The Great Cable Debate - Why Do People Get So Worked Up?

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Richard, you could have framed your opinion a little less confrontationally. This seems to be exactly the attitude the OP was referring to. I am surprised.

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think people have diametrically opposed opinions if a cable (speaker/interconnect/mains or fuses) can alter the 'sound' then they are considered heretics or prophets, there are apostles in both camps that will fight to raise their flags on the battle field.
Passions run high because when faith fights with science where does one side with?

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Richard, you could have framed your opinion a little less confrontationally. This seems to be exactly the attitude the OP was referring to. I am surprised.
That's not confrontational, it's truth.

I deliberately avoid the cable debate issue. I merely object to the abuse of the English language and any sense of logic.

Reactions: robin and Tony_J

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

That's not confrontational, it's truth.

I deliberately avoid the cable debate issue. I merely object to the abuse of the English language and any sense of logic.

I certainly think that @rabski has a valid point about the constant use of hyperbole. If a cable is giving a reported 'night and day' difference how would the substituting into a system of a significantly better amp or speakers or front end be described?

• Upvote
Reactions: Strider and Tony_J

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try it with oxygen-free copper. It should soften it a little :)
I never hear cables, I hear the source through my components and it sounds even better in the evenings with less outside noise.

JustinTime

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jan 18, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think it’s simply boils down to the fact that anyone who has spent money on something invariably gets the hump if anyone suggests it’s a waste of money. I believe it’s that simple.
And vice versa of course. People who haven’t spent money on something can get the hump when others have!

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If a cable is giving a reported 'night and day' difference how would the substituting into a system of a significantly better amp or speakers or front end be described?
I hate to think.

If different cables make a 'night and day change', better have a team of paramedics and the editing board of the Oxford English Dictionary on hand in the event of listening to some Vox Olympians.

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would like to hear from people as to WHY they start telling other people what they think and that they're wrong. So if you've directly told people one way or the other then I'm genuinly interested in why you do it.
These forums are about sharing experiences etc. I have heard differences between speaker cables, and that first experience was pretty obvious, I then repeated it on 2 friends systems, which were similar (SE tube amp) but very different.
The type of cable is satisfactory, and have been using it or slight variants for over 25 years, so I don't really think about it anymore. Took me about 10 years of audio tinkering not hearing any difference to get to that point.
If the topic comes up and people are saying its BS, I feel compelled (if I can be bothered) to relate my experience. Cause it is a thing.

• Upvote
Reactions: Nativebon

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would like to hear from people as to WHY they start telling other people what they think and that they're wrong. So if you've directly told people one way or the other then I'm genuinly interested in why you do it.
Are you related to Sigmund?

Very few members will reply to your questions directly and this thread will veer off in all directions, rather like a cable loom.

Reactions: Tony_J and Strider

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
and-thats-how-the-fight-started

The_Krell

Wammer
Sep 13, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Are you related to Sigmund?

Very few members will reply to your questions directly and this thread will veer off in all directions, rather like a cable loom.
Well I naively hoped that that someone would actually try and justify their antipathy toward their fellow people...

Seems you are precient - or just worldly wise - with the latter.

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If a cable is giving a reported 'night and day' difference how would the substituting into a system of a significantly better amp or speakers or front end be described?
Speaking for myself, I suspect it is because it is still a bit of a surprise to hear any difference at all. I actually don't want to care and don't want to know, but having heard it, it is another part of the jigsaw puzzle, one of those things that everything's better when it's taken care of.

Mains cables, I refuse to even think about, though I suspect there is something going on.

Reactions: MotherSky

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online