CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Spring KTE.......100% (95%)
Primaluna.........85% (95%) would have stayed in the rack if i was not worried about the usb timing issue an triode lifetime (5y they say) an once it died who can replace that?) sound was slightly less coloured as the an a little bas shy maybe (but speakers waren't on the spikes yet 🤔)
Moon..................75% (85%) considering his price point
D2........................65% (75%) (as it's so expensive and a bit analytical) true but sound wize I'm tempted to say 95% the way it excel's in the other area's, but it's als a question of taste an in the long run I prefer the sound slightly more warm an human.
It does no harm listing your preferences in this way, as it makes you think about the mix of attributes each DAC has eg. Performance; Musicality; Price; Looks; Build quality; Facilities/Options; Connectivity; Running cost (Valves/Power usage) etc

Your current front runner is always 100% - and then the competition is a percentage of that (depending how close they get). If you get a new favourite, it then it goes to 100%.

Last edited:

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
It does no harm listing your preferences in this way, as it makes you think about the mix of attributes each DAC has eg. Performance; Musicality; Price; Looks; Build quality; Facilities/Options; Connectivity; Running cost (Valves/Power usage) etc

Your current front runner is always 100% - and then the competition is a percentage of that (depending how close they get). If you get a new favourite, it then it goes to 100%.
I put it like that because you mentioned the price reason on the D2 (an you're right)
For the moment I don't really gave a favored but if I would have to decide tonight
provably
spring
PL
Moon (stay)
D2

an that would be the reason talking considering the aspects you are mentioning

sound wise it's a question of taste an they are totally different
Pl
Spring (slightly to bassy, whiteout the spikes otherwise it moves up I think)
D,2 (nr 1 in a lot of areas but tiering in the long run, to perfect)
Moon

I'm hesitant on the second because there sound is so different

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
sound wise it's a question of taste an they are totally different
Pl
Spring (slightly to bassy, whiteout the spikes otherwise it moves up I think)
D,2 (nr 1 in a lot of areas but tiering in the long run, to perfect)
Moon

I'm hesitant on the second because there sound is so different
That's why it is so difficult - but you do need some way of coming to a decision, if there isn't a very clear winner.

If your favourite is unaffordable - you then need to try and get 80 - 85% of its performance for 60% of the cost.

Once you add @tuga 's DAC, you have a very nice selection of "more" affordable options, as in:

Valve DACs
NOS DACs
Deta Sigma DACs
Streamer/DAC (Linn)

This covers all your bases.

Last edited:

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
That's why it is so difficult - but you do need some way of coming to a decision, if there isn't a very clear winner.

If your favourite is unaffordable - you then need to try and get 80 - 85% of its performance for 60% of the cost.
Let's just say if I tought d-2 & puls was perfect for my taste I could afford it.
Does that mean I absolutely want to spend that kind of money no ...
Everything Depends on what I encounter the next few month's

Spring - pulse is the best combo for the price (an soundwize for my, taste altrough still something missing) at this point if I get a mail from PL they resolved the tech issue (he promised he contact me if he did) that would be serious competition

Next move is the 7 juin going to Holand comparing the May an the spring just to have some idea

I also contacted a dealer in Brussels to get a demo of T&A200 dac + Pulse (don't know when yet he call me back tomorrow)

I mean if one of those scotch me to the wall we might have a clear winner an considerably cheaper than the D2

also aqua scala but only dealer who stock theme for demo is not on my best side...

If not ....

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Spring - pulse is the best combo for the price (an soundwize for my, taste altrough still something missing) at this point if I get a mail from PL they resolved the tech issue (he promised he contact me if he did) that would be serious competition
That "something" could be provided by one or more of the following:
- The upgrade of the Amp
- Having the spikes under the speakers
- Upgrading to the May
- Acoustically treating the room
- One of the other options including the PL (which is frustratingly close to providing what you want)

whitehart

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 18, 2011
East Sussex
www.realmusicnet.wordpress.com
AKA
Mac
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Was the one you tried the Mk11 "Optologic" version, which is supposed to be an improvement over the previous Mk 11.
To be fair, no it was the Aqua La Voce S3 Discrete DAC, even tried changing out the valve and the build quality put me off.
One thing for Roby to consider on the MKII is that it doesn't have a visual display.
Mac

Reactions: CnoEvil

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To be fair, no it was the Aqua La Voce S3 Discrete DAC, even tried changing out the valve and the build quality put me off.
One thing for Roby to consider on the MKII is that it doesn't have a visual display.
Mac
I think the La Voce is half the price of the La Scala (and from what I can tell, the S3 doesn't have valves - but could be wrong). The potential build quality issue is worrying.

Last edited:

ChemMan

ChemMan
Wammer
Aug 8, 2018
Brussels
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
And then there is the dCS Bartok. The model previous to the new APEX.

Pretty much the Holy Grail of the digital goodness. I heard it, but never considered it because it was 13K. I recently saw one on Audiomarkt for about 10K sans headphone amp.

Reactions: JustinTime

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Mac

I m looking for the scala it only have little dots to show the sample rate

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I think the La Voce is half the price of the La Scala (and from what I can tell, the S3 doesn't have valves - but could be wrong). The potential build quality issue is worrying.
Yes but apparently they don’t make theme anymore

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Mac
What was the problem? What didn’t you like?

Roby79

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2023
Zaventem
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
And then there is the dCS Bartok. The model previous to the new APEX.

Pretty much the Holy Grail of the digital goodness. I heard it, but never considered it because it was 13K. I recently saw one on Audiomarkt for about 10K sans headphone amp.
😳I thought 21k I looked at more music it’s the Dutch import

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Dealer told me it used to be 3.7k
An he had 1 in stock
He was supposed to call me back I called 3 times
An each time he said I call you he never did
He sounds like a chancer.

I don't think it has been discontinued, unless their own website is wrong.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online