Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Again I like your distinction between the cerebral nature of classical music (I call it 'sitting down music') and the visceral nature of pop/rock (dancing, foot-tapping music). This distinction Ive alluded to and it works.
This is a general guide, but certainly not a precise one, as, as you and David (Gerontius) both mention, the whole idea of "art" is necessarily subjective - what appeals to me might not appeal at all to you, and vice versa. Does this make one of us "learned" and the other "ignorant", or, worse, possessed of "superior" or "inferior" taste? I think not. Ultimately we like what we like, and a love of Guinness is not inferior to a love of Château Lafite Rothschild, merely different. For example, I find this visceral, from 1.55

I guess an argument could be made that all of classical music is art, simply on the basis of its superior intellectual content (in a purely objective sense), whereas only some of folk/rock/pop/jazzz could be said to be. But then, if a rock number has the same effect on a person as Mr. Bach above has on me (wanting to play his or her air guitar, groove in his or her seat or get up and and dance), is that not also an artistic effect? I'd find it hard to argue that it wasn't. Like David, I also do not look down on pop/rock lovers, I'm just saddened that so many of them dismiss the classical world as old-fashioned and fuddy-duddyish. As I said previously, this is not entirely their fault, as the classical world has often been far to openly "high-brow" and stuffy, rather than try to communicate the astonishing riches of a thousand years of brilliant music.

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
A minor point. Most of what we term as 'classical' music is in fact a tiny distillation of the total music which has been out there over the centuries. Trust me, there is an almost limitless rump of useless dross which time has rejected. We are left with some thousands of pieces, by hundreds of composers, which represent the best.

Popular music has not yet benefitted from this distillation process. We do not yet know which music will survive.

Because of this, I maintain my position that classical music cannot claim an artistic high ground.

PS Have you heard, for example, some of the total tripe that Weber produced? An opinion of course, but it needs scuppering in the North Atlantic.

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
PS Have you heard, for example, some of the total tripe that Weber produced? An opinion of course, but it needs scuppering in the North Atlantic.
Carl Maria von or Andrew Lloyd, or both?

No, the latter is "Webber", isn't he, as opposed to the carburettor guy.

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A minor point. Most of what we term as 'classical' music is in fact a tiny distillation of the total music which has been out there over the centuries. Trust me, there is an almost limitless rump of useless dross which time has rejected. We are left with some thousands of pieces, by hundreds of composers, which represent the best.Popular music has not yet benefitted from this distillation process. We do not yet know which music will survive.

Because of this, I maintain my position that classical music cannot claim an artistic high ground.
I guess the question that has to be asked is, will there be a distillation process at all? The emphasis in modern pop/rock is for bands to write their own material, and NOT to use older stuff. As a result, very little older stuff is reused. There was a time when tunes became "standards" - they passed into the mainstream of popular entertainment. Think of how many recordings there have been of Lennon McCartney's "Yesterday" and George Harrison's "Something". I'm not conscious of that happening to any great extent any more. One does get rather unlikely cases, such as this, which must surely rank among the more improbable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cwsk0Vt76o0

What the Young brothers thought is not known...

P.S. "Useless dross" is perhaps a bit unkind - "ordinary" or "undistinguished" is perhaps better. One (this one anyway) thinks of the reams of stuff churned out by the French court composers during the reign of Louis XIV for his endless entertainments. Suitable for purpose, but in many cases not otherwise worth remembering.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My conversion proceeds...Trout, Rachmaniniv Piano Concerto No2 have been played at certain times of the day in preference to other genres and I am actively looking to selectively improve my classical collection.

Montesquieu is an avid classical fan who plays classical instruments, who has taught music, and has at least one degree in it was over the other night and brought round some vintage harpsichord, vocalised poems and other vinyl for us to listen to. I found it interesting and enjoyable. (He's written up our session on Art of Sound in the Community Network thread.)

I would like to collect half a dozen system-challenging LPs - any suggestions? Ralph Todes who is a HFW reviewer and plays in a classical ensemble has suggested that massed choirs might be the thing. The LPs must be 'accessible' musically.

Jack

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I guess that it is probably a good thing to check out what is forthcoming on BBC Radio 3 Third Programme FM - I never do since I stopped buying 'Radio Times' 30 years ago. I should check online/via cable or Freeview listings, but ...

It is possible randomly to find lovely 'Classical' music on Radio - various stations ...

