Wammer
Wammer
Sep 25, 2005
Wakefield
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The pathos classic one is such a stunning looking amplifier I'm tempted to alter my plans for a serious upgrade from my marantz pm7200/cd6000ki/and st600 tuner to something like Creek, Primare or even Naim,and instead just upgrade the amp to the Pathos (another likely candidate is the Audio Analogue Pucinni)

anybody got any thoughts/experiences of the Pathos? I've come across a review in Stereophile that suggested it was " the best amplifier ever" which i think is a bit OTT. I have read in another forum that because the Pathos was so bass-light he chose a Unico instead. I'm not into really heavy bass music

but when it's there like to hear it driving along e.g. early Cream (that dates me!!) or Kaiser Chiefs, Eurythmics,Bowie etc But most of the time it's singer -songwriter type material I listen to- Paul Simon/Johnny Cash/Dylan etc

An important quality for me is soundstage and more SOUNDSTAGE!!

any thoughts would be much appreciated

demonell

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2006
Bedford, , United Ki
Hi Paul

I havea pathos classic one (mk2) and can not praise it highly enough. I can't think of any downside, and find the soundstaging to be excellent. I would certainly not call it light on bass,which I find tight and well controlled. Midrange is sublime, and with vocals it absolutely sings. I've owned amps for 4 times the price, and to be honest the only upgrade I'd ever consider would be to buy another classic oneto monoblock them.

IMHO you'd have to spend a very serious amount of money to better the classic one, and if you can show me a sexier looking amp I'd like to hear about it. Build quality is alsotop notch, and as an overall package, you simply can not go wrong with this unit. I've been using it until recently with a £7k pair of speakers, and it'sby no means outclassed in this sort ofcompany.

Friends who have heard my system and own5+k amps come away scratching their heads wandering why they wasted their money.

My advice, demthe Pathos. It's a no brainer.

Dan

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
I think its a lovely amp, but to my taste I did find it slightly soft sounding. The bass is there, but not quite weighty enough and ever so slightly lacking in definition. I must stress that the comments are with reference to my personal taste because for the money its a mighty fine choice. If you are after a really exciting amp, then I'd look elswhere but if you want to be seduced this could be a good call. Definitely one that needs a longer demo.

Hawk

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
My secret could be out soon - I've nearly bought one so am really intrigued by this thread (obviously if I dont get on with it could be up for sale but somehow I doubt it will be
wink.png
).

From all I've read the Pathos sounds like a dream so might be able to tell you more about it next week.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
paularcher wrote:

The pathos classic one is such a stunning looking amplifier I'm tempted to alter my plans for a serious upgrade from my marantz pm7200/cd6000ki/and st600 tuner to something like Creek, Primare or even Naim,and instead just upgrade the amp to the Pathos (another likely candidate is the Audio Analogue Pucinni)anybody got any thoughts/experiences of the Pathos? I've come across a review in Stereophile that suggested it was " the best amplifier ever" which i think is a bit OTT. I have read in another forum that because the Pathos was so bass-light he chose a Unico instead. I'm not into really heavy bass music

but when it's there like to hear it driving along e.g. early Cream (that dates me!!) or Kaiser Chiefs, Eurythmics,Bowie etc But most of the time it's singer -songwriter type material I listen to- Paul Simon/Johnny Cash/Dylan etc

An important quality for me is soundstage and more SOUNDSTAGE!!

any thoughts would be much appreciated
Paul, I would PM Dynamic Turtle he has one, paired with italian speakers a dream made in heaven, there is one going cheap here :

http://www.ukd.co.uk/bargains/show-bargains.asp

You have a nice cast list there considering your upgrade (Creek/Primare/Naim) and the Pathos, all differing sounding, you should also consider the Prima Luna range of valved amps, VFM ratio is hard to beat, although not a patch on the Pathos visually they have many many fans, If I was considering valves it would be the Primaluna 2 or Pathos Classic One.

demonell

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 13, 2006
Bedford, , United Ki
Funnily enough I too now run my Pathos with some rather delicious Italian speakers, Aliante One Zeta (standmounts), having previously used them with Dali Euphonia ms4. I have to mirror cjr's comments "a dream made in heaven". The combination works so well together it is a truly moving experience with the right music. As a bonus, the solid walnut frontplate on the Pathos (and the remote) matches the solid walnut cabinets on the Aliante's, mathcing perfecntly both visually and acoustically.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Demonell It goes without saying that it should be paired with a pair of solid walnut fronted/sided !!! (just for you Demonell, dem look lovely BTW)Italian beauties. Anyone with thekeen astheticeye to consider a Classic One, will be drawn to the walnut side.
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
demonell wrote:

cjr, not wishing to be pedantic, but as is common with Italian speakers, walnut sided would be a more accurate description than walnut fronted.
onezeta3.jpg
Nice, very nice.

