Starting an mp3 based sourced from scratch

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
OK, this has been on my mind for a while, so ...... let's say I wanted to put together a source for listening to ripped music.

Is there any way thatI can do without a 'fulltime' PC?

I appreciate that I have to rip the CD's to a hard drive first, but once done, is there anywayI can connect said device and move on ? I have neither desire nor space for a PC, wirelss connection or not.

WhatI do have space for is a squeezebox and a few of those wee 256gb hard drives

Is this do-able?

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
what about a pc using this
biggrin.png

http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=259099

259099-A.jpg

fits in your hifi rack.....
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Craig wrote:

I appreciate that I have to rip the CD's to a hard drive first, but once done, is there anywayI can connect said device and move on ? I have neither desire nor space for a PC, wirelss connection or not. WhatI do have space for is a squeezebox and a few of those wee 256gb hard drives
You need a device that can interface with the data on the harddisk, so a harddisk by itself won't suffice... If you have a Squeezebox, then it'll easily play the songs on a computer harddisk (but then the computer will have to be on). Alternatively, get one of those harddisk player jobbies, eg Transporter by the same company as Squeezebox...

Of course if you have the SB (or something similar) you can listen to internet radios without a computer on, but you'll still need an internet connection.

Hope that helps...

JJ

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
The Cambridge has interested me, but I'd figured that cost of Squeezebox plus hard disk, minus the numerous bugs in the Cambridge (unless there's a recent firmware I don't know of) was the best option.

There's also the Yamaha version 1300 wotsit, but squeezebox interface seems the easiest.

Tannoyboy. Thanks, but what exactly is it ??

I'm loathe to have a PC running non stop, so perhaps this is not really a realistic goal. Sonus is a wee bit out of my range as I still like CD, but don't want to start building classical and other music selections with all the CD's that go with it.

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
Think I've made a mistake... the Transporter is actually a suped-up SqueezeBox with better internals/electronics aimed at audiophools... But Slimdevices do a 1 terrabyte server... so don't have to have computer... Price on their website was US$1500 with 2 SBs:shock:

JJ

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The squeezebox won't work without a PC to act as a music server. A hard disc unit on it's own cannot act as a server - you need a processor running some kind of operating system and network software.

Without a PC, you are looking at dedicated devices such as the Cambridge - I believe there are other options too.

An iPod (or similar) would work, but you need some kind of PC to get the music onto it in the first place...

The thing in Tannoyboy's post is a home theatre PC.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Craig wrote:

The Cambridge has interested me, but I'd figured that cost of Squeezebox plus hard disk, minus the numerous bugs in the Cambridge (unless there's a recent firmware I don't know of) was the best option.There's also the Yamaha version 1300 wotsit, but squeezebox interface seems the easiest.

Tannoyboy. Thanks, but what exactly is it ??

I'm loathe to have a PC running non stop, so perhaps this is not really a realistic goal. Sonus is a wee bit out of my range as I still like CD, but don't want to start building classical and other music selections with all the CD's that go with it.

Its a computer case, that has a remote control (to control music etc) and is the same width as av/hifi componets, made as a Home Theater PC (HTPC).

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Craig - what about contacting andrew on here, he has some interesting ideas, and you could even consider a older basic PC runnimg some flavour of Linux for the server side, you could get away with something like a well abused AMD 650 with a fair lump of memory and a hulking big hard drive or 3 for a squeeze box to talk to. Shove the PC in a cuboard close by?

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Craig not sure what you will end up with, but if your going to have a 256Gb hard drive, you dont even have to go to MP3, Uncomped WAVs - you will still have loads of space on their for that. MP3 wise, not knocking it, I actually find Mp3 320 very listenable to these ears, now MP3 @ 320kbps on 256Gb HDD - well that zillions of tunesTBH.

davidcotton

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2005
, , United Kingdom
Hi

The cambridge is a music server. You basically rip all the cds onto the harddrive and it plays out to the amp like normal. Plenty of opinions either way for it over on avforums.com

The route I've gone is the Qnap/Squeezebox 3. The qnap is basically a hacked NAS (networked attached storage device) which can run the necessary software for the sb3 (in this case slimserver). At the most basic level its possible to have the qnap connected to the pc and rip all the discs to the qnap, then when all the cds are ripped just have the qnap connected to the sb3. I went for the 500 gig version purely because I didn't want to have to worry about space. I've also set the folder structure so its Artist>Album>songs in FLAC format.

One proviso, make sure that if you go the qnap route that you get one with slimserver preinstalled. As of present time there is no way of doing it yourself. Advancedmp3players sell them.

Its also worth pming Andrew 1810 on here as he knows his stuff about this type of thing far more than I do and was extremely helpful when I was trying to decide which way to go!

Its also worth checking out the slim forums over at www.slimdevices.com.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Craig

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Copenhagen
AKA
Craig
Oh crikey, the shame of this one. Realised that i never said a big thanks and :^for the replies on this thread.

I'm still working out what to do, and also how much I have to spend on it.

Andrew, I now realise, helped me elsewhere and his advice was indeed spot on. A few more loose ends to tie up and I'll be onto this soon enough

Anyway, this thread may be useful to others so get's a bump. And thanks once again

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online