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would like to collect half a dozen system-challenging LPs - any suggestions? Ralph Todes who is a HFW reviewer and plays in a classical ensemble has suggested that massed choirs might be the thing. The LPs must be 'accessible' musically.

Jack
To the best of my knowledge, the ultimate LP system challenge remains this:

B00005AQ38.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

They used actual cannon, not recordings, and it remains a test of the ability to track heavily modulated grooves without flying off into orbit.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To the best of my knowledge, the ultimate LP system challenge remains this:
B00005AQ38.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

They used actual cannon, not recordings, and it remains a test of the ability to track heavily modulated grooves without flying off into orbit.
Yes I read an article about the 1812 and I heard of this one. I would imagine its a bit of a collector's item and expensive. Ive got the Previn LSO EMI version (ASD 2894) which Im playing now, well I will be when Im done with the 'B' side (Romeo and Juliet).

Ive been playing highlights from The Nutcracker and The Pathetique and I like what I'm hearing. I do enjoy the brooding and drama he conveys. And the Nutcracker is delightful - if only it hadnt been highjacked by Cadbury.

Incidentally Ive been reading Rafael (sp?) Todes' equipment reviews in HFW and he mentions a period of Decca recordings that are supposed to be the heyday of analogue recording - know anything about this period (seventies) and why it was good?

Jack

Andrei

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 28, 2013
Napier
AKA
Andrei
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Jack
Carmina Burana by Carl Orff - probably the most colourful orchestral piece out there. Three choirs, soloists, large orchestra.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bigjules was over last night dropping off a Wilson Benesch Act .5 arm (thankyou Julian) and in the course of a very pleasant evening chatting and listening I played a record on RCA Victor (SB-6633) of 2 Beethoven Sonatas (F Minor, 'Appassionata, and Sonata in C, Op 2 , No3) played by Artur Rubenstein. It dates from 1966 and Ive no idea how I came by it but it sounded beautiful and I doubt, from its condition, if it had ever been played before. This experience prompted Julian to comment how some Decca series in the 50s and 60s were similarly well recorded with decent vinyl used and lots of care taken.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A current favourite which is finding my turntable quite frequently lately is a 1970 Phillips recording of Liszt pieces played by Claudio Arrau (how is that pronounced?). On side 1 you find Sonata in B minor and on the flip side there is 'Benediction de Dieu dans la Solitude, no3 and 'concert studies' ( Walesrauchen and Gnomereigen). Its beautifully played and the sound quality is wonderful - very quiet pressing too.

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ive come back to classical with a vengeance having not really progressed much in the intervening 5 years since the above post.

The catalyst was an obscure but entertaining ballet work that Jessica brought round a couple of months ago (see 'Room To Breathe' hypothesis thread in 2 Channel) which turned me on to classical music.

Ive keen on the usual Ravel favourites, also Danse macabre, etc., and the Four Seasons by Vivaldi has just had a terrific airing, but the work that really got me going was Stravinsky's 'Rite Of Spring'. This ballet is absolute 'bonkers and me, my SET driven  system revelled in it.

I only played it on the hunch it might suit me because it was written in the 20th century - and now, doing some reading, I find it was a revolutionary piece of music.

I do recall playing Petrouchka a few times in the past, but now I have broken the ice, I'm keen to obtain a good recording of it (mine seems to have gone by the wayside since then).

Any other Stravinsky performances should be investigating (LP only)?

Jack NSM

Non-Smoking Man

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ive come back to this thread because my renewed interest in classical music continues unabated.

Its been aided by the resurrection of my 5 way active horn system, which excels at the drama and excitement of classical combined with an ability to do 'soft' - i.e., dynamic range.

Petrouchka has just knocked me out, (again), and I was looking for a 'heads up' on other ballet music that has this unusual tempo (with 'stops'), quirky instrumentation and variety. I seem to be drawn to ballet music.

Wondered if anyone had some more suggestations re titles that I should look out for (vinyl only)?

Jack

bohemian

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 4, 2008
London uk
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've just been listening to two ballets by Arnold Bax. From Dusk To Dawn depicts Dresden figurines coming to 'life' during the night and dancing. Sweet music, not demanding but very enjoyable.

£5.99 on cd from Amazon but I don't know about vinyl.

Tony_J

Gone fishin'
Staff member
Mar 4, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Listening to Faure's Requiem right now - a delightful listen and very accessible.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online