Wammer
Wammer
Apr 19, 2009
Bucks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm listening to a lot of Monteverdi at the moment as it's the 450th anniversary of his birth. I was lucky enough to hear his 1610 Vespers at St John's Smith Square last Sunday, performed by Vox aluminise and the Freiberg Baroque Consort. It was a magnificent performance and if you like Monteverdi you can listen to it on the Radio 3 iPlayer as they broadcast the concert last Monday at 19:30. 

The Sonata Sancta Maria and the closing Magnificat in particular were superb. The Sonsta starts at 1hour 13 mins and is an absolute delight.

Happy listening.

Last edited by a moderator:

tones

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2006
Baselland, CH
AKA
Tony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My favourite version is the 1988 Gardiner live performance in San Marco, where it may have been performed (nobody really knows - it might only have been a sort of musical CV to get Monteverdi a new job). It can be seen here:

Not everyone likes the Gardiner interpretation (a lot of purists say "more Verdi than Monteverdi"), but I like it. Always glad that Gardiner got rid of the red nightshirts!

Last edited by a moderator:

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm quite a fan of the Philip Picket recording, I love Gardiner for some recordings, Bach, Handel but find his Monteverdi too large scale.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.