Linn Owners

What’s is the best order for LP12 upgrades?

Icedragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 2, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Withe regards to the PS, if it hasn't already been done, I'd have the L1 serviced by Class A - the difference between a serviced and non serviced one is significant. I'd do this because, within your 'modular approach, I'd then keep it, wait and search for a decent Ak. Radikal and skip the L4 step completely. I have both a Keel/Rad/Karousel and a L1 (serviced)/Kore/Cirkus here and I listen to the latter a lot- it's good. The Kore has an Ittok. The Kore was donated from my other LP12 when the Keel came along. It had an Ekos on it at that time and I thought long and hard about drilling the hole or trading the Ittok. I had reason to send the Ittok up to AO just before he stopped servicing them and it came back healthy - so I drilled the hole. I don't regret it. A healthy Ittok on a Kore is a very competent performer. Just one thing to watch if thinking about an earlier Ekos - the Benz may be quite a tight fit. My Ekos is the second version (before the SE) and a Lyra Delos was a very tight fit.If the Kore stretches the budget then it's worth bearing in mind that a current Majik sub is quite a step from the Cirkus - more a 'Kore light'. I actually still like what the Cirkus does but if I was in a mood for upgrading then I'd probably swap it for a Karousel whilst I had the deck in bits (Interestingly I didn't do this with mine - the Cirkus was quite recent and as I quite liked it I kept it in there (and still do)). I do have the luxury of one with and one without though.
Good idea to get the Lingo serviced £100 seems a bit of a no brainer, how much do u reckon the Radikal would be SH? Is the headshell on Ekos 2 roomy enough for Benz (200 × 100 × 100 mm)?

Tendaberry

LP12 Scholar
Wammer
Oct 9, 2018
Hamburg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Good idea to get the Lingo serviced £100 seems a bit of a no brainer, how much do u reckon the Radikal would be SH? Is the headshell on Ekos 2 roomy enough for Benz (200 × 100 × 100 mm)?
Which Benz is that? The Benz Whopper? ;) You could get an Akurate Radikal for around GBP 2.000,- or maybe less. I would also skip the Lingo 4 step and get the second-hand Radikal, which later could be upgraded to Radikal/2.

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Which Benz is that? The Benz Whopper? ;) You could get an Akurate Radikal for around GBP 2.000,- or maybe less. I would also skip the Lingo 4 step and get the second-hand Radikal, which later could be upgraded to Radikal/2.
I paid around that for my ex demo one (it was ex demo during Covid so pretty much unused)! I bought it just before the "2' versions came out and so a Dynamik with some warranty left should easily be below that now.

Reactions: akamatsu

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, mine was £100 or so - it is a no brainer. No idea on the Benzeverything is a tight fit on the Ekos 2 but somehow I've managed to get everything on that I've needed to (the cartridge tags are likely to need dressing -see Peter's tips on the Cymbiosis site).

Dasher

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Switchover was serial number 6200, unless you’re referring to something else.

’troll
I wasn't certain that the switch over number was set in stone - but I knew that it was under 7000 as mine is over that.

Icedragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 2, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another thought is the Mober sub chassis a viable alternative to the Kore? Is it of the same standard and are there any issues with the Karousel?

Icedragon

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 2, 2008
Cardiff, Wales
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I like that, difference of £412 leans heavily towards the Mober, do you think Linn dealers would have any objection to sourcing and fitting that, or at least fitting if I sourced?

sktn77a

Audio Dinosaur
Wammer
Nov 11, 2014
NC, USA
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I guess it depends where you are located. Peter Swain at Cymbiosis would do this for you but I suspect most Linn dealers would not.

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would check this - not because Peter may not do it, but it would be reasonable that there will be a fitting charge if he does.
You beat me to this.
Peter isn’t very keen on out there mods. :unsure:

Reactions: Wenge1

Sound Man

Wammer
Aug 7, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Peter will not give any advice unless you purchased the gear from him. My experience was asking Peter, how do I rebalance my Linn Ekos SE tone arm? He would not offer one dot of advice or information. The reason being that I had not purchased my LP12 from him!! I have no wish to play the dealer politics game. In the end the Linn support team gave me all the help that I needed with no secrets or magic.

Last edited:

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Peter will not give any advice unless you purchased the gear from him. My experience was asking Peter, how do I rebalance my Linn Ekos SE tone arm? He would not offer one dot of advice or information. The reason being that I had not purchased my LP12 from him!! I have no wish to play the dealer politics game. In the end the Linn support team gave me all the help that I needed with no secrets or magic.
I find that amazing and unlikely.
He travels from him own place of work to me in Scotland where support is very poor and I didn’t buy my deck from him.
I’ve never found him to be anything other than entirely forthcoming and helpful.
In fact he freely created all these free setup guides especially for those that might not be local and find advice in short supply.
These are the LP12 setup guides written by Peter Swain.

Linn Sondek LP12 Set Up Guide Vol I

Linn Sondek LP12 Set Up Guide Vol II

Linn Sondek LP12 Set Up Guide Vol III

Packing your LP12 for transportation in your car

Last edited:

Sound Man

Wammer
Aug 7, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, somebody at the dealers refused to give any advice. Yes, I did read the LP12 set up guides. I could not find a section on re balancing the Ekos SE. This is not the first time I have had problems with this dealer, I once asked about the sound difference between the Urika I and II and again the same response - no help!

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, somebody at the dealers refused to give any advice. Yes, I did read the LP12 set up guides. I could not find a section on re balancing the Ekos SE. This is not the first time I have had problems with this dealer, I once asked about the sound difference between the Urika I and II and again the same response - no help!
I think this is very unlike anything I’ve encountered and would love to have heard the conversation.

Hello how do I balance my Ekos se arm ?

Not telling you.

Doesn't add up maybe you’ve got an axe to grind.

Anyone with this level of deck should be more than conversant with the simplicities of arm balance.

Sound Man

Wammer
Aug 7, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have no axe. I just wanted to ask for help and advice. The reply was not 'Not telling you' but that I did not purchase the arm from them end of!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles