using a biwire cable in a singlewire configuration?

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
doing a spot of cable tinkering tonite
smile.png

I was biwiring a new pair of standmounts using Chord Carnival Silver Plus (biwire form). However it was too bright so I put back the jumpers and singlewired. Perfection! Now, instead of tearing apart the Chord biwire cable, which would be a pity, I linked the two "+"s and two "-"s wires together and used them like a single-wire run. So far everything's running fine. Can I have some assurance this is electrically okay?

SS...... Elec dummy

G

i have done the same, bi wire cable singled up and it works fine(i'm not convinced by all this bi-wire thing my self)

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rudolph my $0.02 is that biwiring's efficacy varies from speaker to speaker. It made a noticeable difference to my Epos M5 speakers - more clarity and dynamics. With the new speeks the treble became too spiky. Now in singlewired form the speakers retain the midband clarity but lose that peakiness on treble. The effect is different.

G

solidstateman wrote:

doing a spot of cable tinkering tonite
smile.png
I was biwiring a new pair of standmounts using Chord Carnival Silver Plus (biwire form). However it was too bright so I put back the jumpers and singlewired. Perfection! Now, instead of tearing apart the Chord biwire cable, which would be a pity, I linked the two "+"s and two "-"s wires together and used them like a single-wire run. So far everything's running fine. Can I have some assurance this is electrically okay?

SS...... Elec dummy
called shotgunned cable, some of us prefer it this way, last cable and new cable both run in this configuration, safe as houses and a lot more effective than bi wiring IMHO

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks AK. I can leave my amp on 24/7 with total peace of mind now.
biggrin.png

I was also wondering if the doubled wire gauge offers a slight improvement over a real singlewire run. From what you said, I infer that it does.

SS

E

earl of sodbury

Would the new speaks referred to be something from Monitor Audio's Radius range, perchance?
biggrin.png

Ya big speakerslut!
bek070.gif

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not Radius, although there is a real danger that a pair of rosemah R90s will be mine soon.
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

The new speakers are nothing fancy, Affordable and certainly not of the esoteric Art class. But I'm really enjoying them. Might be the start of a personal collection of classy small standmounts. Cheaper than collecting timepieces!
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

Upcoming review in my blog.
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

E

earl of sodbury

Ahhh...

Forget the R90s - that bass rolloff will drive you nuts, you'll either have to buy a sub, or just go back and buy the even lovelier expanse of glossy rosemah that is the R270 - save yourself some time and trouble and get the R270s straight-off- it's only money
wink.png

churz, eofs

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
evil!:Upset:

btw I saw your GerBils in the flesh when I shopped for my speakers. They looked less imposing and hulking than I'd imagined. Rather striking actually. :^There was also a good-looking PMC standmount in there too, but I daren't enquire about its price.:Not Sure:

E

earl of sodbury

The Giblets are pretty small, but very punchy, the standmount DB1+ is basically an amputated GB1, and sounds great, bass not so deep, but tighter, probably due to the shorter TL - £650 new here in Gibletland.

But wriggle all you like, this is what you want:

R270rosetopangledownsmall.gif
"Buy Me Solid..."
pray.gif.84955f3b1709939cd9186fd2e3d88a8e.gif

Even comes with both silver and black grille covers...

"You knows you wants it!"

:^eofs

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

"Buy Me Solid..."
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif

At the rate you're pricking me over the R270 I'd better exile myself from here for a while. My wallet's health is in danger.
tongue.png

E

earl of sodbury

solidstateman wrote:

earl of sodbury wrote:
"Buy Me Solid..."
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif

At the rate you're pricking me over the R270 I'd better exile myself from here for a while. My wallet's health is in danger.
tongue.png
Now don't take-on so, just trying to save you money in the long-run - you already know you're going to buy them, it's just a matter of when.

And who needs food? - there's some good stuff to be found in supermarket bins...
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao: :raoflmfao: :raoflmfao:

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

you already know you're going to buy them, it's just a matter of when.
:shock:scary - that someone on the other side of the world can read my mind. Must be the MF connection.
tongue.png

You are right. The excellent Radius finish and slim dimensions are the major selling points for moi. I only just lost the Epos M22s, and maybe soon the M5s, so new speakers with excellent veneers are on my mind. There was nothing wrong soundwise with the Epi but doubts had arisen over their made-in-China wood veneers.:nup:I shan't say more for now lest the new owner is also lurking here.
47_47.gif.482d183844f69ef6dec537ae753f214d.gif

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
earl of sodbury wrote:

solidstateman wrote:
earl of sodbury wrote:
"Buy Me Solid..."
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif
icon_mad.gif

tongue.png
Now don't take-on so, just trying to save you money in the long-run - you already know you're going to buy them, it's just a matter of when.

And who needs food? - there's some good stuff to be found in supermarket bins...
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao: :raoflmfao: :raoflmfao:
I have never seen a more appropriate pair of speakers for you Solid. Perfect. Oh you must buy them.. you really must.

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
So far everything's running fine. Can I have some assurance this is electrically okay?
Absolutely fine solid. By doing this you halve the ‘speaker cable resistance (more or less) by effectively doubling the total cross-section of each conductor.

supercapman

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Bath, , United Kingd
AKA
Chris
mosfet wrote:

So far everything's running fine. Can I have some assurance this is electrically okay?
Absolutely fine solid. By doing this you halve the ‘speaker cable resistance (more or less) by effectively doubling the total cross-section of each conductor.
I'm not technically minded, but what does halving the resistance do to the sound? Does this count for all speaker cables if you double up? can you quad or am I being silly?

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
mosfet wrote:

Thanks Mos Fett.:DA few hours down this cableconfiguration and the new speakers are opening up very nicely. I will be "shotgunning" from now on.
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

mosfet

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Richard
I'm not technically minded, but what does halving the resistance do to the sound?
Objectively, if anything, changes in ‘speaker cable resistance will impart upon the bass response of a loudspeaker. This is because loudspeakers are dynamic; their resistance (or more correctly impedance) changes with frequency and this happens most notably at low frequencies.

Subjectively whatever you hear. Remember an actual change in frequency response at low frequencies is not necessarily subjectively interpreted as such.

This article by B&W explains further

http://www.bwspeakers.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/local.faq/ObjectID/F5CA2780-3D20-11D4-A67F00D0B7473B37

Does this count for all speaker cables if you double up? can you quad or am I being silly?
Yes. Every doubling of cross section results in an approximate halving of resistance for the same given length of conductor. You can if you wish construct a loudspeaker cable as thick as an elephant’s leg – experiment by all means!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.