BBC Sounds app for streamers?

garn63

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Mar 3, 2020
www.avfc.co.uk
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been getting the message using my Yamaha Musiccast stuff. Yamaha changed from Tune-in as their net radio provider to Airable two years ago. This is exactly why I won't spend loads on a streamer. It's annoying cos I listen to Radio 6 a lot, which isn't available via traditional radio, only online. Of course I can stream Sounds from my phone to my Musiccast stuff via Bluetooth, but that doesn't match WiFi quality. 

Ah nevermind: there are still tons of good web-based stations available anyway.

Swines.
Your right reg web radio. If folks put some effort in there are real music enthusiasts putting their collections for free & uninterrupted online.  Reg Tune in. Airable is the same people but used with manufacturers & gives better sound quality ? Regs. M.

* You can email Airable & suggest a channel.  It will usually be on by the end of day ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
This is one of the reasons I completely binned television 2 years ago. I refuse to fund the BBC via a TV licience or any other means. £150+ a year to be lectured to by a pseudo elite bunch of I've had a reality bypass virtue signalling I have my head stuck up my arse w***ers. And the proliferation of lecture dramas they call soaps followed by I'm a bellend get me out of here dickhead on ice and it's ilk, aimed scatter gun style at the drooling low IQ sheeple. Now when I visit friends and family I look at the TV in disgust and wonder how I managed to waste so much of my life on such low brow banal dross. 
Yes.. couldnt agree more...would be nice to have a choice of what opinion I should have? But there's only one opinion on the bbc..and if you dont share that opinion..then theres something wrong with you..I agree there is something wrong with me..I can actually think for myself!  Everyone has a right to be happy! Great..be happy. but why must the bbc smother me with how wonderful the alternative is?  I just want to watch rugby without being wound up..I can do ten mins or so of radio 4 news in the morning before i have to switch it off..as it starts to enrage me.. cant I just have the news without the views? Seemingly impossible..

Reactions: fled

Nifkin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2019
Highgate London
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes.. couldnt agree more...would be nice to have a choice of what opinion I should have? But there's only one opinion on the bbc..and if you dont share that opinion..then theres something wrong with you..I agree there is something wrong with me..I can actually think for myself!  Everyone has a right to be happy! Great..be happy. but why must the bbc smother me with how wonderful the alternative is?  I just want to watch rugby without being wound up..I can do ten mins or so of radio 4 news in the morning before i have to switch it off..as it starts to enrage me.. cant I just have the news without the views? Seemingly impossible..
What utter twaddle.

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
What utter twaddle.
Thankyou...at least you read it,  now what happens is..maybe tomorrow you might listen to radio 4 and think..hang on, that's not right..or why didnt they ask that politician harder questions..or maybe why is the guardian and the BBC so similar in their outlook? That's a good question..if you can provide me with a answer please Nifkin..I would be grateful..thanks mate, I look forward to being enlightened..

Nifkin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2019
Highgate London
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't think the Guardian and the BBC are that similar. I think the Beeb has a plurality of views: some mainstream, some alternative. I don't like all their output, I pick and choose, isn't that the point? I listen to bits of R4, bits of R3, bits of R6. Probably my favourite radio show is Giles Peterson's Saturday afternoon show. But if I can't listen to that via my streamer any more I'll listen to WorldwideFM instead.

on the rocks

Wammer
Dec 13, 2020
Sheffield
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gosh, I'm rather taken aback at all the anti BBC feelings, but I'm not sure what TV has to do with anything. 

If anyone's interested in getting back on topic; my main interest is music on BBC R3 and BBC R6. I sometimes indulge in R4; I don't agree with everything they say but I enjoy listening to radio rather the being in an echo chamber.  I'm fortunate in getting quite good R3 on my FM tuner and I like the combination of familiar and unfamiliar classical (and other) music, Classic FM is so compressed to be a waste of FM bandwidth.  R6 is limited to DAB and hence quite poor, which is a shame as they sometimes have soe very interesting music not so familiar to me.

One of the attractions of pottentially getting a streamer was improved R3 sound and greatly improved R6 sound.  Any HiFi streamer manufacturer that integrates BBC Sounds; as well as offering all the other good quality streaming radio music may well get my custom.

Warszawa

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 12, 2013
UK
AKA
Joe
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I see as many people bashing the BBC for their left wing bias as I see people saying the opposite. They are therefore doing a good job and long may it continue. 

