Music library backups - Amazon Glacier ?

Tw99

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 15, 2012
The Home Counties
I've got a reasonable on-site backup strategy for my music/photo libraries, but have been thinking about offsite for disaster recovery purposes.

I don't want to use physical media, as I'll forget, or not do it often enough, so thinking about cloud solutions. Glacier looks very attractive for long-term storage price (albeit restores are costly, I'm hoping never to have to do one).

I just wondered about the practicalities of using it on a Windows 8 client - does anyone have any experiences they'd like to share?

C

chris217

I have experience of using this on my Synology NAS, where is "just works". Of note is that changing from S3 to Glacier dropped my monthly bill from around £10 to around £1.

The other general thing to note is that the initial backup can take a very long time (days) because most domestic uplinks are very slow. Whilst my downlink frequently runs at over 60mbps, the uplink struggles to maintain 6mbps. My uplink was reduced to a crawl for a couple of days whilst this was going on.

browellm

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2008
1TB? It would take you 12 months to upload it.
I was talking hypothetically, in order to make sure I had the pricing correct. And I have 12Mb/s upload speed = 1.5MB/s :p

Tw99

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 15, 2012
The Home Counties
I took the plunge and signed up for it. Using the free version of the FastGlacier client on Windows, I uploaded about 120G of photos in about 16 hours (on infinity, so decent upload speeds). It would have been a bit faster if I'd shelled out for the Pro version that allows more parallel connections. Just the music library to upload now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.