Sub bass & bass Speakers with 18" Volt RV4564 drivers

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With a 25Hz tone through the driver I can feel air escaping through a couple of panel gaps ….these will be filled/sealed as I now have time before March 22.  

I wasn’t suggesting that a pressure test could replace any other testing …..it was just out of my image curiosity to see how much pressure was created inside the cabinet to generate the air escaping from orifices other than the port - they must have detrimental effect.
I was suggesting using a microphone to measure the pressure inside the speaker cabinet, by actually putting it inside the speaker. Although you might find the pressure levels exceed the maximum the micophone can be used for.

Last edited by a moderator:

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With a 25Hz tone through the driver I can feel air escaping through a couple of panel gaps ….
Oh, and at the risk of pointing out the obvious, be very cautious about playing about with tones at this sort of frequency as it's a good way to burn out a driver if you're not careful. 

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Julian - Bigrod gave me some great advice on finishes for the yellow balau, using tung oil so this weekend I decided to start on the hopefully final surface finish.  As you may recall it’s a tropical hardwood vv dense (30% more than Russian birch ply) with a very tight grain structure.

Trying to produce each panel from 140mm planks with biscuit joints etc was a challenge and the wood has ‘moved’/ cupped so I found a vintage Wolf belt sander off eBay than had the grunt to attack this wood.  

Two hours of sanding with 80 and 120 grit belts gave me a good flat surface and then as recommended by Julian, I hand sanded it down to 400 grit then a tack rag (to remove all the dust), wipe down with white spirit, then using a lint free cloth applied a 50/50 mix of pure tung oil & white spirit.

Wow the grain really stands out now …but this morning I flatted it off again and applied a 75/25 mix.  I’ll let this harden off for two weeks (mainly as I’m away with work next weekend) then it’s two more coats of 100% pure tung oil.

8BCBB19A-AA85-42F2-BDB9-E6FBDB64C5D2.jpeg

AC1CC12D-5587-45A3-8EBD-E7A340D64101.jpeg

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Julian - Bigrod gave me some great advice on finishes for the yellow balau, using tung oil so this weekend I decided to start on the hopefully final surface finish.  As you may recall it’s a tropical hardwood vv dense (30% more than Russian birch ply) with a very tight grain structure.

Trying to produce each panel from 140mm planks with biscuit joints etc was a challenge and the wood has ‘moved’/ cupped so I found a vintage Wolf belt sander off eBay than had the grunt to attack this wood.  

Two hours of sanding with 80 and 120 grit belts gave me a good flat surface and then as recommended by Julian, I hand sanded it down to 400 grit then a tack rag (to remove all the dust), wipe down with white spirit, then using a lint free cloth applied a 50/50 mix of pure tung oil & white spirit.

Wow the grain really stands out now …but this morning I flatted it off again and applied a 75/25 mix.  I’ll let this harden off for two weeks (mainly as I’m away with work next weekend) then it’s two more coats of 100% pure tung oil.

20221119_183620.jpg

20221119_182728.jpg
Looking very nice

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At a standstill at the mo as I’m on an extended work away from home schedule inc away this weekend so nothing will change till the beginning of November 

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just noticed I’ve hit 25k views …..amazed at the interest in this thread ….thanks one & all
To be fair, 24,500 of them have probably a been from me checking back in regularly to see if you have uploaded the long promised video of the bass ports blowing out a candle half way across the floor.

Still waiting patiently by the way...

😉

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Big ports do not make good candle snuffing systems.

In the mean time I took delivery of some 0000 grade wire wool to see how a real burnished finished would look on the Balau.  So this afternoon I smoothed off a 50mm strip off the top of the cabinet with the 0000 wool - wow ultra smooth now and then a quick wipe over with some danish oil and it’s silky smooth and ready for some high quality wax.  
lots of use of wire wool planned for this weekend I think 😀

Bokke

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Big ports do not make good candle snuffing systems.

In the mean time I took delivery of some 0000 grade wire wool to see how a real burnished finished would look on the Balau.  So this afternoon I smoothed off a 50mm strip off the top of the cabinet with the 0000 wool - wow ultra smooth now and then a quick wipe over with some danish oil and it’s silky smooth and ready for some high quality wax.  
lots of use of wire wool planned for this weekend I think 😀
Ive used the wire wool when restoring an antique pine chest of draws 

Works very well 

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I still have the cladding to do on the LHS monitor and was nit looking fwd to more routing to clean off the rounded edges of the decking.

I took a plunge on eBay on a ‘vintage’ deWalt radial arm saw that was within reasonable distance to collect - bulky & heavy etc.

After a 4 hr round trip yesterday in Janes van I set it up this morning for a test run.  

909F1D91-9C15-41F0-8E7C-CCE26822B160.jpeg

The guy who had it had built a heavy duty stand for it, complete with retractable wheels and a side roller support for longer lengths etc 😁

A quick test on an off cut and a good square cut edge removing the rounded edges was achieved in a 1/10 of the time it took to route and table sand to get a good edge 😁😁😁😁😁😁😁😁

This balau wood I’d very hard/dense but is now no match for a 1.5 HP saw …..wish I’d had it at the start of this journey.

If I’ve got some balau left after completing the monitor I feel some very nice isolation platforms being made.

newlash09

Iam deaf at the ears, but way more dumb in between
Wammer
Aug 10, 2018
India
AKA
Y.Manohar / mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just noticed I’ve hit 25k views …..amazed at the interest in this thread ….thanks one & all
This is the only build thread, that I've ever thoroughly followed through all 44 pages and still counting till Kegworth or the newer venue :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles