casing x4 for +ve and x4 for -ve all 8 then in side a braided shield which is covered by the outer jacket.

Do these people make it up into a usable form for cable use or is it just the orice for silver wire on a roll such as jewellers use.

What price a made up cable from some cable manufacturer but missing out the fancy lables and middle men if bought in reasonable quantities eg 100m for Wammers to share.
yes price for silver jewellrs wire 75m of 0.5mm

will get coated and constructed in similar manner to Kondo, but do that bit myself

G

purplepleaser wrote:

This may be the "Can the wigwam make something" question that was asked the other weekLee
If you guys want to chip I I can get enough to do another pair, and youse can swap them around, let me know

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
SOLID-12.jpg

£12 per stereo meter (£6 per linear meter). Possible discount for bulk??

1.5mm £18 per stereo meter.

Just add heatshrink (and a suitably wanky name of course
wink.png
tongue.png
)

G

yes that looks promising too, but I fancy the teflon coating myself, may get both. BTW was looking at more like 3mm perbinding post, still thats good value at £36, how much for a hundred m?

As for silver emotions, STAGGERING, top end detail opened out, Margaret more surprised than me, only difference is metal, awesome. review to follow

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
when you have finished with them Paul.......? :dude:

E

earl of sodbury

Davewhityetagain wrote:

AK is teflon the best coating ? I heard of a fancy amp made in Japan, that used silk on silver wires
smile.png
Sorry to butt-in, but the theoretically "best" dieletric would be an absolute vacuum; the best practical one is air, though many natural fibres are very good - notably cotton; not great from a fire-saftey POV, mind...

churz, Mister Burns

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online