Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Right i've sold my B&W 603's...I'm now in the market to replace them, as currently i'm using my old standing JPW AP2's..

I've got £300 to spend, to match in a system of: Linn Majik-I, Micromega Stage 1, Chord Cabling...

Suggestions would be good, i've got some Atacama stands so will consider a stand mount, or ideally another (but better) floor stander?

Cheers in advance!

Injector

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
In a shed
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Pamela Anderson's Gusset (
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif
) was selling some fine speaks for around your budget - look in the classifieds. Maybe, just maybe they're still available.

A

adam

I used my micromega with some B&W cdm1,great comdo,maybe worth tracking down,more body than the 600 series,and refined treble.

syep2001

Wammer
Wammer
May 5, 2006
Plymouth
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Emma Royd wrote:

Yoda900 had the same pair under pams sold ad £125,did you see that?
Pm'd thanks...

What are the views on Castle Speakers? Theres a pair near me, the Severn Mk1's? Improvement over the B&W's?

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Buy Biscuit's Sonys. £1500 standmounts for £300! Look in the Dealer Classifieds.

G

meninblack wrote:

Buy Biscuit's Sonys. £1500 standmounts for £300! Look in the Dealer Classifieds.
be better than the castles too I bet
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif

G

personally I find castles boring, my cousin had the little brothers of these sony's a number of years ago, and they were fun, take the badge off, and replace with a castle one
biggrin.png
PS I'm sure he'd arrange a demo

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
meninblack wrote:

Papa Lazarou wrote:
meninblack wrote:
I thought Jezzer has bought these?
He chickened out!
I did...
sad.png

Even with the Sony's great reputation I can't afford to take risks anymore.

Still, 300 quid. That's a HUWGE amount off their RRP. Must be some fine engineering in those cabinets.

E

Effem

syep2001 wrote:

hmmm, i've looked before, can I get over the fact they're made by sony, hmmmm
Sony haven't actually ever made speakers themselves but contracted outthe design and build to others, only labelling them as Sony products. Behind that badge is probably some very famous name in the loudspeaker world
wink.png

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
no probs Jezzer - I did suspect you would be better going for some small Dyns to stay with a similar sound (I'm sure I even suggested going that route in a PM:p).

Anyways, yes the Sony's are great speakers, you are welcome to come have a listen if you like, but I can perfectly understand if you don't want speakers with a Sony badge (although obviously I feel you are missing out)

griffo104

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 30, 2005
Newport
AKA
Griffo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Linn Keilidhs - can get these quite easily for between £200 and £300 2nd hand.

And suit the Majik very well - I should know cos it's what I use in may main system and have been happy with them for the last 8 years.

I also have them all connected with Chord cables - and it is a very good match.

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The last speakers I bought without an audition lasted for about a week in my system...
sad.png

Custard Cream, I might take you up on that offer. I think you may have sown the seeds of doubt in my mind...

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
who made the APM drivers then Frank? I was sure they were proprietry Sony units?

I believelatterly the guy from Polk had free range over the sony speaker rangeIIRC. Got to do things he didn't have the money/resources to do at Polk.

E

Effem

Biscuit wrote:

who made the APM drivers then Frank? I was sure they were proprietry Sony units?I believelatterly the guy from Polk had free range over the sony speaker rangeIIRC. Got to do things he didn't have the money/resources to do at Polk.
As I recall Russell the folks at Sonynever did have one preferred manufacturer to outsource their speaker production to, so it could be anybody that made them. Up until the late 80's they were made in Japan, then they realised that europe had the talent to build better sounding speakers than the thin shrill squawky stuff the locals produced
biggrin.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.