Wammer
Wammer
Jan 21, 2015
Sittingbourne
AKA
Andy Andrews
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My dealer lent me several ISOL 8 bits of kit because I have/ had a ‘flutter’ on my phono input. I liked the Mains conditioner. It improved SQ. Not cheap but hey, yes. I would have brought it. Not impressed with a mains gang that accompanied it. Feedback to dealer. He delivers a better mains block to try but says ‘I thought you ought to try this’. This, being a ISOL-8 Sub station which cost A LOT MORE THAN I WAS PREPARED TO PAY!!
Short story. I am now heavily in debt😀. I can’t remember any upgrade that delivered what this does.

Windy Miller

Wammer
Dec 20, 2021
Lincolnshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My dealer lent me several ISOL 8 bits of kit because I have/ had a ‘flutter’ on my phono input. I liked the Mains conditioner. It improved SQ. Not cheap but hey, yes. I would have brought it. Not impressed with a mains gang that accompanied it. Feedback to dealer. He delivers a better mains block to try but says ‘I thought you ought to try this’. This, being a ISOL-8 Sub station which cost A LOT MORE THAN I WAS PREPARED TO PAY!!
Short story. I am now heavily in debt😀. I can’t remember any upgrade that delivered what this does.
i had the local dealer suggesting I tried an Isol8 Substation. May I ask which one of them you have now? My electrics are fairly poor and I had a moderately priced main block on loan which improved the sound quite a bit. I’ll give the Substation a go - it sounds like a good piece of equipment to try.

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i had the local dealer suggesting I tried an Isol8 Substation. May I ask which one of them you have now? My electrics are fairly poor and I had a moderately priced main block on loan which improved the sound quite a bit. I’ll give the Substation a go - it sounds like a good piece of equipment to try.
I would strongly recommend looking at the Puritan mains units - far more realistic pricing than the Isol-8 kit, and astonishingly effective - I acquired a PSM156 on spec, hoping it might help with an issue I have, occasionally picking up a radioham who lives a few houses away - whilst it did not get rid of him (it has subsequently emerged that he also has a VHF license, so I think I have an uphill battle ahead...) I was amazed by the level of collateral benefit - unintentionally amongst my most significant recent upgrades to my system - MH

Strider

Show me your Fooses
Wammer Plus
Jan 16, 2006
Here and there
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With flutter I'd be looking much closer to the turntable drive than rather mains conditioning for the phono stage. TBH its not the mains coming in but what the motor in the TT that causes flutter, I'd check that the drive is accurate - a resistor failing? A regulator going south and not nailing down the frequency that the TT platter revolves even if your mins is 50 Hz or 60 Hz the TT PSU will still bang out the correct RPM to the motor.
A mains filter is just a mains filter but flutter is down to turntable speed instability - check the belt, check the direct drive quartz speed thingy if you have one, sorry bud IMHO you're putting the cart(ridge) before the horse.

Last edited:

Minicoupeman

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 21, 2015
Sittingbourne
AKA
Andy Andrews
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Strider. While greatly reduced I still have flutter. My T/T power is a 2 year old DC supply from Mitchell. Should I send it back? There is of course a separate motor.

Windy Miller

Wammer
Dec 20, 2021
Lincolnshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would strongly recommend looking at the Puritan mains units - far more realistic pricing than the Isol-8 kit, and astonishingly effective - I acquired a PSM156 on spec, hoping it might help with an issue I have, occasionally picking up a radioham who lives a few houses away - whilst it did not get rid of him (it has subsequently emerged that he also has a VHF license, so I think I have an uphill battle ahead...) I was amazed by the level of collateral benefit - unintentionally amongst my most significant recent upgrades to my system - MH
Thanks ever so much - I’ll look into them.
Cheers, Windy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.