Linn Owners

What’s is the best order for LP12 upgrades?

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I just bought my LP12 : Majik Krane MC + Trampolin + Lingo4

So it's normally a bit early to think about future upgrades. But I'm thinking about it because it's fun.

According to well-established recommendation, the best order is: bearing, power supply, sub chassis, arm, cart

In my case what would be the best upgrade?
- install Kore or Keel
- Replace Lingo4 with Radikal

Many congrats on your deck and the best advice at the moment would be to just enjoy it ......... (y)

But since you have asked and quoted me (and you have said it's fun for you) - I would still say definitely be saving for the Radikal. Your current deck is definitely good enough to show what it can do and it would give you the biggest improvement. Of course, it is a lot more money than a Kore which is better that the Majik sub-chassis. That being said the difference between a Kore and the Majik sub-chassis is not as great as that exists between a Radikal and a Lingo IMHO.

mskaye

mskaye
Wammer
Jul 8, 2019
US
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Assuming it already has a Karousel then Radikal next.
Biggest bang for buck would then be Kore depending on how far you want to go.
I am doing this a dot out of sequence but I felt I owed myself an Aro Kore. So I bought one! The sub-chassis was the weak link in my semi-state of the art 1989-ish LP12 (Karousel, Lingo 4, Kore, Krystal, circa 1990 Naim Aro...)

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sounds like a nicely balanced system. Any further upgrades are going to require a serious mortgage!!!

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not the first to make this comparison, but I view the LP-12 as I do the Porsche 911.
Brilliant if not perfect in it's original design, but relentlessly and continually improved upon over it's life. I admire both products/companies for that.
And many 911 owners most often found that modifying their cars with aftermarket parts led to a reduction in net performance, much I suspect, like the LP-12.
Interesting analogy - there's nothing 'perfect' about sticking the motor the far side of the axle. There's something very stubborn though in then spending 60 years to perfect the motor being in the wrong place to start with! ( with the Le Mans winning GT1 - the nearest a 911 has got to winning LM outright - the motor is actually inboard of the rear axle!!). I've definitely spent more over the years 'upgrading' my LP12's than I've spent on go faster bits for my 911s. I've added they few bits over the years but interestingly the few that I have used has improved performance - and been none Porsche. I'm a bit the same with my LP12's - I've got very few non- Linn bits - but the ones that I have I do prefer.

Reactions: Colinjg

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, the early 911s had lethal oversteer so I'm sure the lawyers had a lot of input into what needed fixing!!!

;)

Reactions: quinn_t

orthobiz

New Wammer
Feb 12, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
One person's a little more difficult is another's royal pain in the a... I have worked on one and am not a fan of trying to get the suspension adjusted properly.
Hey, that's my subchassis! TO'K did a great job with grace and aplomb and nary a grumble. While I knew in my heart it wasn't his cup of tea, my TT is humming along just fine now. I promise not to stray again, Tom. (hope your fingertips have recovered from all that twisting)
Paul

BTW, my first post so go easy on me LOL

mskaye

mskaye
Wammer
Jul 8, 2019
US
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I am doing this a dot out of sequence but I felt I owed myself an Aro Kore. So I bought one! The sub-chassis was the weak link in my semi-state of the art 1989-ish LP12 (Karousel, Lingo 4, Kore, Krystal, circa 1990 Naim Aro...)
Kore for the Aro installed! Sounds great. Lowered the noise floor. Music emerges from blacker silences is my main takeaway resulting in... more music and lovely musical singing quality to what I've been listening to. I have to say that I am perceiving way less record noise on everything I've played. It's obviously digging more music out of the grooves.

JBC

Wammer
May 25, 2021
Here's a question -
I'm currently at LP12/Karousel/Radikal2/Kore/Akito2B/Krystal level.

If I get a keel next, then the lift-lower mechanism of my akito won't work. Keel plus Ekos SE gets a bit expensive, so I'm wondering if anyone has used an Ekos SE on a kore as a temporary stopgap?

Asked in a different way, if my eventual goal is keel/ekos SE, is ekos first a dumb way to go?

ThomasOK

LP12 Whisperer, Lejonklou importer
Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Not at all. Just because the hierarchy states the ideal way to upgrade an LP12 or a system, doesn't mean that it can't be bypassed, preferably temporarily, for sound mechanical or economic reasons. An Ekos SE/1 will most certainly give much more music than the Akito when used on the Kore. Yes, the Akito on the Keel would be even more musical but it is impractical for most people. Unless you hear an Akito/Keel in comparison you will never know the difference and you will still be quite impressed with the musical improvement the Ekos SE/1 makes.

For many, many years we had the Ekos and Ekos 2, which are also a lot better than the Akito3, and all we had to use them on was the Cirkus sub chassis - a definite step down even from the Majik sub chassis and certainly well below the Kore. Yet we were quite pleased with the music that came forth from those LP12s. So go for the Ekos SE/1 and add the Keel when you are able. You will be a very happy camper with each improvement.

Wenge1

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Sep 19, 2021
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Because of some physical limitations I would not be without my lift/lowering mechanism. From your question it seems to me that you too would at least prefer to have the use of the lift/lower mechanism and therefore keep it for the moment and go with the arm upgrade onto your current Kore. The Ekos Se is streets ahead of any Akito iteration IMHO and I think you will love the upgrade it will bring to your deck. You can then save for Keel and bring it onboard at some point in the future to suit your bank account ..... (y)

By the way - that's exactly what I did and i never felt I was missing out in anyway ...... 😎

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Besides, since prices are going up (again :cry:) next year, you'll save more by getting the Ekos SE/1 first.

Reactions: Wenge1

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Besides, since prices are going up (again :cry:) next year, you'll save more by getting the Ekos SE/1 first.
While that is certainly a possibility, considering economic conditions around the world, I have heard nothing coming from Linn to indicate that this is expected.

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Only certainties in life: Death, Taxes, and Annual Price Increases!

ThomasOK

Wammer
Oct 19, 2018
Westland, MI USA
AKA
Thomas O'Keefe
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I will note that Lejonklou HiFi has had only one model with a price increase in the US in the past several years: the Entity increased to $2795 for the 1.2 model from the $2695 of the 1.1 model. Older units upgradeable for $80 plus shipping.

I do expect a significant price increase on the upcoming Tundra Mono 3.0 power amp that replaces the 2.2. However, that is a completely new model: new and substantially improved circuit boards with some more precise components, including inductors custom made to tighter tolerances for Lejonklou HiFi by the manufacturer, new output devices with twice the current capability, upgraded power supplies and other improved parts. So not just a price increase.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.