Who buys this kinda thing. Example of hifi gone nuts?

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
By the way, you linked to the mains cable twice. I'd love to see the speaker cable because I may ask if I can pay in instalments.

These items should not be grouped with the usual hifi gear. I'm sure Nordost do not claim it is thousands of times better. Products like these sell to extremely wealthy people who buy bespoke Bentleys and do not blink at spending £20k on an evening meal with friends. It is bling and something else to show off. 

Reactions: alboy1975

Beobloke

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
AKA
Adam
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Why on earth start yet another one of these utterly pointless threads? What possible use do they serve? I can’t afford to buy a Bugatti car and neither do I particularly want one, but it doesn’t bother me in the slightest that such cars exist. And neither do I care in the slightest about these cables.
The crucial difference is that the Bugatti will be faster and handle better than the car you have now.

The posh mains lead, however, will bring no improvements over the mains lead you have now.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The crucial difference is that the Bugatti will be faster and handle better than the car you have now.

The posh mains lead, however, will bring no improvements over the mains lead you have now.
The Bugatti will probably go up in value also, unlike these cables, which will probably loose half their value, as soon as you have paid for them, also very difficult to sell used, unlike a Bugatti.

Last edited by a moderator:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jeez. If only we'd had a thread about over-priced exotic cables before, then things would have been much easier.

Anyway. Are they worth it? No idea. Not in my opinion, but then 'worth' is meaningless in the context of the seriously high-end market. Will they make a difference? Compared with what? Simple fact is that it's impossible for any cable to add anything electrically, so the best a cable can do is to take less away. From my experience, I suggest you can reach the dizzy heights of performance at which no difference is audible by spending under £100. Possibly substantially less. Do I know any of this for certain? Well, I can take a very good stab at it, but if you're asking me whether I've 'heard' a £30,000 mains cable, then no. I haven't. I could possibly wrangle a review item, but it's unlikely. It's mostly unlikely, because I couldn't write a review in sincerity anyway.

And the big question: do I care? Not in the slightest. My 'give a s**t' factor is as close to zero as it's possible to get. The positive I can see is that if anyone buys some, the dealer is likely to make a few quid and that may help them stay in business. As it's Analogue Seduction and from one or two dealings in the past, they seem to be among the good people, that's a plus point. Also, it means they may have a bit more in the pot to do a decent part-ex deal on something one of us buys, so that's a win-win.

I'm seriously not in the least 'troubled' by all the uber-high-end stuff. I'm not ever going to buy any of it, so why would I care? It's easy to get wound up by the inequity of a society where such potential purchases exist, but that's the world we live in. Screaming about the goods for sale at that end of the market is never going to change it. As for the sort of person who can afford to drop £30k on a mains wire, we're talking about people to whom £30k is pocket money, so they won't care either.

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I obviously haven't heard these but have heard Nordost cables and to be honest they were dreadful, in that system at that time in that room.

Easily bettered for heaps less £££££££.  

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What Rabski said  :^

There are aspects of the dodgy marketing used to sell this kind of high end stuff that make my piss boil, but as the saying goes, caveat emptor. 

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jeez. If only we'd had a thread about over-priced exotic cables before, then things would have been much easier.

Anyway. Are they worth it? No idea. Not in my opinion, but then 'worth' is meaningless in the context of the seriously high-end market. Will they make a difference? Compared with what? Simple fact is that it's impossible for any cable to add anything electrically, so the best a cable can do is to take less away. From my experience, I suggest you can reach the dizzy heights of performance at which no difference is audible by spending under £100. Possibly substantially less. Do I know any of this for certain? Well, I can take a very good stab at it, but if you're asking me whether I've 'heard' a £30,000 mains cable, then no. I haven't. I could possibly wrangle a review item, but it's unlikely. It's mostly unlikely, because I couldn't write a review in sincerity anyway.

And the big question: do I care? Not in the slightest. My 'give a s**t' factor is as close to zero as it's possible to get. The positive I can see is that if anyone buys some, the dealer is likely to make a few quid and that may help them stay in business. As it's Analogue Seduction and from one or two dealings in the past, they seem to be among the good people, that's a plus point. Also, it means they may have a bit more in the pot to do a decent part-ex deal on something one of us buys, so that's a win-win.

I'm seriously not in the least 'troubled' by all the uber-high-end stuff. I'm not ever going to buy any of it, so why would I care? It's easy to get wound up by the inequity of a society where such potential purchases exist, but that's the world we live in. Screaming about the goods for sale at that end of the market is never going to change it. As for the sort of person who can afford to drop £30k on a mains wire, we're talking about people to whom £30k is pocket money, so they won't care either.
They are the people who get 20 parking tickets a week in London

Minicoupeman

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 21, 2015
Sittingbourne
AKA
Andy Andrews
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is ‘fun’ to have stupidly priced Hi Fi stuff available.  Years ago, as a flat earther  (Linn/Naim system) I went to Hi Fi shows and came away thinking that I heard nothing better than I had at home. Well, almost. (Apogee speakers with Krell amps were something else) But over the last 8 to 10 years the SQ heard/displayed in some/many HiFi demo rooms has be exceptional as has the price of the kit. The cables used often exceed the total cost of my gear and whether the cables made a difference is immaterial.  The overall result was fabulous. If you could afford this stuff and you brought it….we’re else could you go?  Upgrading is fun.  Fancy stuff enhances this fun😀

• Upvote
Reactions: alboy1975 and MVJ

Nifkin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2019
Highgate London
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Even using the argument that these power cables and speaker jumpers etc represent the height of 'hifi jewelry' doesn't even cut it when you consider that such cables are meant to be around the back of your kit, out of sight! You'd easily forget they're there. If you really must have your cables on display then wrap them in a bit of tinsel and some mini LED lights instead for less....