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I don't think the Guardian and the BBC are that similar. I think the Beeb has a plurality of views: some mainstream, some alternative. I don't like all their output, I pick and choose, isn't that the point? I listen to bits of R4, bits of R3, bits of R6. Probably my favourite radio show is Giles Peterson's Saturday afternoon show. But if I can't listen to that via my streamer any more I'll listen to WorldwideFM instead.
I'll have a listen to that Giles Peterson show..

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gosh, I'm rather taken aback at all the anti BBC feelings, but I'm not sure what TV has to do with anything. 

If anyone's interested in getting back on topic; my main interest is music on BBC R3 and BBC R6. I sometimes indulge in R4; I don't agree with everything they say but I enjoy listening to radio rather the being in an echo chamber.  I'm fortunate in getting quite good R3 on my FM tuner and I like the combination of familiar and unfamiliar classical (and other) music, Classic FM is so compressed to be a waste of FM bandwidth.  R6 is limited to DAB and hence quite poor, which is a shame as they sometimes have soe very interesting music not so familiar to me.

One of the attractions of pottentially getting a streamer was imporved R3 sound and greatly improved R6 sound.  Any HiFi streamer manufacturer that integrates BBC Sounds; as well as offering all the other good quality streaming radio music may well get my custom.
I don’t listen to BBC radio but can’t you just copy over the URL for each radio station on the streamer, or is that ending soon?

On my Bluesound Node I can add a url, I did it when Radio Paradise had a sever issue.

Heckyman

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 15, 2011
West Yorks
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Public broadcasting is one of the few areas where the UK is truly world class.

BBC Sounds needs data to "compete" with commercial services, people expect a personalized service with recommendations etc.

Nearly bewildered

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Nov 27, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

One of the attractions of pottentially getting a streamer was improved R3 sound and greatly improved R6 sound.  Any HiFi streamer manufacturer that integrates BBC Sounds; as well as offering all the other good quality streaming radio music may well get my custom.
Yes once a radio goes thru the streamer and into dac ..the sound quality improves a lot..agree re classic fm, radio 3 on the whole is excellent. I very much  enjoyed Beethovens life story on radio 3.. just dont like radio 3 between 5 and 7pm weekdays..I dont mind dab on my little mini system as I dont analyse it..  but once it goes near the main kit..I'm listening carefully..

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I haven't heard it yet because I don't have a streamer, but this will influence my decision whether to buy one or not.  It would be interesting to knoe what Linn have to say on this?
They usually have an input, though in terms of user numbers they must be a drop in the BBC’s ocean.  Arguably that’s advantageous as it’d make next to no difference   As it happens, with my Linn DS I can stream BBC Sounds from my iPad via Airplay, though I’m not sure it’s exactly the same data rate.  

I wrote to the Beeb previously regarding the earlier threat to drop their service provision on TuneIn. I pointed out that I’d simply switch back to FM where I’d been enjoying the radio for decades - completely untraceable.  Similarly, in the car we use DAB, and no registration required there either.  

PS. It looks like this when using Sounds...

4F4605DF-35B8-468C-86A4-65382F55D1BC.jpeg

bobovox

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 21, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve emailed the BBC to ask if the HLS and DASH-MPEG streams are affected. I’ve not heard any warnings that these are closing.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I have copied the url over from here: https://garfnet.org.uk/cms/tables/radio-frequencies/internet-radio-player/

Put it in my favourites and it is playing now. Sounds ok but I think it’s only mp3. There are some cd quality internet stations which maybe worth checking out.

Is BBC Sounds an issue?

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Blimey, I'm also out of synch here. I love the Beeb, well 10 percent of it anyway ! You just need to skim the cream I feel.

• Upvote
Reactions: JTW

meridian man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 9, 2009
Dublin, Ireland.
AKA
Robert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've downloaded BBC Sounds and so far think it's a very good package. Hopefully we won't lose access to it here in Ireland come march the 21st.

MartinC

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
R6 is limited to DAB and hence quite poor, which is a shame as they sometimes have soe very interesting music not so familiar to me.
Just in case you aren't aware, you can get 6 Music via Freeview and Freesat, which is at higher quality than DAB but lower than streaming:

http://www.astra2sat.com/radio/uk-digital-radio-bitrates/

I haven't used it much recently but in the past I've used digital outputs from PVRs for radio a fair bit.

On the 'I don't like BBC radio' front personally I'm a fan. If BBC TV disappeared I'd miss their news output but nothing else in particular. If BBC radio went I'd feel it was a huge loss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles