Stylus cleaning is sticky stuff enough?

Ady

Shoebox Ady. United by a love of music & equipment
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was under the impression that regarding fluid to clean the diamond what matters is what the cantilever is made of, mine is boron so no issues however, some cantilevers can draw the fluid up them which can cause problems?

Cheers Ady 

p147

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 3, 2009
Sunny Sussex, UK.
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Stylus cleaning is sticky stuff enough?

I would not now use anything that is sticky, as it is more than likely going to pull on the cantilever, I use magic sponge for more stubborn stuff and a long  artist sable hair brush for the fluffy stuff, however as been mentioned earlier with a good record cleaning machine you should rarely have to clean the stylus.

Reactions: MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was under the impression that regarding fluid to clean the diamond what matters is what the cantilever is made of, mine is boron so no issues however, some cantilevers can draw the fluid up them which can cause problems?

Cheers Ady 
As I mentioned before I used fluid cleaners for 50 odd years without any mishaps so Presume those who have a problem must have been misusing the fluid.🤔

Has anyone actually had a stylus failure or dropped off that they can attribute to using a liquid stylus cleaner?  Lots of doom & gloom talk about it but no solid evidence that I know of.

leenorris78

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 1, 2009
London - SE23 -HOP
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
As I mentioned before I used fluid cleaners for 50 odd years without any mishaps so Presume those who have a problem must have been misusing the fluid.🤔

Has anyone actually had a stylus failure or dropped off that they can attribute to using a liquid stylus cleaner?  Lots of doom & gloom talk about it but no solid evidence that I know of.
I never used an official stylus cleaner or liquid, just one of those magic erasers (though I do mostly use the blow on it really hard method mostly). If that does not work, the little brush comes out. I have been known to use the green paper when I first discovered these things. Once I invested in a record cleaning machine, there is little crud to bother the stylus.

However, I have had a diamond come off my Denon DL-160. One record it was there, then it was not. Maybe the magic eraser? I think just a cartridge failure.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Must admit I also used to use the quick blow it method mainly but once the Dustbuster came along I realised that the blowing method still left some debris/dust on the stylus which the dustbuster picked off.

well it was'nt using a liquid that caused it if you did'nt use any so you must have been unlucky and got a wrong un that was'nt glued on well maybe🤔

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Finally got my hands on some Audio Technica AT607a stylus cleaner fluid on Saturday👍

I decided to do a little experiment over the weekend to see how clean the Dustbuster keeps a stylus which I use after every fourth side. I know it removes any dust because you can see a tiny fleck on the black surface but is there other more stubborn dirt building up over that time?

On Sat late morning I started by using the fluid & brush on my stylus then gently dabbed it very carefully with a bit of tissue to dry it & see if any grime came off. There was a bit of discolouring on the tissue showing there was some grime/dirt on the stylus. I then played my music thru the day as normal using the dustbuster as usual.

On Sun morning I cleaned my stylus again with the fluid and brush once again dabbing the stylus to dry it and again found some discolouring on the tissue not as much as on Sat on the first clean but it was there for sure. I have done the same over Sun and into today to get a similar result again but again a bit less.

I guess my conclusion is obvious there is a place for gentle/careful wet cleaning of your stylus after maybe 8 to 10 records (16 to 20 sides) I should also mention all my vinyl is washed & vacumed put into a new sleeve before being played wether new or 2nd hand also I have never felt the need to repeat the cleaning process again on my vinyl.

Please draw your own conclusions.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have a Audio Technica AT637 vibrating stylus cleaner,  not used for years, not sure if it’s safe for a Rega MC?
Don't see why not, I've used mine across a whole range from AT95, A&R P77, OC9 & Hana SL through Transfiguration Axia S, Sumiko Pearwood and now Koetsu. Never had a problem but only tend to  use max once a month for a deep clean or when stylus has some Stubborn shite on. 

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Never even seen one of these ere vibrating cleaners stick a couple of pics on John 👍 pretty please.

greybeard

Super Wammer
Wammer
Mar 7, 2010
Cornwall
AKA
Colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There you go Steve

IMG_8862.jpg

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got one of those vibrating cleaners, but I've never dared to use it.

My 'issue' with all these things is that they stylus itself is incredibly tough. However, what it's attached to is incredibly delicate. The cantilever obviously, but I'm more concerned about the suspension and coil assembly at the other end. When an LP is playing, the thing vibrates of course, as that's what produces the music. But it's massively less vibration than is produced by one of those cleaners. Seems to me to be subjecting the whole thing to much more mechanical stress than it was designed for.

It's all about cost and fear basically. I'd happily clean an AT95E with a wire brush and Dettol, but I'm not going anywhere near my 50ANV with anything other than a soft brush and a gel pad.

dannybgoode

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2019
Up t'North
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The guys at Soundsmith always recommend White Tack.  They put a piece on a dime so a 10p piece works well and then just gently lower it on to that a few times.  If it is good enough for them it is good enough for me!!

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The guys at Soundsmith always recommend White Tack.  They put a piece on a dime so a 10p piece works well and then just gently lower it on to that a few times.  If it is good enough for them it is good enough for me!!
As in 'white' Blutack?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online