Wammers' Album Club 2019 #7 - Sarathy Korwar & Upaj Collective - My East is Your West

Rate this album if you wish

• Outstanding, will buy

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Very Good, will listen often

• OK, may listen again

• Not really for me, but I listened through

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Awful, turned off quickly

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

occasional thinker

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 11, 2009
Steel City
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sarathy Korwar is a percussionist who is making a name for himself around the London jazz scene. Trained in India and London, he has three albums to his name. This is the second, recorded live at the Church of Sound On February 1st 2018, and released in November 2018. I wish I had been at that concert!

He is joined by a jazz quintet and five classical Indian musicians to play spiritual jazz pieces from the likes of Pharoah Sanders, John McLaughlin and Alice Coltrane. The western and eastern influences seem to blend seamlessly in the ebb and flow of the music. Not one to listen to when you are rushing around, but a late-night delight to sink into.

Here is a link to the Bandcamp page, from which you can play the album and buy a 3 LP set, a 2 CD set or a download.

https://sarathykorwar.bandcamp.com/album/my-east-is-your-west

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Idlewithnodrive

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've given this a go and I'm finding it hard to relate to , I like some Indian music occasionally and this started off well but got a bit muddled later when it went jazzy ? I need more time I think .

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I listened to it whilst writing a report. Great background music, however not really for me. 

2/5 for this one, but thanks for recommending. 

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is quite an interesting album I think. The reverse of Bazzer, when it went 'jazzy' the album kicked in for me. I don't know whether it will get a regular outing but I've saved it on my phone so I can listen in the car. Nice original choice.

Idlewithnodrive

You should hear our version of Louie Louie
Wammer Plus
May 7, 2018
Virtually, everywhere
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Love this Album.

I have it on vinyl and it gets a fair few outings.

Brilliant Indian / Jazz fusion, as they say, East meets West. Great musicians, well played / recorded and different enough to stay interesting.

7.5 / 10 from me.

ian917

Status Unknown
Wammer
Aug 4, 2018
North Warwickshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I couldn't listen to it all the way through in one go in either listening session. I actually quite enjoyed it but it was just too long (100+ minutes). 3/5

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.