BBC Sounds app for streamers?

on the rocks

Wammer
Dec 13, 2020
Sheffield
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apparently from 21 March the only internet access to BBC radio will be via BBC Sounds, and no streamer or packaged internet radio will work on BBC unless they have BBC Sounds installed.

As far as I'm aware no streamers are available which have BBC Sounds on board.  Does anyone know any different?

It seems I'll be relying on my FM tuner for some time yet

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Apparently from 21 March the only internet access to BBC radio will be via BBC Sounds, and no streamer or packaged internet radio will work on BBC unless they have BBC Sounds installed.

As far as I'm aware no streamers are available which have BBC Sounds on board.  Does anyone know any different?

It seems I'll be relying on my FM tuner for some time yet
Tune in radio has bbc.

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I understand it may not after 21 March
 it's not long returned!  bbc's loss..I'm not going to hunt about to  listen to the patronising bbc..radio 3 is bearable until the smugness starts..and as for the guardian radio..sorry radio 4... if I want to celebrate alternative lifestyles..isnt that my choice? Or should I be grateful its foisted upon me by the bbc? Rant over for now...lol

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You don't by chance have a Virgin V6 box do you (others may work). I go from this to my DAC via an optical cable. You can the obviously play it with the TV screen off.

Reactions: Nearly bewildered

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As already noted and one of the reasons I love Logitech Media Server for many years i used the BBC iPlayer plug designed for this server and this presented the best quality stream on offer for all BBC channels . Sadly with the switch over to BBC Sounds the plug was not able to be updated and so the owner contacted all of those using to let us know so we could remove it. At the same time another clever user of LMS has created a BBC Sounds plugin which once installed andf signed in to allows me to find any of the material on BBC Sounds and play that again at the best quality level that BBC are putting out. Use this every Sunday to listen to the Cerys show and use it to also listen to Craig Charles Funk and Soul Show but never on the night it goes out .

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
 it's not long returned!  bbc's loss..I'm not going to hunt about to  listen to the patronising bbc..radio 3 is bearable until the smugness starts..and as for the guardian radio..sorry radio 4... if I want to celebrate alternative lifestyles..isnt that my choice? Or should I be grateful its foisted upon me by the bbc? Rant over for now...lol
This is one of the reasons I completely binned television 2 years ago. I refuse to fund the BBC via a TV licience or any other means. £150+ a year to be lectured to by a pseudo elite bunch of I've had a reality bypass virtue signalling I have my head stuck up my arse w***ers. And the proliferation of lecture dramas they call soaps followed by I'm a bellend get me out of here dickhead on ice and it's ilk, aimed scatter gun style at the drooling low IQ sheeple. Now when I visit friends and family I look at the TV in disgust and wonder how I managed to waste so much of my life on such low brow banal dross. 

on the rocks

Wammer
Dec 13, 2020
Sheffield
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you.  I’ve not heard this on my Linn DS - which uses TuneIn - so I’m crossing fingers it continues.  What device did you hear it on?
I haven't heard it yet because I don't have a streamer, but this will influence my decision whether to buy one or not.  It would be interesting to knoe what Linn have to say on ths?

2010*zuma

Super Wammer
Wammer
Nov 12, 2011
Caerphilly castle
AKA
Young Neil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The BBC are very welcome out of my life😊

... it must be nearing 3 happy years this year🎉

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Brown

Beer, Curry and Cornish Pasty Tester. BBQ Nut.
Wammer
Aug 17, 2018
Didcot
AKA
Dave Brown
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is one of the reasons I completely binned television 2 years ago. I refuse to fund the BBC via a TV licience or any other means. £150+ a year to be lectured to by a pseudo elite bunch of I've had a reality bypass virtue signalling I have my head stuck up my arse w***ers. And the proliferation of lecture dramas they call soaps followed by I'm a bellend get me out of here dickhead on ice and it's ilk, aimed scatter gun style at the drooling low IQ sheeple. Now when I visit friends and family I look at the TV in disgust and wonder how I managed to waste so much of my life on such low brow banal dross. 
Heh, don't watch the BBC but do listen to R6 Music. Only reason we have a TV is Rugby and Moto GP mainly, but do like the output of various select sources like Netflix / Amazon / Disney. Yeah 47 years old but I still love Star Wars, Avengers, Avengers spin offs, and things on Netflix like "Happy!" and Prime like "The Boys", both of which are truly excellent and should be watched if you like your humour dark and violent.

Reactions: Nativebon

Nifkin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2019
Highgate London
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been getting the message using my Yamaha Musiccast stuff. Yamaha changed from Tune-in as their net radio provider to Airable two years ago. This is exactly why I won't spend loads on a streamer. It's annoying cos I listen to Radio 6 a lot, which isn't available via traditional radio, only online. Of course I can stream Sounds from my phone to my Musiccast stuff via Bluetooth, but that doesn't match WiFi quality. 

Ah nevermind: there are still tons of good web-based stations available anyway.

Swines.

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was going to post earlier but thought the BBC heads would not be happy  :)    I dont like the way you have to give them your details to use the most simple of services ? They've got their DJs doing it too. They want to tax you rather than offer a good service.  My life has been better without the BBC the last few yrs.  Even 6 music has ended up like radio 1 but I do like a couple of shows on a sunday.   Sinister motives  & shit service means they are no longer part of my establishment.  Firk em.  Think we should all question why and who we give our money to ?  Customer is king..not stupid.

fled

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 30, 2007
Dartmoor
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My name is Phil, I've been TV free for over 25yrs. Not one one relapse in that time. I've tried therapy but it's no good, I just can't force myself to watch TV. 😁

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles