Most embarrassing mistake made in hifi

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Go on, you love it!
Sometimes I wonder at the craziness of it all, Phil, I really do. Obsessing over tiny details, fretting away that I'm not getting the most out of my system, worrying that it doesn't stand up to comparison with other people's systems (yes I know I shouldn't care less, but I do...). Oh and of course convincing myself that I need to upgrade this, change that, add something else.... I'm my own worst enemy, I don't take my own advice and just enjoy what I have. This morning I'm even thinking about knocking out a wall in the lounge and extending it by 4m! And then worrying about the acoustics. MAKE IT ALL STOP!!!!  :fek: :RIP:

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you have the resources for a 4m extension, good luck to you!

FWIW my gear was respectable in the day it was designed and may be less so now in terms of the figures one might put on paper in a lab report but I like it. The only things I'd change would be the speakers but I'd need a bigger house ... can't afford the one I've got so will have to downsize and after I've done that my existing speakers should be quite sufficient!

Advice: dig the music! My gear gives me the music ...

Viven

Wammer
Mar 22, 2020
Belgium
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Most embarrassing Hi Fi mistake.

Russ Andrews
Hmmm 🤔

I have found the power cables and mains block good value for money. Have used them for nearly 20 years and am very pleased with them. 

Even now with a new Amp /CD ( Denon PMA1600/Denon DCD1600NE) the Russ Andrews cables mains block to my mind make an improvement to sound. 

Probably biggest hifi mistake was waiting nearly 20 years to buy new equipment. Can't belive the difference  :D

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sometimes I wonder at the craziness of it all, Phil, I really do. Obsessing over tiny details, fretting away that I'm not getting the most out of my system, worrying that it doesn't stand up to comparison with other people's systems (yes I know I shouldn't care less, but I do...). Oh and of course convincing myself that I need to upgrade this, change that, add something else.... I'm my own worst enemy, I don't take my own advice and just enjoy what I have. This morning I'm even thinking about knocking out a wall in the lounge and extending it by 4m! And then worrying about the acoustics. MAKE IT ALL STOP!!!!  :fek: :RIP:
This is something that I really don’t understand. It seems like the hifi is more important than the music. Once I have chosen something I just get on with enjoying it. The only reasons why I have been making changes now was firstly to go into streaming and secondly some physical adjustments were required after a house move eg smaller speakers. 

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is something that I really don’t understand. It seems like the hifi is more important than the music. Once I have chosen something I just get on with enjoying it. The only reasons why I have been making changes now was firstly to go into streaming and secondly some physical adjustments were required after a house move eg smaller speakers. 
Enjoying the music is the main driver, believe me, but I struggle to exorcise the demons that tell me my system just isn't good enough. It's plain old paranoia really. I am not interested in buying equipment for the sake of it, although I do admit to enjoying the aesthetics. I suspect that much as I really enjoy the bake-offs, they're fuelling my unease - I hear other systems and think that I'm missing out. It makes me pick holes in what I hear at home, and that sparks the next round...

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Someone buying an LP12 and then realising that they didn't buy it from a 'grand wizard Linn dealer' with 'mystical skills' and that their Linn dealer is just a 'competent Linn dealer'. So being concerned that their £4,000 turntable will never sound as good as one set up by a 'grand wizard dealer' they come to HiFiWigWam to confess their mistake and seek reassurance from a friendly bunch of people.

Sorry just trying to keep the thread going.

Ron Hilditch

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 11, 2017
Suffolk
AKA
Ron Hilditch
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not realising that my Oppo 105EU had digital inputs ( spdif & USB) till a week after deciding to read the manual.  9_9
Please Ian delete the post!  Being male you're not allowed.  I read the instruction manual last week for my coffee machine and discovered a part in the milk pot, I didn't know needed cleaning.  Took it out and found 3 years worth of congealed milk inside.  Two days later the milk pot mechanism broke.  Had to buy a new one today.  See!  He who must be obeyed is watching!  

Last edited by a moderator:

TheFlash

Also available in pink
Wammer
Jun 22, 2013
Rural Leics [system 1] & Kendal [systems 2 & 3]
AKA
Nigel
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are you talking about MISSION 762 MODEL? 
Special shout out for @Dylan pinet whose most embarrassing hifi mistake, as @radiant red has highlighted, might be replying to a hifi thread a record-breaking 13 years since the last correspondent! No idea how you found it, unless you were googling "embarrassing hifi"...

Given the demographic here, I'm just going to scroll back to the start of the thread to check on how many earlier correspondents have died.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Haha
Reactions: newlash09

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Special shout out for @Dylan pinet whose most embarrassing hifi mistake, as @radiant red has highlighted, might be replying to a hifi thread a record-breaking 13 years since the last correspondent! No idea how you found it, unless you were googling "embarrassing hifi"...

Given the demographic here, I'm just going to scroll back to the start of the thread to check on how many earlier correspondents have died.
Don't know if he has died but at the beginning of the thread someone called Jampal got something stuck in a CDP at a trade show.  Maybe not a true story but who knows?

wizmax

"Inestimable" Reel to Reel expert
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2010
Hayling Island
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don't know if he has died but at the beginning of the thread someone called Jampal got something stuck in a CDP at a trade show.  Maybe not a true story but who knows?
For all you newbies, Jampal , better known as James Palmer, was the originator and first owner of the Wam and we all have him to thank for this wonderful place and he is very much alive but not active on here any more. 

A.S.

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 1, 2014
Hertfordshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Visiting a dealer in Long Eaton and being told repeatedly by the dealer that all the components I could afford and stretch to buy from him would be “prosaic” but allow me to work my way up to the good stuff (costing six figures). 

• Haha
Reactions: newlash09

PuritéAudio

Legend Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 10, 2016
London
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Visiting a dealer in Long Eaton and being told repeatedly by the dealer that all the components I could afford and stretch to buy from him would be “prosaic” but allow me to work my way up to the good stuff (costing six figures). 
Scrumptious .

Keith

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Should have stuck with digital :D