• Haha

Andrew_C

Wammer
Feb 3, 2021
London/France
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It is ‘fun’ to have stupidly priced Hi Fi stuff available.  Years ago, as a flat earther  (Linn/Naim system) I went to Hi Fi shows and came away thinking that I heard nothing better than I had at home. Well, almost. (Apogee speakers with Krell amps were something else) But over the last 8 to 10 years the SQ heard/displayed in some/many HiFi demo rooms has be exceptional as has the price of the kit. The cables used often exceed the total cost of my gear and whether the cables made a difference is immaterial.  The overall result was fabulous. If you could afford this stuff and you brought it….we’re else could you go?  Upgrading is fun.  Fancy stuff enhances this fun😀
I don’t see any fun in being ripped off.

Reactions: lindsayt

savvypaul

NVA Hi-Fi
HiFi Trade
Jan 11, 2017
Durham Uk
nvahifi.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Did you suddenly wake up one day and find a £35k mains lead in your system, and your bank balance was £35k light? Do you worry it could happen without your permission?

If someone buys a mains lead for that money, and they get the mains lead, they have not been ripped off. The world is full of people with differing outlooks, differing values, differing aspirations and differing bank balances. Not everything is aimed at you. Shocking, I know. 

I think it's perfectly sensible to spend £800 on a secondhand DAC but my neighbour looks at me like I'm an alien species. I think I got a good deal, he thinks I should be sectioned. We chuckle and have a beer. Neither of us are tedious about it.

The problem with anger about what other people spend is that it starts to look a lot like envy. 

It Cost How Much!?!

Twisted
Wammer
Oct 27, 2008
Hartford, Cheshire
AKA
Bob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't consider myself ripped off with the cables I use, mostly Transparent Audio Reference or Cardas. One of the biggest upgrades I got was using an improved interconnect (balanced Transparent Reference over Townshend Cryo balanced). 

Each to their own, not worth spending high on cables unless your system can show the differences.

My old PMC AB2 were highly cable sensitive,  but the B&W 801F that followed were not.

For completion, I use Audio Works mains cables and mains distribution blocks, the older grey value for money ones, I have some super expensive ones, but they stay in a draw as I can not tell the difference. May sell them one day. 

Reactions: robin and Ady

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did you suddenly wake up one day and find a £35k mains lead in your system, and your bank balance was £35k light? Do you worry it could happen without your permission?

If someone buys a mains lead for that money, and they get the mains lead, they have not been ripped off. The world is full of people with differing outlooks, differing values, differing aspirations and differing bank balances. Not everything is aimed at you. Shocking, I know. 

I think it's perfectly sensible to spend £800 on a secondhand DAC but my neighbour looks at me like I'm an alien species. I think I got a good deal, he thinks I should be sectioned. We chuckle and have a beer. Neither of us are tedious about it.

The problem with anger about what other people spend is that it starts to look a lot like envy. 
Exactly this.

My neighbour has a nearly new Aston Martin. I think he is mad to have bought it. I have a cartridge that retailed for about £1500. He thinks I am mad to have bought it, etc. etc.

The crucial thing is 'choice'. If you want to get all het up about something, start with the cost of electricity, gas, water, etc. where 'choice' is either limited or impossible.

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For me it is all about the person & degree of sincerity when they are selling something. I would encourage all folks to enjoy their individual pursuits but also encourage a sense of humour. This is difficult in hifi because so many people think all is black & white & pin their colours to a particular mast. I think it's fair game to laugh however, when I see a flight case that an explorer would have used on a 5year trip...only containing 2 x 2m spkr cables ?

I send myself up, and just about practically anything really (not good on a hifi forum) & know when folks are putting me in a box to make sense of their own beliefs. When folks just perpetuate a meaningless argument it makes me want to sell my hifi gear. This happens more on cable threads. 

If more respect was shown between folk then our tolerance would allow humour & a difference of opinion. It's only bl**dy hifi, however much we choose to spend. :)

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The poorer you are the less choice you have .. I would say most Wammer’s are very lucky to be able to afford to indulge in what is not a mainstream activity . And some probably have kit costing more than most peoples cars on the drive …. Like Richard says my friends thought I was mad having a bespoke piece of furniture handcrafted just to house a few electronics when I could have brought a decent rack off the shelf so to speak .. That’s why I’ve never had a Porsche on my drive ..

We spend our money on what gives us pleasure..The worse off in scociety do not have that choice ..
We may find it obscene that people can spend huge amounts on Esoterica,… but go down the scale from ourselves and many would consider us  as obscene..

Bazzer

Staff member
Oct 22, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The car on the drive I can see , the watch on the wrist I look at , the handcrafted piece of furniture gives pleasure in use , the £kkkk cable shoved behind the sideboard , tucked under carpet  :nup:

• Upvote
Reactions: Nifkin and Tony_J

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online