emeratop1.jpg

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
gsrai wrote:

My secret could be out soon - I've nearly bought one so am really intrigued by this thread (obviously if I dont get on with it could be up for sale but somehow I doubt it will be
wink.png
).From all I've read the Pathos sounds like a dream so might be able to tell you more about it next week.
That'll be Neil's PrimaLuna pre-powers then Gobind?
wink.png

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
demonell wrote:

So as not to get too far off topic, I think this deserves a post too..
newclassicone.jpg
I'm in love
500000033.gif.92511e2005a900cfb9bb836a01712b3a.gif

Papa, close but no cigar
Bird.gif.e5ad7f48d8bb596824f2dfdd3446d314.gif
rofl.gif.57a0859802223cfb25763a5f876a4be6.gif

I've bought the Pathos above (so all these poweramps I'm testing might be pointless - fun though)

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Papa Lazarou wrote:

Very nice Gobind :^I hope you get many years of pleasure from it.
Thanks, I was saying to Earl yesterday, if this doesn't work then I'm going to give up and get one from that great brand - Alba :shock:cos' I really am tired of changing(don't mind building a second system but I've struggled to find that special something).

Did you go for the Esoteric in the end or did you buy the Wadia from Shadow (only lasted 2 days!)
wink.png

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
Pathos sure is a departure from MF, Gobind! Looks a lot better to these eyes too, not to mention next seasons must have from the company wont be replacing it. Good choice.

gsrai

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Black Country
AKA
Gobind
Have to admit I'm quite nervous about it but as with all things I've gotta give it a go.

I nearly bought Hawk's PrimaLuna but kids/styling put me off but then I got thinking about Hybrids and saw this Pathos beauty. I'm actually quite glad you think it will be a big change as all the things I seem to try are never quite chalk and cheese just subtle.

The MF stuff's not gone yet and I reckon I'll always keep the X-Ray/X-A2 as they are quite special but I'm not convinced the Nu-Vista is a true valve sound (time will tell) and as I'm trying the Sugden Bijou range at the moment as well I can see if the Sugden is as good as the Nu-Vista as some reviews have claimed.

Will keep you posted though.

emale

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 21, 2006
The DSOTM.
AKA
Dave
gsrai wrote:

Have to admit I'm quite nervous about it but as with all things I've gotta give it a go.I nearly bought Hawk's PrimaLuna but kids/styling put me off but then I got thinking about Hybrids and saw this Pathos beauty. I'm actually quite glad you think it will be a big change as all the things I seem to try are never quite chalk and cheese just subtle.

The MF stuff's not gone yet and I reckon I'll always keep the X-Ray/X-A2 as they are quite special but I'm not convinced the Nu-Vista is a true valve sound (time will tell) and as I'm trying the Sugden Bijou range at the moment as well I can see if the Sugden is as good as the Nu-Vista as some reviews have claimed.

Will keep you posted though.
Hi matey,

Welcome to club Pathos. I done exactly the same as you and went from Musical Fidelity to Pathos. If you're anything like me hifi wise, The first few hours with your new toy will seem to be a bit of a dissapointment, I'll explain why.

The MF gear seems to drive speakers with effortless power, and sounds loud. When you switch over to the Pathos, things will sound quieter and probably a bit limp to be fair. Give it time, you'll notice things get a bit better after 20 mins or so when the amp warms up but you'll still think "its not as loud, bassey etc". Keep listening and try the following.

Listen to voices, you'll hear emotion in them like you have never heard before, they'll sound softer and more natural switch back to the MF and things will sound a bit clinical and cold. Listen to the intruments to, notice how everything sounds so much more natural, guitars sound warm etc etc

listen to the air around instruments and the soundstage, on the MF everything sounds shut in and boxy. Turn the volume up, as you turn the MF up the soundstage starts to sound even more compressed and shut in, things get pushed together, and you'll get to a point where you can't turn it up further simply because the sound just goes to hell, sounds to loud. Do this on the Pathos and it just gets better. The air stays around the instruments etc and the soundstage doesn't sound one bit shut in, it just keeps getting better.

The bass will sound very quiet on the Pathos compared to the MF gear but you'll actually notice the bass lines more and it wont sound bloaty ir make your ears vibrate.

Give it a day or 2 and I'll bet your smiling and wondering why everyone else hasn't discovered this little gem of an amp.

Enjoy.

Dave

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.