BBC Sounds app for streamers?

on the rocks

Wammer
Dec 13, 2020
Sheffield
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ive tried streaming BBC radio from the optical output on my smart TV via a Cambridge DacMagic, however the bit rate on the optical output was very low (despite a high speed ethernet input to the TV).  DAB through my upsampling tuner sounds a lot better

Phobic

Mildly Annoying
Wammer Plus
Aug 29, 2020
Worksop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
not quite what you might be looking for but there are solutions which use Airplay if you have a mac, or on Linn there is songcast.

this will allow you to play BBC sounds on a PC/MAC through your streamer.

I'd guess there might be other options out there as well - maybe chromecast based using a HDMI dongle, it would need some research

https://docs.linn.co.uk/wiki/index.php/Songcast

Nifkin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2019
Highgate London
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think it sucks a bit that's BBC appear to be supporting Sonos, Alexa and Google smart speaker devices beyond 22 March, but not anyone else at the moment, without some kind of workaround: I appreciate, for many here, that any excuse to add another box to their system to enable this is always to be welcomed 😉, but for characters like me, who run a minimal, stealth set up, it's a bit of a faff.

Swines 🐖

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, that is very helpful, because although I searched yesterday I’d not have found such an obscure heading!

I read it to say that manufacturers may need an update, but users don’t need to do anything.  And, selfishly, I can’t see anything suggesting TuneIn is affected, as that’s the service my Linn streamer uses - although I can use BBC Sounds via Airplay if necessary. 

HectorHughMunro

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2006
London, , United Kin
I don't think the Guardian and the BBC are that similar. I think the Beeb has a plurality of views: some mainstream, some alternative. I don't like all their output, I pick and choose, isn't that the point? I listen to bits of R4, bits of R3, bits of R6. Probably my favourite radio show is Giles Peterson's Saturday afternoon show. But if I can't listen to that via my streamer any more I'll listen to WorldwideFM instead.
I beg to differ.  The bias has become a problem.  It could well be the thing that loses them the licence. If that happens, they could lose three quarters of their revenue. 

Nifkin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2019
Highgate London
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I beg to differ.  The bias has become a problem.  It could well be the thing that loses them the licence. If that happens, they could lose three quarters of their revenue. 
Fair enough. We can agree to differ. Anyway: back to the BBC radio streaming issue.

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you have an LMS based system high res streaming options (320) are available. Man in a Van has been a great help getting these going properly
Aye. After some mild ranting I realised I could go back to LMS for Radio with the Sounds plug-in.

I'll wait and see if that's working after the cut-off date.

Reactions: Chumpchops

Nifkin

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2019
Highgate London
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've been listening to BBC R6 all afternoon (Giles Peterson's show is currently on) via my WXC-50 which uses (as I said earlier in the thread) Airable to source its net radio stations: I haven't heard that annoying message telling me to take action cos the service is going to be switched off on 22 March once. Does this mean that Airable have updated the URLs they use? Would be interested to hear from anyone else using a Musiccast device.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bigwig07

Wammer
Wammer
May 28, 2016
Surrey
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thankgoodness for proper hi fi quality on FM radio

Except the idiot politicians want to bin that too

Forum statistics

Threads