Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think I'm almost certainly going to be moving away from big floorstanders due to a change of layout/ lifestyle and need to consider small speaks.

Possible ideas would be proac or sonus faber with a sub, or micro floorstanders like totem arrow or neat motive 2

will be using these with a 50w valve amp and a sub so main speakers need to image and voice well as a priortiy

Any suggestions? Budget would be about £2k

Neilb

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2007
Selhurst, Croydon,
AKA
Neil
stevied wrote:

Sonus faber cremona auditors (awesome)
Seconded. Very good, as are my domus concertinos but you need a sub.

I'd look at small proacs, WB arcs. B&W 805's. Personally though I think Pro Ac response D2's would still give enough Bass without being too huge. Usher 718's are actually pretty bulky in the flesh. Suprisingly so.

WJJ

Wammer
New Wammer
Mar 22, 2010
Birmingham
AKA
Wayne
Proac Tablette Reference Signature 8, one of the best small standmounters I have heard. Although being an owner I would say that. ;-)

forresthump

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 14, 2009
Darkest Cambs
All the above suggestions are good (esp the Proacs). But if you did want to go with a micro floorstander, I highly recomend the new Kudos X2. The realism and spread to the image is unblievable from such a small box.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Was listening to the Neats (Motive 3's), Spendor S3/5R's and ATC SCM7's yesterday, and none seem to tick all the boxes as well as the ProAc 1SC's that ive heard several times as wammers home / show. Not heard any other standmounts that just play music as well as these do! :^

Could try the Spendor SA1's, not convinced that there will be a huge difference over the S3/5R's though presentation wise.

The Harbeth P3ESR are onmy to do list, not found anywhere local that has them though....

Jezzer

Unspecified Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
B&W 805s

Leema Xone (small floorstanders with superb imaging and sense of timing)

ClassikFan

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Surrey
AKA
Stuart
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With up to £2k to spend the WB Arcs would be high on my list, ex dem or VGC second hand.

mr.me

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2009
Somewhere
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Aurum Cantus Leisure II SE with ribbon tweeters

As shown here in my previous system. Great imaging and work superbly well with a sub

Professor Chaos

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 6, 2007
Toronto
AKA
Kelley
For standmounted; Reference 3A Dulcet, right on budget, fairly easy to drive, and very good imaging. If you can stretch your budget, the same company's MM de Capo iis really worth the difference in price.

jayatno10

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 21, 2009
Near Rugby, Warks
AKA
Jerry
I'll second the Ref3a Dulcets, best small speaker I ever heard. Using mine with a 30wpc RWA power amp and get plenty of Db! 50 watt valves will drive them no problem I would think. Audition some if you can.

d_a_n1979

Bigger than you
Wammer
Nov 10, 2007
Lost; in Lancashire
AKA
Dan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I heard some Dali Mentor Menuet's today and they were superb... Tiny though but great soundstage.

You'd need a sub to fill out the bottom end though!

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
guys thanks for all the suggestion, plenty of food for thought here, and I think I will have to put together a shortlist and plan some dealer auditions.

Slightly surprised the neat motives didn't get more positive voicing here, I have a soft spot for Neat generally and the motives on paper look idea from a size/child friendly point of view.

Never heard any proac units but am not surprised by the positive 1sc comments, again i will have to audition a pair.

Jan 11, 2006
Psilonaught wrote:

guys thanks for all the suggestion, plenty of food for thought here, and I think I will have to put together a shortlist and plan some dealer auditions.Slightly surprised the neat motives didn't get more positive voicing here, I have a soft spot for Neat generally and the motives on paper look idea from a size/child friendly point of view.

Never heard any proac units but am not surprised by the positive 1sc comments, again i will have to audition a pair.
How about the petite sx

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Just get the Response 1Sc and keep the change for music/booze/wild women or whatever...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online